I dont think Legends of Runterra will overtake Hearthstone

it’s slower paced, its confusing.

You cant even attack each turn, I still dont know if you can only play one card each turn or not. Each turn seems very confusing.

Heres a rough order:

1. Play a card turn
  2. Then attack or block turn? i have no idea

Yeah Idk. But then after attacking or blocking, its confusing. its a very confusing game.

4 Likes

It’s a more strategic game that allows you to interact with your opponent for each play they make, I’m still getting the hang of it as well but let me ask you, did you do the tutorials? You have 11 of them explaining the mechanics.

The game is divided by rounds and at the beggining of each round one of the two players will be able to attack so it would go like this:

1- Imagining i’m first, I would play my 1 mana minion
2- Now the game let’s you interact with my play, you can either cast a 1 mana spell and kill my minion ---- put ur own on the table ---- or Pass
3- U didn’t play anything so I put my minion on the board and attack
4- The game will once again allow you to interact with my play(Step 2)
5- You don’t have anything, so I attack
6- Round is over

Now YOU are the attacker and I will have to react to your play. The cycle goes on and on throughout the game.

10 Likes

Agreed; after playing through the tutorial the turns felt clunky, there’s too many keywords, and in general I just didn’t feel like it was fun. I much prefer the seamless turns in HS where I take all my actions in 1 single phase.

2 Likes

I felt this way as well, but after about 10 games you get the feel for how the turn based stuff works and it actually feels pretty good. Just gotta get used to it.

7 Likes

So if you go against a roper your game could last over an hour. :sleeping: :sleeping:

No upcoming card game is gonna kill hearthstone. Without even considering gameplay, it’s completely unparallelled in regards to UI quality and approachability. The art, the lore, the smoothness and simplicity of actions, it’s a masterpiece regardless of how much people complain. People will like runeterra for different reasons and that’s fine. I’ll be playing both and I’d imagine most reasonable people will be doing the same.

15 Likes

It’s pretty interesting. Liking it more than I thought. It mixes things I like from Magic and HS. The aesthetic is there at least. We’ll see if it can last.

No one will kill HS except Blizzard themselves.

17 Likes

I actually like the way the rounds and turns are structured.

It gives a tremendous strategic component while keeping it relatively straightforward.

As for the OP:

The easiest way to get the flow is a bit of games, but in general:

Each round, the guy going first can attack once.
Each time someone plays a card, the opponent gets to play one as well, until both players pass in succession.

Fast spells can be played as a reaction as well. Burst spells take no time at all.

2 Likes

No HS will rule as is. Legends felt pretty lame, Gwent even though is not that pretty felt good and different when played for the 1st time.
A shame, I was expecting more… Though, still pretty early to judge.

As close as Legends of Runeterra might be to having the “right pieces” for a successful CCG, the game just lacks watchability. A couple of things we take for granted in Hearthstone making it easy to watch are just not there in LoR.

I still want to give LoR some chances, since I like Riot’s attitude towards progression in the game.

This game tried to fix a few flaws of MTG and Hearthstone.

It tried to fix the “Turn 1 player has advantage” problem.
This game allows the turn 2 player to respond before the attack.

Just like MTG, it has counter spell and block.
If you never played MTG, this game seems too complicated, but it is not as complicated as MTG.
It gets rid of land and multi-block.

The main selling point is that it is a true F2P game.

2 Likes

It looks very similar to MTG. It feels to me as if the main difference aside from lands is that it’s not tied to a paper format and can therefore do mechanics that would be impossible in a paper format.

So in the future I actually expect it to possibly become more similar to Hearthstone, as Hearthstone had to grow those mechanics over the years.

Speed. That is the secret to Hearthstone’s success. A game that has any hopes of competing with hearthstone absolutely MUST have a an average overall game time of 7 minutes or less.

Nobody wants to play a single match for a half hour or more only to come up empty-handed, with a loss. And we aren’t even talking about losing streaks… Can you imagine playing a game where the average overall game time is 30 minutes or more, and to go on a 3 or 4 game losing streak? That would be 2 hours of gameplay, completely wasted, for nothing.

3 Likes

I mean most my games end by turn 6-7, it’s literally 6-8 minutes gameplay lol. The only reason why you see long games is something that even Heartstone can’t control which is:

• Roping becouse you are thinking of 9,999,999 options when you only have 2
  • Control Decks constantly pushing the game to the later stages
  • Starter decks with no win condition

Play a match vs Rezz Priest in rank 5 to Leg and it’s the same thing or agaisn’t a Control Warlock, Warrior and bla bla bla

1 Like

And yet games like cs:go, league of legends and auto battlers in general are at the top of the food chain even though exactly that happens all the time. Fast games are only relevant if you target the mobile market and even then Runeterra has plenty of fast and aggressive options from what I have seen.

1 Like

If I am on my PC, I don’t feel like playing card games. I want more thrilling gameplay that make use of my keyboard like LOL, DOTA. The main reason why I nvr really play MTGA is simply because it’s not on mobile and card game is something I want to play on the go. If it is mobile, I want it to be fast too.

The biggest complain is that you draw a card and have mana, but cannot attack this turn. It feels so slow.
Every time I do something, I have to wait for opponent’s response.

1 Like

Even the recent success of BGs counters this point.

Not everything needs to be blitzing fast to succeed.

1 Like

Well, games like CS (FPS) and LoL (MOBA) are usually not mobile games. As Nullspace said, the PC crowd is more acceptable/demanding that their game experiences be more complex so they want/like longer game sessions.

Now, auto battlers can work on PC or mobile, but

1. Two of the big ones are a spin off of existing popular MOBAs (as in, it’s drawing in existing fanbase that is ok with longer game sessions)
  2. The genre is relatively new, so it remains to be seen whether it’ll continue to draw people, and whether the more time sensitive people will jump in
  3. Battlers, like FPS and MOBA, require more than just 2 players to start a single match. This makes longer matches acceptable if not demanded, even if the gameplay itself, if you are really critical about it, isn’t that complex

…and you can’t make game play that complex if you want to appeal to the mass market to compete let alone overtake HS

That’s not to say auto battlers won’t be successful as its own thing, of course. Ditto Legends of Runterra. If it’s at least a decent game, it’ll survive.