I suck, what’s your best advice

If I type too much info, it will be hard to understand. So just keeping it short. Title says it all.

Before anybody says, git gud.
I need more info.

Lacking that sense of belief that your mulligan is correct ect… Just lacking stuff that every player on this forum has all ready set in stone. But I am being thrown around in a bucket like a wild baboon eg give me that info, do that, go, there, don’t do that ect… I mean I start thinking maybe I can’t find that info or maybe idk the info or I am asking the wrong question or even don’t know what’s happening to me because I’ve been told before when I started playing stuff that I forgot. And now it’s all starting to creep in with me purchasing several expansions thinking I will get better. But where does it stop? There’s got to be something that changes this. But that something is bazillion years away which floated away from the beginning of my game.

Real change happens when you made a decision and make effort towards it.

Many people may have problem to remain consistent, where they gave up before seeing any results.

Some people can understand the above easier, while some may have to get knock around before they can understand.

2 Likes

It’s actually very helpful to watch streamers play the game. The best of them (like Brian Kibler) explain what they’re doing and you see a decent amount of cards interact with each other.
Also: Playing the Singleplayer adventure let’s you try cards you haven’t played before. Just don’t make the mistake and mistake pve content for pvp (meaning don’t think a card is good because it works in pve and vice versa).

Best advice I’ve got is to play more and suck up losing.

Losing is an inherent part of the game. Two people enters, one person leaves.

If you happen to go on a losing streak, know that winning streaks will happen, and will inevitably happen, as is the nature of the game.

Watch trumps recahings on YouTube.

Really good lessons outlining the basics of tempo, aggro, control, tapping etc.

Learn how to play.

I’ve only been playing for 3 months but hit rank 4 each month -

I’d suggest playing midrange Hunter to learn board control… That is what I did… Once I learned board control I switch to warrior to learn control. Then warlock to learn how to play optimally at low health.

Play a lot of games with each class understanding how to use each class properly. Bu doing this you will understand also how to play against these classes and what’s coming.

Learn how to mulligan. Your mulligan will be different depending on which class you face. Ie you’re playing warrior against paladin. Probably aggro so mulligan for shield slam, reckless flurry, brawl, supercollider… But if you’re playing against control like priest for example… You hard mulligan for Dr Boom Mad Genius as you need value.

And take your time… When you think you know the right play… Spend another 30 seconds to loo at your options to see if their are any better ones.

I try to find 2 or 3 possible plays and then weigh up the outcome to decide what’s best

Think about what cards your opponent might be able to play next turn and try to play around their potential plays.

Watch streamers to learn. Although many don’t explain their plays

I used to stream a long time ago but not hearthstone… I might start again.

Try to find someone who goes slow enough to follow their plays but not so slow they bore you.

2 Likes

I agree with the others saying watching streamers is a good idea. One thing that helped me learn was watching tournaments. Having casters talk about decisions the players are making was very useful to me. It gets you in the headspace of “Why am I playing these cards and what things do I need to worry about?”

If you’re truly really really new, I suggest finding a class you enjoy playing and dive in deep on that. Learn that class in and out by playing it and you’ll learn what sorts of things you lose to and what your class is good at. Don’t be afraid to change your deck or look online for suggestions.

Losing is a part of learning. Whether it’s work, school, or games - the faster you fail and identify why you’re failing, the faster you can improve.

4 Likes

You don’t suck. You really just need to be a bit more confident and you’ll be fine.

You can add me: Gwyneth#11119 on NA. I’ll help you :slight_smile:

i watched a lot of Old guardians Youtube Chanel

Some might him fid boring, but he really explains everything

i advise you to quit before you get angry and depressed cause that’s all this game does.

1 Like

Except when your matching system puts people with beginner decks against meta decks and they get crushed. Your matching system is a joke.

1 Like

Sorry, I really can’t agree with your losing in life/losing in Hearthstone analogy at all.

While it is sound in life, it doesn’t even have an atom of relevance to Hearthstone.

The reason most people can’t compete is a) they don’t have the cards, in most cases legendaries/epics, b) they don’t run cheesy cut and paste decks with mostly guaranteed win/loss ratios and based on one or a handful of cards to win.

With no deck weighting or any sort of consideration that your opponent may have lost games recently but has a gold avatar, gold deck and gold legendaries for matchmaking - how on Earth can you learn from that?

Let’s analyse this losing scenario to get some life lessons from it - I don’t seem to be able to beat a Formula One car with my pushbike, what on Earth am I doing wrong every time?

But, but, the Formula One car lost their last five races against other Formula One cars, it makes no sense, I peddle as fast as I can every time.

There is a reason competitive sports have leagues/rankings and why they face - equal - opponents in their league/rank.

1 Like

In casual the matchmaking is meh because you start on the middle of the mmr scale

In ranked, you’re matched against people your rank and trust me, you do not need a meta deck to climb to about rank 15, I did that with Whizbang before switching to something serious to continue on to 5.

You really need to realize that you’re your biggest problem, not the matchmaking or your opponents. Your decks may be worse but I guarantee your decision making isn’t great.

If you seriously want to improve, add me and I’ll play a few games against you using Whizbang. I’ll probably lose several of them because a lot of the Whizbang decks are just bad, but you’d hate my real deck and I can still point out what you’re doing wrong and why they’re wrong choices.

Or if you want to play a serious deck that isn’t Warrior, I’m almost done with a Mech Hunter deck. It does not run Hyena, I know you hate that card, presumably because you haven’t figured out Silence is a strong mechanic yet. It also does not run Leeroy.

I don’t like you, but it did occur to me that rather than complain myself about that, I should take my own advice and at least try to do something about it. So rather than complain about your complaining, here’s my offer to help you improve so you realize you don’t need to complain.

If you decide to take this offer, my battle tag is Loco1234#1317

I’ve added you… hehe

(just for clarification, when I said “I don’t like you” that was not aimed at you apalon)

Works for me!

Bro, don’t feel bad.
At least you didn’t throw 5K dust away.
Everyone makes mistakes, learn from them.

Playing the game is the only way you’re going to learn how to play different match ups, so don’t be scared to play games. If you’re like me and have ladder anxiety like hell, just practice in Casual Mode and when you feel confident that you can win a few games, switch over to ranked. I mean I have friends who basically say who cares just play endless ladder if you hit Rank 15… but I just don’t really want to be a Rank 15 player for life… and losing streaks happen a lot. We just have to learn from them.

Like for example… something I learned from Apxvoid, and watching many, many, many hours of him playing Giant Cyclone Mage… you never keep Giant against Hunter. Hunter can just almost always deal with it, it’s just an all around bad play. A lot of things just have to be learned the hard way though… Is this Shaman murloc or control? Don’t immediately drop your load before you know answers…

Depends on what you play, but you should just look at videos of pros playing your class and the closest thing to your deck to learn. Sometimes just because you can, doesn’t you should. Like just because you have 8 mana… Giant, Khadgar and Conjure’s calling in hand doesn’t mean you should drop the combo… We’re not all like Zalae… We can’t just do the obvious play and bounce back when it was a mistake…lol… and there’s nothing wrong with that. Gotta find your way of playing the game and learn from the losses.

and yeah if you struggle with ladder anxiety, that’s why Casual exists.

If you’d like, you can add me, I can play test with you, and maybe even help you climb. I’m not a legend player or anything, but I am always willing to devote time to others.

ThundaPigeon#1153