Heroic Ermavar Too Overtuned

I don’t know what Blizzard was thinking with this Second, I repeat SECOND Boss.

This boss’ Hero Power is essentially a passive Flame Waker and has cheap spell in x2 Mirror Images, cheap early removal x2 Flame Cannon x2 Flame Geyser that also goes face, x2 Cinderstorm and then a Fireball.

How are you suppose to deal with this Boss at Round 2 when you only have 20HP? Any minion you play dies to Flame Cannon and Cinderstorm. You can’t go face with Mirror Images. Even if you are able to stabilize with minions, he just Fireballs you in the face.

GL even remotely beating this boss without the “Skip 2 turn treasure”.

5 Likes

Just lost to him on turn 4 with a fireball to the face. Only got to drop 2 minions. Definitely going to be a boss where your first passive or your first 3 card pick will decide whether you can beat him.

PPL complaining about solo content need to git gud.

Right. Is this a knee-jerk troll or have you actually played against Ermavar?

I don’t know how it is fight him in later rounds when you have a full deck and a couple of treasures. On round 2, he’s WAY over-tuned, with a deck full of cheap minions and a hero power that lets him hit whatever minion you manage to play with damage equal to the number of minions on his board.

I haven’t tried taking Finley against him, yet. Reno, with his beginner deck full of “put a random spell in your hand” spells, doesn’t stand a chance. Reno’s only hope is that he gets some other second-round boss.

2 Likes

People who say “git gud” need to git some healthy self-respect.

…and also just stop saying it. “Maybe you’re the problem”, in my experience, is rarely used by people on the more mature/ethical side of the argument.

1 Like

I havent even done the new content past first boss. The boss u say might be overtuned. I just like to say git gud. I need to git gud in this thread. Hard solo content is the best but it might be too much for new players.

Played him in a later round this time. He was easier and you get more time to react.

100% agree. I can’t keep anything on the board for a single turn and I’ve died all but 1 time on heroic.

This boss single handedly ends every single run I pick VIP Membership. Can’t even have fun.

1 Like

a company known for inept balancing. i totally agree. it was like created by some estranged dev who didn’t run it by anyone

100% agree. I am like 0 for 5 against this boss when he is second and only once was it even close when I curved out perfectly. I managed to land a competitive spirit on 5 minions and he still cleared my board a turn later. He clears your boards so easily and if he sticks sorcerer’s apprentice and you don’t have an answer (which you probably don’t because he played 2 taunts and also cleared your board on turn 1) then you just lose.

I’m all for a challenge but this encounter feels nearly impossible and when it is so early in the run it’s not like you have many chances to pick AoE or a good treasure to help you win. Maybe the later treasures or new classes will make him easier but right now it is frustrating to have every other run end at this boss. It also makes it that much harder to get to the better decks and treasures because most runs end after beating only one boss.

pick Finley, the 5/1 lifesteal weapon that gain’s durability when you overload treasure, and the discover a minion / overload 1 hero power. This is the only combination that beats this boss’s burst, I’ve found. Mulligan for that weapon. This weapon has carrying potential, but watch out some bosse(s) use ooze, and the Plaguelord uses the plague that puts a 2/2 poisonous weapon in your hand.

This boss is completely busted as an early encounter – at least against Reno.

Often die turn 5 with no chance to fight back thanks to Mirror Entity and an absurd amount of face dmg.

The person that was responsible for balancing Ermavar on Heroic needs to take less crystal me*h before work please. I sometimes wonder who balances those PvE bosses. Halfof them have 0,1% to win and then dudes like Ermavar can kill you round 3. Seriously an average child would do a better work than some folks at blizzard…

1 Like

Finley tends to have an easier time. High tempo plus reborn minions.

Elise actually does too depending on build. Machete or her minions handle it well. Pure swarm can be tough on 2 without ring or flag, but doable.

imho all the bosses are perfectly balanced as long as you built a good deck. The only boss that’s insanely unbalanced is Waste Wanderer Cardish, the one that spams goblin bombs and face cards, floods the board with deathrattles, triggers them and kills you by turn 5

Yeah, Ermavar is kind of broken…I’m pretty sure she was intended to be the Plague of Flames during Alpha stages of the adventure XD
(Seriously, she uses fire and her description rhymes like the other Plague Lords.)

Just chiming in a year late for this. Finally got around to doing this solo adventure content, and heroic ermavar has made me lose more runs than any other boss, hands down. I don’t mind a difficult boss, but I mind that it’s the 2nd boss. You’ve barely made any meaningful changes to your deck by that point – 1 treasure added, and 1 card pool picked.

I’m of the opinion that for the 2nd boss, it’s horrendously overtuned. She has enough burst to kill you from hand by turn 4 and the mana to play it. If she draws it all, you just lose, full stop. I’m not sure what the counterplay is supposed to be to a boss that has

• (2) mirror image, 1 mana deal 2 damage
  • (2) flame geyser, 2 mana deal 4 damage
  • (2) cinderstorm, 3 mana deal 7 damage
  • fireball, 4 mana deal 8 damage

Not even factoring in flamewakers, which add on +2 MORE damage to each of these spells – All this on the 2nd boss slot, where the player has 20 hp. I’m no mathologist, but 34 damage is more than 20 hp, and that is, again, not including any flamewakers played.

It’s telling when you can play a 1 drop on 1, it gets removed by mirror image. Then you play a 2 drop on turn 2, it gets removed by flame geyser. Then you play a 3 drop on turn 3, and it gets cinderstormed down. Then you play a 4 drop on turn 4 and die to fireball to the face.

Whats the point of this boss as it is? The player has not made meaningful choices to their deck at this point. It’s not a case of “Just draft better picks”, there are no better picks! Are you supposed to only pick characters & treasures that are good against ermavar? Are you really supposed to base your entire gameplan on “can it beat ermavar, the 2nd boss?” Or just conceed when you get ermavar instead of a beatable boss? “Ha ha, what a misplay I made, picking gattling wand as reno. It is my fault I am losing to the 2nd boss, because I foolishly picked a 5 mana treasure, when I die before I reach 5 mana. Silly me, I really goofed there.”

I’m just adding my thoughts here because it feels good to vent, but also for the 0.0001% chance that someone from Blizzard reads it AND they ever go back and touch up these encounters from old content.