IF I get Oh My Yogg'ed.... THEN...!

OK, we all know OMY, blah blah, it sucks, shills love it, people who secretly hate it also will chime in on this thread and say “it’s fine” just to flame me…

But, I seriously think the spell needs the following aspect of it reworked.

I was attempting to use the Priest spell, focused will, silence a minion and give it 3 health.

I was trying to use it on a minion that the pally had buffed up to 8/3 or else I was dead. (Pally had like 4-5 minions on board, but they were small, I needed the 8/3 to die)

So, Focused will (1 cost spell) was changed to the shaman spell lighting bolt, deal 3 damage…

I’m thinking, SWEET, the 8/3 is DEAD, I have a chance!!!

No, effing NO… that’s not how this piece of crap game works.

Lighting bolt targeted a RANDOM mob…

OMY states…

Secret: When your opponent casts a spell, they instead cast a random one of the same Cost.

NOT RANDOM TARGETS

Lighting bolt isnt “target a random target” and neither is focused will…

WHY WAS THE TARGET RANDOM? (oh no, here come @Mand…with some b/s)

The target should remain the same IF it has no random quality or null situation!

5 Likes

Honestly yeah, i don’t have much sympathy for quests getting oh my yogged even as a quest player since you can coin it. But it’s kinda annoying to always have to play against for a 1 mana secret that can feel a lot more triggering or convoluted than a 3 mana counterspell.

I’d sometimes much rather have a spell counterspelled then have it turn into a random card that can potentially clear your own board, delete cards, or turn them all into random demons and lose the game honestly.

It’s too much potential variance the player can’t control for a 1 mana card and it seems like a optional card for pally who also has some really strong, general climbing lists with pretty high 60-65 to 68% gold winrates.

Pretty good for the average joe, some of the highest honestly. Deck is good in the hands of the masses but drops off at legend for some reason since maybe other decks at legend play or combos some players might miss maybe flip things around a bit.

Still, i think you’re right, for a 1 mana counterspell, something like
"1 mana: turn a spell your opponent cast into a random spell of the same cost and put it in their hand. it costs 0 mana either [A: this turn] [or II: forever]"
Seems a fair nerf/rework.

I think it’s a good way to keep it as a 1 mana spell disruption, but let the player reuse a card. Sure it might be a big nerf but it’s a 1 mana secret they can cast for free. If you really wanted, you could just have it 0 mana and vanish from hand at the end of turn.

It keeps the disruption and gives less downside to pally for card vs card, but it means you could control the random spell at least or choose to not screw yourself over. Which arguably, a 1 mana card shouldn’t for so little mana.

1 Like

“random spell” has always meant random targets, like in “Yogg-Saron, Hope’s End”, “Oh My Yogg!”'s inspiration. The “Random targets” text on the older card is explanatory text, as you can tell from the fact that it is in paratheses and italicized; it is not required to make the card work as it does. From the Hearthstone wiki (can’t have a link://hearthstone.fandom.com/wiki/Oh_My_Yogg!): " Targets are re-chosen randomly." Working as intended and documented.

4 Likes

The point I’m not surprised that was missed… (never surprised people miss points anymore, when I speak to people anymore I just assume they have no clue what words are…)

I don’t care if it’s working as indented.

It shouldn’t work that way. (please see my OP for more reference)

That’s the ENTIRE POINT OF MY THREAD.

In case your scroll wheel is broken.

I don’t care what anyone says. OMY functions as a 1 mana CS most of the time.
If CS is costed at three mana, then OMY should not exist at one.

5 Likes

" The target should remain the same IF it has no random quality or null situation!"

Yes, I saw your point. My point is that your point is not correct, for the reasons I gave.

4 Likes

“I don’t care what anyone says. OMY functions as a 1 mana CS most of the time.
If CS is costed at three mana, then OMY should not exist at one.”

You can argue, and make a good case, that it is undercosted for what it does (certainly wouldn’t be the first Hearthstone card of which that is true). You cannot however, argue that it doesn’t do what it says it does.

OP lost his quest to oh my yogg right ?

2 Likes

Unfortunately never going to happen. You remember when moron lead dev mentioned that his new favorite card from that expansion was a new paladin secret? Yeah, he has no intention of changing this card.

Rofl’s.

2 Likes

“OP lost his quest to oh my yogg right ?”

Nope, lost a spell that would’ve debuffed a minion that would kill him next turn. Converted it to another spell that would’ve killed the minion outright, but it shifted the target, so the minion killed him.

2 Likes

Your point, was stating that it’s working as it was designed.

No S

Can I ask your OPINION regarding my statement? Or are you just a robot that copies and pastes things?

And thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

My opinion is that you are arguing that the card is not working as written, and that this statement is not correct.

Oh, it does what it says it does, alright. For two mana less than a Mage can do it.
If CS cost one mana every single mage deck would run it.
The card would be ubiquitous.
OMY is too cheap.

That’s not true either.

Show me. Show me the card. You don’t think I looked at all 3 cards involved in this scenario to make sure I wasn’t missing something?

The HS wiki may go into the programming behind the card and say targets are re-chosen randomly, but the card isn’t printed that way.

We all can read, I hope?

AND REGARDLESS

I don’t think the targets should be re-chosen randomly.

“Show me the card”

OK. " Secret: When your opponent casts a spell, they instead cast a random one of the same Cost."

A random spell means a spell randomly chosen from the appropriate pool with all choices involved in the spell made randomly, including the choice of target (if it has one). It has always meant this.

“We all can read, I hope?”

Well, I can. I can’t speak for you, though.

2 Likes

Its like everyone forgot the amount of hate counterspell got while costing 3 mana.

Lets print a 1 mana version on steroids that can win you the game on turn 1 if the opponent is realy lucky while playing around it with a 1 mana spell…

Epic · Spell · Ashes of Outland · Replace your hand with random Demons. Give them +2/+2.

You get this its over your whole plan out the window cancel your whole mulligan and delete your whole strategy.
Its a clown show card.

2 Likes

And this isn’t printed on the card.

Blizzard loves, with all of their games, to demand their customers go outside of the game to verify or learn rules, etc.

It’s nice that you went to a 3rd party site and did research and reported back to me… is that how games should work?

And regardless (I’ll say it again)

I don’t care if it’s working as intended. The re-roll random target is STUPID. What’s the logic behind it?

If you could explain the logic, I may listen to you besides you copying and pasting things you found on the interwebz.

Perhaps you could explain why a “random spell” shouldn’t actually be random? Other than the fact that it lost you a game, that is.

The difference is counter spell can’t hurt you and OMY can and does. They aren’t the same no matter how much you want them to be.

While I think this would have been beneficial in your specific case in the op, there’s many more cases where this would not be a good change. What if you had cast that spell on your own minion, then killed your own card? At least as written there’s a strong chance omy can backfire on the paladin and bail you out anyway.

2 Likes

Funny you say this, bcse I was weighing that outcome. I was also considering how random could be BAD for the enemy (when in my op, it was good for the enemy)

What if I was targeting a semi irrelevant enemy bcse the HUGE enemy minion would have never died anyway… random kicks in, huge enemy gets Hexxed. Bad for your opponent.

So, sure, random can go ALL ways, that’ why it’s random.

But I still think I’d prefer it not to be random, even if I gave kings to my enemy target instead of Hexxing it.

We have enough random already.

OH MY GOD

because the spell isn’t random, BRB, I need to show you something… ffs

Rare · Minion · Ashes of Outland · At the end of your turn, deal 6 damage randomly split among all enemies.

Common · Minion · Ashes of Outland · Dormant for 2 turns. When this awakens, attack a random enemy.

Do you see how the cards actually say the targets will be random?

Epic · Spell · Madness at the Darkmoon Faire · Secret: When your opponent casts a spell, they instead cast a random one of the same Cost.

Do you see how this doesn’t say the targets will be random? Do you understand what you are reading?

The spell it chooses is random! Not the target!

Neither the SOURCE spell NOR the RESULT spell were spells that chose random targets either!

YES, you pointed out that blah blah HS wiki, randomly generated spell, (vomit)

That’s great, but it’s not indicated ON THE CARD (omy)

YES, the cast spell changes and you cast a random one, and yes, as it is now, when you cast a random spell, it chooses a random target. I get its working as intended.

But if you really really think about it, I wasn’t INITIALLY, before OMY, I wasn’t randomly casting a spell. I had a target.

So, regardless of working as intended, I think its poorly implemented.

1 Like