Latest PvE modes show a glaring flaw

Played through another Dungeon Run today and had soooo much fun while doing so. Even the bosses I called broken before are so doable compared to what was added afterwards in Monster Hunt and Rasthakans … I really hope that the next adventure is more balanced like D.R. instead of those two.

1 Like

Actually dumb and overpowered is the norm.

If they were did smart but not overpowered A.I. people would do the exact same comments with the difference that they would lose just because they suck and there would be nothing to devs do about it if people hate due to still lose.

The only thing i can see is a heroic mode with A.I. that aren’t only more powerfull than normal ones but also smarter. Yet little to no people would play it and if it had a worth of dificult prize people would whine like no tomorrow like they did with arthas portrait.

I just played vs raith or whatever in woods. Boss 7, he plays 3 raise 7 any minions that died in a row. Literally unplayable.
Before that, 2 raise 2 friendly minions.

I agree with you that th design is garbage. They think that since it’s single player they’ll just crank up the difficulty.

Rastakan rumble last boss starts at 3 mana with their broken deck. Also horse manure. I can have the craziest synergiest deck, and still get smashed since the opponent is playing insane combos on turn 2 that you can’t recover from.

Theres a fine line between too easy which is boring, and just unfairly broken. It is hard to make something fun while still providing a challenge for all player skills, but that’s kind of the point of being game dev

(I’ve beaten these modes multiple times with all classes, in case anyone tells me to get better).

I honestly believe that they had semi-good intentions that went horribly wrong. My guess is that they try to cater to so-called hardcore fans who demand an “experience like we had in Naxx/Blackrock - hey you also remember that sweet hard stuff and not this casual bs?” when in reality all they did was to crank the artificial difficulty to 11 which simply demands you to try all modes over and over to finally draft something useful.

Sometimes this works and can actually be fun - sadly this changed with Witchwood when they basically went overboard with every second boss.

1 Like

I’ve given The Lich King a few more attempts and give up…I beat it once with Priest and was trying for portrait but its not worth having to craft all these cards for ONE broken boss and a portrait.

I have over 100 attempts on Priest in Dungeon Run - less than a 1/100 chance of winning. Haven’t touched it since.

I chose the Rogue for Monster Hunt and was doing quite well - I got the jade spell that summons another jade. Disconnected and never saw that spell again. I made it to Toki and lost. Never touched it again.

I saw RR solo content on YouTube. Never bothered to play it.

And now…they expect me to pay gold/cash on this nonsense? No thank you.

I hate to bust your bubble but not ALL of us want to play against impossible odds. Most games have checkpoints, or a few retries. Most games also have difficulty levels that you can select before playing the game.

Which is what made adventures great - they were fun to play but I’m not interested in heroics. I’m just not - sitting there and hitting restart until I get the “god-draw” or the “god-buckets” doesn’t seem very skill intensive to me.

Furthermore, I cannot justify crafting legendaries I don’t have just to beat a boss for a portrait. I mean…

That’s not how it works tho :wink: If you play rogue, you get the Captain, who is the only “nerfed” boss because his weapon has no permenant lifesteal anymore. This one is doable now and you can give Tess (rogue) another try in Monster Hunt.

I don’t know how it works and I don’t care. I did the quests for packs by conceding to the first boss repeatedly. I hate the bucket system because nothing ever aligns.

I remember her hero power was to repeat the last spell you played.

My experience tells me that rumble is much more difficult than monster hunt, for the most part. The problem isn’t actually the opponent’s deck, but the huge snowball they get for starting with 1-2 extra mana.

Ya… I love the idea of these single player gauntlets that mimic an arena format where you build your deck every round…
but every time I go back to play, I get reminded of how frustrating some of the later bosses can be.
I don’t need to win every time, but when a boss resummons seven minions that died that game (not 1/1s, just the full minion itself)… and does that 3-4 turns IN A ROW… wtf lol

2 Likes

Rastakahn Rumble is the only single player Adventure that I have had zero fun with…it starts out ok but after the first 2-3 fights…it quickly becomes so,one-note with barely any way to deviate or alter your strategy. Kobolds may have taken me longer to,do everything…but there was a LOT to do…multiple strategies, Relics and buckets to offer each class quite a few options to play and win with. The Final Bosses felt like a real RPG Boss fight and defeating every single one was beyond satisfying. Not to mention the secret and extra fights.

Sure it wasn’t perfect with some Nosses fought later than sooner being near unbeatable…but the chance was there.

Monster Hunt I also enjoyed thoroughly, but you could see some of the changes that lead to RR being so…boring.

2 Likes

Okay. So im reading so many posts talking about issues with Rumble Run. Well. I don’t want to be that person, but I finished Rumble Run quite easily. Twice. Maybe, it had something to do with the two Tavern Brawl that had unleashed all the heroes and shrines, which I obsessively played for two weeks. Hadn’t had enough so moved onto the adventure afterwards and it was a cakewalk thanks to the highly competitive training.

But yeah I completely agree. Some of the previous solo adventures are quite flawed and they never fixed it. Like I just got flooded with the Gnomenapper in Monster Hunt. What on Earth is that??? I mean, yes, board control would work, but only if your cards are lucky. Like my deck had several Hunting Mastiffs and Unleash the Hounds, with passive powers of ‘Enemy minions cost 1 more’ and ‘Your minions have +2 health’. That’s like board control perfection (even more, if Adled Grizzly also turns up). But no. None of the godforsaken cards ever turn up.

I guess in these solo adventures, it’s heavily dependent on card luck as well. First six rounds in Monster Hunt, I went in great, it all messed up in Round 7 and game over.

But then. Kobolds was the worrssst, with full enemy decks and you die of fatigue. I still haven’t managed to kill the Death Knight. Which is fine, I guess. Took me a while to finish Blackrock, which was a good training ground to be honest.

Compared to all this, The Dalaran Heist, I must say, is really meticulously designed. I’m having a LOT of fun with it. It’s the right balance of challenging but conquerable. And there’s plenty of options in hero powers and starting decks to experiment with your own permutation and combination. One of them always works. I have finished the Dalaran Bank, Violet Hold and the Streets on Normal mode and Bank and Violet on Heroic. Heroic took me a LOT of attempts, but I didn’t mind it, because the more times I attempted the more options opened up. And so far none of the bosses seem unfairly powerful. Some of the final bosses did initially. But the passive powers like ‘Your minions have permanent stealth’ and ‘Your minions have +1/+1’ is like a juggernaut combo…

Well that’s because you have attempted twice, and that’s not enough sample. In the same case, I finished Rumble Run 5 times in a row when it came out. If I had stopped there, my win rate was 100%. But then went on losing streaks. After trying all sorts of shrine / treasures combinations, Rumble Run basically pits your RNG deck (which can have little interactions with your selected shrine) against bosses with synergy cards, higher health, mana cheating bosses and OP cards not accessible to players normally. In other words? There is little skill involved finishing the run, RNG has bigger factor.

Dalaran Heist is better, but the fundamental design is still the same. In the end it’s a matter of selecting the correct OP treasures/cards and drawing them at the right time so you have answer to whatever the enemy is playing. The treasures that you list are basically what I would say ‘S’ class treasures that will define and almost guarantee success of your run. Why? because they either disable some of the bosses play, or give you a different form of mana advantage to help combat the later bosses cheating with extra mana at the start of the game. It just shows how mana advantage can 100% decide the game if you don’t have to spend a turn obtaining it. As an example, if you have Captured Flag (gives +1/+1 to all your minions), if your deck contains mostly minions, then you basically start with 1 extra mana as your minion is now as strong as creature that cost 1 more.

But you don’t always get those treasures. Some treasures are just inherently terrible compared to the others. For example, Hagatha’s Embrace that gives a random minion in your hand +1/+1 at the beginning of your turn. How is that better than Captured Flag that constantly gives ALL your minions +1/+1?

And some bosses really need to be looked at because without the specific treasures, there is absolutely 0 way for you to win. Haro is such example.

The only thing I can agree is Dalaran Heist is much more better than the other adventures. Bartender Bob allows you to edit your deck albeit limited, and this is great as you can adapt to certain treasures you have found during your run.

1 Like

“For example, Hagatha’s Embrace that gives a random minion in your hand +1/+1 at the beginning of your turn. How is that better than Captured Flag that constantly gives ALL your minions +1/+1?”

You do realize Hagatha’s Embrace can buff your minnions to extremely high values…the measely flat +1/+1 gets out valued past the first couple Bosses, while getting a cumulative +1/+1 can and often gives you beastly minions.

Ive used Embrace twice and it’s served me really damn well…

Definitely. But your scenario is rare and extremely inconsistent. It will depend on your card draws as well as the treasure buckets you are presented with to manipulate the buff exactly you described. I have been in your scenario as well but when you play heroic mode vs the later bosses, consistent treasure trumps the inconsistent ones.

You said you used it twice where it was successful. I have used it 5 times myself. But out of how many runs have you used it and it failed to save you? In my case, I lost more than when I grabbed captured flag. It’s just because how hearthstone mechanic and how the bosses are designed.

You also need consistent treasure vs against certain heroic bosses to even stand a chance.