How to rope as skilled as possible

We all know what roping is. Never ending your turn and just letting the rope burn every single turn. Maybe you’re sure you’ll be fighting against a cancer deck. Or maybe you want every tiny advantage you can get. Hey, I’m not judging. I’m the one making the thread after all. But this isn’t about the reasons for roping, it’s about how to make the most out of it.

For the starting hand select phase: When the match starts choose which cards to replace but never confirm it. 1 minute time bonus!

For the first turn: If you have a card to play do so at the middle of the turn and then start roping. Otherwise do nothing, let the rope burn and get ready to play your first card fast next turn. Your opponent will think “They’re AKF, easy win!” before you crush their hopes on your second turn.

For the rest of the game: Play your cards whenever you want but any card which can alter the balance like a board cleaner, a powerful minion or something that will take out a big minion of your opponent should be played at the last moment when the rope is almost burned. This has two bonuses. First, it will be more annoying for your opponent since during most of your turn only less interesting plays will happen and only at the very end of the rope until they find out if you will affect their plans or do something big yourself. And second, that way they will have to spend time from their turn thinking what to use to counter you last play rather than do it during your turn. It’s only a few seconds but every second matters. It would actually be better to do all plays seconds before ending the turn to make the opponent spend even more time thinking during their turn, but it’s too risky and I don’t recommend it.

When you win: Drop out of roping and just finish your opponent with regular speed, let them see you could’ve always played like that.

When you lose: If you can see it coming next turn concede right at the moment the burning rope reaches the end. Let them wonder if you’ll do something to save yourself or they won until the very end. If you can’t see it coming and they gain lethal during their turn concede quick, show them speed when they expect it the least.

Bonus: If you have or get Nozdormu during the game and want to play him do it as soon as you can and end your turn immediately. Maybe your opponent will be doing something else expecting another rope and won’t have time to react.

5 Likes

It’s really sad to see how Team 5 has made so many horrible card design mechanisms (Tickatus, Zephyrs the Great, Mutanus the Devourer), that threads like this are actually useful…the state of things…

4 Likes

This shouldn’t be a discussion!

2 Likes

Oh but it is… or is it?

Agreed, though this technically isn’t a discussion. It’s a guide how to rope as effectively as possible.

Your encouraging other players, to burn rope and I rarely burn the rope.

The rope is irrelevant. It is just a graphic on the screen, accompanied by a sound effect and a music track. And that is it. Just ignore it.

Maybe the sight of the rope, the sound of the hissing, and the tension music is too much for you to handle. Maybe you should reconsider your time spent playing this game. Maybe something less dramatic, like silently sitting in a quiet corner? That sounds more your speed.

The turn timer is a game mechanic no matter what way you look at it. It is hard-baked into the core mechanics of the game. The base amount of time per each player’s turn can never be altered. Change it and the entire game is fundamentally changed.

And because the turn timer is a core game mechanic, and it most definitely is, it is best to take full advantage of it.

It can be altered actually, with Nozdormu. I don’t have it in my decks but sometimes I discovered it or it got added to my hand. It was really helpful, I played it and then instantly pressed end turn and sometimes my opponent lost a turn because they were expecting another rope from me.

1 Like

Or you know, don’t be a jerk and play the game in a way that’s fun for both of you.

If you wouldn’t play that way if the person was sitting across from you, don’t do it online. Never let anonymity turn you into a jerk.

3 Likes

for real tho

thank you for rope theorycrafting

Tell that to my opponents and their cancer decks.

1 Like

Im curious. What deck do you play, and what do you consider a cancer deck?

The decks that you can figure from turn 1 or 2 that they’re gonna defeat you easily because you’re not playing a cancer deck yourself.

Nice way to not answering the question. Care to give it a grown ups try? What deck do you play that you dont consider cancerous? And what deck do you consider cancerous?

If someone ropes me, I simply just rope them back…
I also rarely concede no matter if I know I’m gonna lose,or not.
Though, some may disagree with the fact that I do this.
In the end whether annoying, or not…
Each player is guaranteed the same amount of time for their turn…
Roping, as well, as card rocking during play could be considered a particular style of play imo.
Although, that being said… I can also see how in doing so, one could be considered a so-called “jerk”. And although still… it could be considered no different than bluffing as in Texas Hold’ em.
I get so annoyed in that game when the flop is odd, and the turn, or the river is too…
The freakin’ other player can’t possibly have a good hand… they go and raise something crazy…
I’m hold a hand that statistically could be a win… I go all-in… and bam! they beat me.

Whether, a long delayed pause, a bluff… an irritating card rock(or popping) before the drop…
These things are a part of the game, and it’s mechanics… sure…
Oh… but it can be so annoying, and yet negative player etiquette…
It’s there none the less, and no one can change it.

So, I can see both sides to this topic.