Help me get to legend!

Hi, I’ve been playing Hearthstone for a while now and I’ve never gotten to legend so I decided that this month I’d give it a real shot and see if I can do it. I luckily opened The Demon Seed as one of my free legendaries so I do have one of the best decks available right now in quest hand warlock and it made getting to Diamond Five pretty quick and painless.

Unfortunately since then I’ve been playing a lot of matches against Mages and other Warlocks and my win rate has taken a hit. Yesterday I played 15 matches and I lost 7 of them.

I lost to two demon hunters that kept gliding away all my cards, two shamans that ran the doomhammer build, two mages, and two paladins (one of which played a 8/5 moonfang on turn five, ouch).

I welcome any and all advice that the kind people of this forum can give me. Advice on the quest demon hunter matchup and quest mage matchup would be especially helpful.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/2jU4tYpQD6noxCYmLEFyGb

Here is a typical mage matchup that I played yesterday. They got off two incanters flows which hurts of course, and I can see that in retrospect dropping an acolyte on turn two was a mistake since it made no difference to the mage and just slowed my gameplan down by a turn, but other than that what do you think I should have done differently?

Also, I know I’ve only played a handful of games so far, but does there come a point where you think it might be better to go back to playing elemental shaman or face hunter?

The Mage matchup is a hard one for you but i did see a missplay right on turn 2, you played Cult Neophyte way to early you need to save it for turns you overwhelm the Mage with pressure.

Also giving a target for Mage frost spells at that stage is a huge mistake ,one of Quest Mage major weakness is that most its ice spells can only target minions use that to delay their quest as much as possible.

4 Likes

Thank you, I think you’re exactly right. I did notice this, but mistakenly called it an acolyte in my post instead of neophyte lol. But it’s good to get feedback too. I think I was pretty much doomed around turn five or so because of how much quest progress they had made while getting off two IFs.

You’re playing a good deck, so I would advise you to stick with it, it’s very capable of getting you to legend.

Make sure you have a deck tracker installed so you can watch replays, and then watch some games you lost, could you have played a different line and won? Were the cards you kept at mulligan useful? Etc.

Mulligans are REALLY important, you should be looking for different cards vs different match ups, make sure you are optimising this part of the game because it makes a huge difference in my experience.

You should know all the main meta decks and what your gameplan is vs them .

Don’t play when tilted, I take a break after 2 consecutive losses when pushing for legend.

If you’ve got to D5 you can make legend, just keep focus.

Good luck!

1 Like

Personally I prefer the Fatigue version > handlock. I took it to legend relatively easy this season. Fatigue is favored over handlock so mirrors become easier. The downside is shaman becomes a harder match up and fel/brute DH is your hardest.

Remember this game is a grind so as long as you have above a 50% win rate you WILL get to legend with some time investment. Pick a version or deck you like, make notes on what worked or didn’t work in certain match ups, keep trying. Last bit of advice is to download a tracker of some kind. I really only use it to see what I’m mostly playing against in a night and then I’ll tech out some cards to help beat whatever seems popular that day. Good luck and have fun along the way!

2 Likes

As Orion pointed out, the Neophyte was played too early. In the Quest Mage match-up (although you are strongly unfavored) you have to play a style that feels more “greedy” as to not play into their quest. This means saving Neophyte for combos (i.e., save Neophyte for when you drop two Giants so that clearing them is much more difficult). This may not save your giants, but it will force the mage to expend resources inefficiently which is your entire gameplan going into fatigue.

When playing your tour guides/manafeeders, typically you want to play them and kill them yourself with either card draw (coil) or heals so that the mage cannot use all of its hyper-efficient board removal tools early and progress quest. There are many situations where I would rather float mana than give a quest mage an exposed manafeeder in the early game.

In terms of deck building, I would take a hard look at Gnoll and whether or not the card is working out well for you. Tons of GMs have cut it recently because its health total can often play right into a lot of the popular meta decks. It certainly has VERY strong uses in certain match-ups, but Tamsin + Hand of Gul’dah combo may win you more matches by turboing through your deck.

Getting Neophytes into your Raise Dead pool can also be a very effective strategy (and would be a strong second behind getting giants).

For mage, your mulligan guide is to absolutely hard mull for Rod and Backfire. You want to turbo through your quest and deck without needing minions as fast as possible.

Here is your mulligan/drawn/played WR against quest mage:

https://imgur.com/n3w6aRO

I think I got your deck right or hopefully, or at least really close?

If you have any other match-ups you’re curious about, happy to share more resources or help as best I can. Nobody has successfully brought mage to GMs lately, but if I find an older match (I am taking a look) I will share it as well.

1 Like

I say enjoy playing Demon Seed for the next few days and see what happens on Tuesday with the nerfs.

1 Like

Better hurry with your deck, you have time till tuesday.

1 Like

This version was very, very popular in GMs this weekend. Viper can be exchanged freely depending on match-ups you struggle with:

Quest Hand Warlock

Class: Warlock

Format: Standard

Year of the Gryphon

2x (0) Raise Dead

2x (1) Mortal Coil

1x (1) The Demon Seed

2x (1) Touch of the Nathrezim

2x (1) Tour Guide

2x (2) Cult Neophyte

2x (2) Drain Soul

2x (2) Manafeeder Panthara

1x (2) Unstable Shadow Blast

2x (3) Backfire

2x (3) Blood Shard Bristleback

2x (3) Runed Mithril Rod

1x (3) Rustrot Viper

2x (4) Soul Rend

2x (6) Barrens Scavenger

1x (6) Battleground Battlemaster

2x (10) Flesh Giant

AAECAa35AwSI7wPH+QPQ+QOE+wMNm80D184D+84DwdEDi9UDk+QD2O0D8O0D8e0DvfEDg/sDsZ8E56AEAA==

To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Broken deck, in 3 days Will be nerf

Thank you, this was very helpful advice. It’s interesting that Tour Guide is the second best mulligan keep. I wonder why? Is it because of the tour guide → mortal coil combo?

1 Like

Absolutely. Guaranteed draw, it’s a great combo.

1 Like

Darn I just went 5 and 7 again. My losses were against two mages, a shadow priest and four warlocks. The warlock matchup feels unfavored because a lot of them are running the viper and hand of gul’dan combo. Maybe I’ll give that one a try.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/5rjXgz4wmSjDbbAnm538pK
(Here’s a match I won even though I burned my quest reward lol. I guess I wasn’t paying enough attention. :sweat_smile:)

https://hsreplay.net/replay/kwJfwYtMiAkH84riyoCNkk
Here’s a more typical matchup against a warlock (not running viper or hand of gul’dan). It was pretty close, but they finished one turn faster than me.

The hand of guldan version (fatigue lock) beats handlock the majority of the time. On my climb as fatigue I was 9-1 against other locks.

1 Like

Please help MEEEE reach the rank of Legend!

Friend me! Challenge me to a ranked standard game! And then… deliberately lose to me!

It will only take five minutes of your time!

If only a couple of hundred people do this and lose to me in just one game each, I can finally achieve my dream that I’ve been striving for for five years! Without actually having to finally learn how to craft decks or use complex strategies or counters or even how to play properly!

Lose to make me legendary! Throw a game for my cause! Give generously to this charity case!

kthxbye.

Well, if you gets to D5, you are a legend material.

…you just need more time. SO MUCH MORE time.

Try to find out your personal winrate with deck tracker. when you know your winrate, you can count the number of TOTAL matches you need to get to legend.

If the total matches you need is in hundreds figure (which is normal), you can start scheduling your play time. Allocate your gaming time each day in each week. Then you will have realistic time to reach legend.

With deck tracker, you also can see the pocket meta in your region in several peak hours. Avoid hours where people plays counter to your deck, play other hours than that.

Also, like the other people said. Avoid tilting. When you lose, get up walk to a fridge and drink something. Your decision making will get hit when you tilts.

Taking drinks also makes you to not instantly press the button to play. Cos if you instantly press play, you could see the same opponent that counters your deck in the last match, especially in the last stars to legend where not much player that can be matched to you by the system.

Instantly press play if you win, take a minute rest if you lose.

My personal tips is: consider you deserve the lose when you do a minuscule mistake. When you miss something or opponent draw a god hand, just say this to yourself “I dont deserve the win. and if I win this, it just because of luck”. This way, you will analyze more of your play, and GREATLY reducing tilting in my case.

Somehow, after you get your card back, legend rank will be much easier after that. The first one is the hardest.

1 Like

Thank you, I really appreciate the encouragement