Idea for Battleground Minion: A "Silencer"

I had an idea for a minion or minions that could be helpful for the crazy battleground metas, such as demons, quilboars, and Leapfrog beasts

The monster or monsters would have this effect: “Any monster this card attacks is immediately silenced,”

This means it would remove all enchantments, deathrattles, poison, and divine shields. Now this could be a hard counter, so I thought it could be neutral and/or have something like this in addition:

“This monster can not be enchanted in tavern or in combat,”

So the monster can only silence and not become a power house on its own.

1 Like

I like the idea, but that second line would be tough. I’d suggest just forgo that line and make it the same as Deadly Spore (a 1/1 neutral Tier 5). After all, even with all the shenanigans certain hero’s can pull, Deadly Spore has never been considered a power house, and the fact that (unlike Deadly Spore) its effect only triggers when it attacks means you can’t put Taunt on it.

Yeah, I just wanted to put some balance on it so people don’t get huge silencers that no amount of enchantments will stop. True, the silence effect only kicks when the silencer itself attacks, so if a poisoned minion attacks it, it will die from poison.

But I suppose just making them neutral would be enough, as there are very few exploits to supercharge them otherwise (the most major was Tirion’s hero power, and he was removed quite quickly after his release)

I don’t like the design: you basically pick this and ruin the opponent’s board.
It seems very unfun to play against such a card: you “work hard” to do a triple and in a second it gets silenced and you can no longer use it for the rest of the game.

If a silence card should be added, I would make something like “start of the combact: silence the enemy minion on the left for the combact only”.
So the opponent can play around it, by placing that minion in the 6th place, instead of the usual 7th.
Also, the next opponent won’t have an easy win because of a perma silence

Wow, no one said anything about the rest of the game. Nothing that happens during combat lasts for the rest of the game, so why should this?

1 Like

Yeah, the rule is that only enchantments that are done during the tavern phase are permanent.

The idea here is when the “silencer” attacks (Not being attacked), that removes all the buffs that monster has. The silence doesn’t stick around when the tavern phase happens.

1 Like

Ah ok, it’s fair then.
I thought it was a permanent effect, my fault for not playing enough BG

So today I thought of some specific silencer minions for BGs.

Library Enforcer: 2 tier minion. 3/3. Any minion attacked by this minion is immediately silenced. (Good basic neutral minion. Can be powered up, but not exploited as its neutral, unless Tirion is brought back as a hero). Picture: A bearded swordsman dressed in Dalaran colors, standing amongst shelves of books.
Intro: No talking in the library.
Attacking: I said no talking!

Library Guard: 3 tier minion. 2/5. Any minion that attacks this minion is immediately silenced. (The opposite of the above. The previous one silences when it attacks while this one silences when it itself is attacked). Picture: An armored Dalaran guard holding up an Eye symbol shield, his back to a shelf of books.
Intro: Quiet, please.
Attacked: I said, be quiet!

Bookmaster Bae Cho: 5 tier. 6/8. As long as this minion stays alive, no enhancements, summons, hero powers, or deathrattles can be played by either player in the battle phase. Picture: The Pandaren libarian from the Dalaran heist. She already exists and be used in this game. (The idea here is when she’s on the board, no changes can happen by either player. That means no deathrattles, no summoning other minions mid-game, no hero power, or enhancements. I thought making her affect both players would balance any possible exploit and require the player to use stragety around her).
Intro: Welcome to the library. Please be silent.
Attacking: I asked for silence.

Alternate idea for Bae Cho: Hero.

Hero power. Silence is Requested. 1 cost. Silence one random enemy minion before the battle phase begins.

This would be stupidly strong. You already have cards, which counter (almost) everything, just not all at the same time. and if there was this kind of minion, it would have to be T6 minion (something like 5/3)

You have 1/3 (and 3/5 dragon) which counters divine shields. You have 7/10, which counters baron comps. You have divine shields, which counters poisons. You have poisons, that counters high HP minions.

well again, the idea here is the first two are conditional.

The Enforcer only silences what HE attacks, not who attacks him. So let’s say he attacks a divine shield minion; the shield is automacially removed and the enemy takes damage as normal. But let’s say after that, a poisoned minion attacks him; he dies as he can’t silence when he’s attacked.

The Guard is the opposite. It only silences what it gets attacked by. And the minion retains its original stats (baring any damage). So let’s say the Guard is attacked by a powered up Terecgosa; she loses any enhancements she has that turn and can not be enhanced for the rest of the battle phase, but her stats would likely still be hired, so she still kills the Guard.

Bae Cho (as a minion) only affects stuff that happens during the battle phase, not the tavern phase. So power-ups (like blood gems, poison, divine shields) will not be affected by her. However, she does stop deathrattles (so no Leap Frog), generating minions or cards (no new blood gems from fury effects or attack effects) and general temporary attack buffs (like Scavenging Hyena or Mother Bear). And she effects her own player too, so said player can’t use those abilities.

However, if she is killed early on (let’s say by that t6 minion that attacks the weakest monster the opponent has), then her power shuts off and all stuff can proceed as normal.

I have considered her golden effect makes her only affect the enemy player, but that again requires three of the same minion, so I think its an acceptable trade off.

Maybe one silencer like the thread starter suggested. Also how about a taunt/ deathrattle silence a minion one.