Hearthstone Causing WIFI to Turn off

Really weird issue I have run into lately with Hearthstone over the last few weeks or so - but an even bigger occurrence with the Naga BGs update. It occurs in both BGs as well as regular ranked games or duels. I am playing on a laptop, Dell G7 w/ Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter.

My WiFi adaptor turns off/disappears when playing the game with these disconnects. I can be playing a game, get disconnected, swap over to check connection and all of a sudden my laptop says I don’t have a WiFi adaptor. This isn’t occurring at any other point or with any other game - only hearthstone. It is super frustrating when you miss/lose entire turns due to this issue.

1 Like

You are not alone. Things got insane for me playing BGs today: after 3-5 mins of normal gameplay, I kept getting disconnected every 10 seconds until I got playful sprites and I was forced to close the game (and if I could somehow reconnect, same problem).
But I was playing ranked/casual before BG and never got disconnected.
And after that, I had no WiFi for a few minutes. Then it came back, I guess when I got completely disconnected from the BG game? Really really weird behavior, I haven’t seen anything like this in years of Hearthstone. But only happened during BGs so what else could I blame? Twitch worked fine. Netflix worked fine. Only BGs seemed to interrupt the connection.
And this happened 4 times for me today! not just once

What is going on?

1 Like

There isn’t anything inherent to any online game that could cause an entire network to drop all by itself. Even if there was an issue with data transmission between the game client and service, that should never drop the local network unless there is an issue with the network itself.

Now this isn’t to say there isn’t an issue with the game, just that there is likely a core issue with the network itself if part or all of it is dropping for any reason.

Try doing an extended power cycle on your system. Turn off all devices including the modem. Wait 30 minutes, turn on the modem, wait 5 minutes, turn on any network devices, wait 2 minutes, turn on your computer and try the game.

You can try switching your DNS settings to use a free public DNS servers instead of your ISPs Servers:

We do not have individual steps for specific modems or routers so if you need assistance accessing or updating the devices, contact the device maker/provider.

Ideally for the best connection you want to use wired ethernet directly to the router or modem. We get that is not ideal with some setups though we ask that you try a wired connection directly to the router or modem.

This will allow us to troubleshoot without the worry about interference and instability that is inherent with wireless connections.

Once troubleshooting has been completed you can go back to wireless if you want.

If you are already on a wired connection, we recommend trying different ports or even swapping the cable. Just to rule out a bad connection to the network.

Sometimes firewall or routing software/hardware will have some advanced settings to prioritize and manage types of network traffic. Normally that is not an issue but we have seen situations where it can intefere with the delivery of the data for our games/voice chat.

Let’s try turning off these features:

QoS
SIP ALG
RoG (ASUS Routers Only)
Security firewalls (Some ISP provided modems)

Not all devices will have these options and the steps for turning these functions off will be different depending on the make/model/software version of the devices and programs involved. If necessary look at the documentation for your security and routing products to find out how to turn these options off.

In some cases there is a corrupt or misconfigured setting within the router or modem. We cannot say what that might be offhand but the easiest way to resolve these conflicts would be to factory reset the router and/or modem.

You may need to look up your specific model for the steps on how to do this and in some rare cases you may need to have this done by the ISP. Feel free to reach out to them for assistance if necessary.

Do you have the ability to try a different computer on the same network? Or, the ability to try your current computer on a different network? This can help us determine if what you are experiencing is due to an network issue or something specifically with your system itself. Give it a shot and see what happens.

That should address issues with the network itself though again that does not preclude issues with the game that may need to be investigated. If you experience any issues after doing the above, I recommend reporting the issue in:

I believe there is a misunderstanding with my original post. The network isn’t being knocked out, the network is still functional and able to support other devices/activity. The issue is that when playing Hearthstone, typically battlegrounds, the wifi adaptor (the part that allows my laptop to connect to my wifi network) completely disappears, only to reappear a minute or two later. This only happens with Hearthstone. This issue has also persisted through me resetting my network and taking efforts to assure that wasn’t the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.