It's official - no pity timer

Opened 42 Boomsday packs with no legendary. Opened a ticket with Blizzard and this was their response. (Emphasis added)

“Thanks for reaching out to about the Boomsday packs that you opened! I understand that you weren’t given a legendary after opening 42 of them. I can understand how that feels frustrating, for sure. >_<
That said, after doing some research here, it looks like whenever a new expansion set is released, a legendary is only guaranteed within the first 10 packs that you open in that set, regardless of how the packs were obtained. (earned or bought)
Any further packs after that is just subject to RNG. There is no guarantee after a certain point.”

5 Likes

Then they have removed it… It cannot have been a coincident that people when reaching 39 packs, have found a legendary on the 40th, me included 100% of the time…

4 Likes

Or OP missed a legendary. Or miscounted the number of packs. Seems like attempting to disprove something as well established as the pity timer should require more than the forum equivalent of hearsay.

16 Likes

Except this in not just hearsay but an official response by Blizzard saying is does not exist.

7 Likes

Not really, they’re just saying it’s not promised. The only promise is “one legendary in the first ten packs”.

If there is a pity timer, the CSR was probably thinking “yeah, OP miscounted how many packs they’d opened since the last legendary”. But why bother getting into an argument? They can just say “I’m very sorry, sir, but there’s no guarantee of how often you get a legendary.”

(Whereas if the bug report had been “I opened my first ten packs and got no legendary”, they’d probably have dug into the server records to check.)

Except it is hearsay. You’re claiming that’s the response you got, and provide no evidence to support it. Screenshots are a thing, you know.

3 Likes

you forgot your official source

because we know when the ptty timer was bugged and some people didnt get their legendaries they got 2000 dust as compensation

and only them because those of us who didnt hit the timer during the bug didnt get the dust

1 Like

Nothing new. It has never been officially acknowledged by Blizzard.

2 Likes

Also, in all likelihood, the CSRs only know what’s been promised. Blizz made a few specific promises: 1 rare or better in every pack, 1 legendary in your first ten packs.

Maybe there is a pity timer (there sure seems to be a lot of evidence for it, for both Epic and Legendary cards). But since it’s not promised, there’s no reason the CSR would even have heard about it.

1 Like

Screenshot: replace (dot) with . and (slash) with a /

ibb(dot)co(slash)GdQ3kSB

Unless you have video, your claim is meaningless against the millions of data points that prove the existence of the pity timer.

The claim is that Blizzard stated that the pity timer does not exist. That stands regardless of “millions of data points”.

2 Likes

“Blizzard” said nothing. A GM who is only very technically not wrong said something which you misinterpreted.

Do you have a link to a post or article stating people got compensated due to a faulty pity timer because when I reported not getting a legendary after 42 packs I was told ‘Tuff luck, aint no pity timer’.

1 Like

Small correction: A Blizzard employee repeated the official Blizzard claims on legendary drop rate.
The “1 in the first 10” is official.
The “1 in 40 pity timer” is not. Blizzard, for whatever reason, does not want to go on record confirming this. So obviously a customer support employee cannot go against company policy by confirming that you should have received a legendary in your set of 40.

If you can find a good reason to reopen the ticket it will, eventually escalate to a support employee who actually does have the tools to check and verify your pack opening history. They will be able to tell you whether you were right in your observation of no legendary in 43 packs, or which legendary from which pack you overlooked.

1 Like

I don’t have a link. I do know it won’t work.
What they wrote is (I don’t recall the exact words, just the general gist of the message) that a bug in the pack opening algorithm caused some players to not get a legendary that they should have gotten; that they had identified the affected players, and that these players would receive compensation.
Neither the pity timer nor the number 40 was mentioned in the post.

When an official representative of Blizzard posts something it is entirely appropriate to say “Blizzard said”. And how did I misinterpret
“Any further packs after that is just subject to RNG. There is no guarantee after a certain point.”
You can doubt all you want that it happened but there is no doubt that Blizzards official stance is that the pity timer does not exist to the point they refuse to do anything if you report opening more than 40 packs without getting a legendary.

1 Like

Though even if that happened, I expect the only result would be an internal Blizz bug report saying “the pity timer isn’t working”. They wouldn’t compensate OP because the pity timer was never announced or promised, even though there’s strong evidence it exists.

1 Like

You said

That is very different than

Are your sure this was not about getting a legendary in the first 10 packs because or some special promotion the people missed. It seems a streach to claim

then go on to state

We know about the pity timer because of mass studies.

We know compensation was offered for the pity timer failure specifically because some compensated players (myself included) were not eligible for the 10-pack timer at the time of the bug and there was no other event going on at the time.

The CSR did not claim that there was no 40 pack pity timer. The CSR said that the only official pity timer is after 10 packs, which is true. The other has never been made official despite being well documented (for the record, there is also an epic pity timer at 10 packs).

4 Likes