Issues with Opening, Freezing and Black Screen on Surface Pro X

Step 2

Hearthstone will not open 90% of the time on my new Microsoft Surface Pro X. When it does I am unable to reroll the daily quests, and it usually crashes or goes to a black screen either in the middle of a match or as soon as one finishes, then wont reopen for several more attempts. I constantly get a Program Not Responding message whenever this happens. I have tried all of the fixes I have found in the forums or online. That includes uninstalling and reinstalling both hearthstone and battle.net, using the windows key & r to go to %localappdata% and deleting the hearthstone file, both allowing all accesses through windows firewall (I have no other anti virus installed yet), and turning it off completely, switching the region from US to EU then back to US, resetting my router and tablet, and assigning a dedicated GPU at highest performance. Sometimes these will make the game work as described above or not at all. Could this be a compatibility issue with the new processor/ graphics card in the Surface Pro X (SQ1), or is there just something broken in the latest Hearthstone patch on Windows 10 OS?

2 Likes

having the same issue on my Surface Pro X as well.
I have made sure that the Hearthstone directory was added to the exclusion list for Windows Defender. Cannot game to startup at all, so you are farther than I am. It just freezes at the launch screen.

I was hoping this patch would make a difference but if anything its worse now. Do you think its an issue with Hearthstone and the X’s processor or just hearthstone on Microsoft 10 in general? It seems like other people have been able to get it to work on their PCs. Almost has me considering returning the X for an Ipad pro instead, since its one of the main uses I have for a tablet.

I installed the patch and it did not change anything for me. Game still freezes immediately upon launch then eventually crashes.

The surface pro X has an ARM architecture, and as far as i know it’s NOT fully compatible. The proX is a new device, the compatibility issues are known because most of x64 apps are NOT designed for ARM systems. Devs just need to adapt, give them some time.

Check this out for more info: docs.microsoft (DOT) com/en-us/surface/surface-pro-arm-app-performance

Thanks for the info. Is there some way we could help to encourage Blizzard to expedite the work on a x64 or x32 version of the game?

I had some great luck changing the emulation settings under properties->compatibility.

Zafra has it correct. Change the emulation to strict and it runs. Playing battlegrounds on a pro x now.

Just want to add we don’t support this system setup as already stated it’s an ARM processor in a Windows environment. Heisenberg, If you would like to see support added make sure to post over on our General forums. Thanks for sharing that workaround zafra147 It is not supported by us but happy to see it’s helping.

Thanks!

If you are affected by this or would like to see ARM based processor support - please respond too the following general chat message to show your support: please-provide-support-for-arm-based-processors
Thanks.

Also, special thanks to Zafra147, as after playing with it a bit I got it working after modifying the emulation type as well.

How do you do this? All done on the surface pro X?

I also tried the save emulator mode but still Hearthstone isn‘t running stable.

I am wondering, how Blizzard can say that they don‘t support the future of mobile and tablet architecture.

I forget how I got it to work exactly - but IIRC it’s basically go into compatability settings and select ‘direct emulation’ and ‘32-bit’.

And yes, even after going through all of the options it’s still a bit awkward at times - but at least it consistently runs and doesn’t crash on me anymore.

I just purchased a surface pro x…any ideas on how you managed to get it to work would be great…I tried changing to strict emulation and no dice. How did you get it to change to 32-bit? Thanks!