Hearthstone archivist elysiana

The card reads “REPLACE your deck”… Not “if your deck is empty, don’t worry, save yourself by adding 10 cards, you won’ttake burn damage”. Fix the wording or fix it to where it means what it says.

replace means “take the place of.”. Meaning this 10 card take the place of your deck. Your deck can have 60 cards or 0, they are replacing it with this 10 cards. Nothing wrong with the wording.

3 Likes

Exactly as null said.

In fact the ops wording would be a large nerf to the card.

As in the ops case you coulden’t use it when a few cards (bombs or more so hakars bloods) are left in your deck to replace them. As the ops working has the conditional of “if the deck is empty” so would need to wait till out of cards a large nerf.

Replace means to take the place of so dosen’t matter if I got 60 bloods left or no a empty deck. 0 is a placeholder value which means the deck is still there to be replaced if empty.

Just like burn damage is there only for if you have no card to draw not to burn you after you draw x cards. If the devs wanted you to only be able to draw x cards than start to burn they would of made it like that not made it based on having cards.

2 Likes

I guess it’s glass half empty or half full…but I understand what you mean. But to “take the place of” means to literally take the place of. If you take place of nothing your swapping out 0 for a number. There is no balance to the equation. Perhaps another point of conversation. Matter is neither created nor destroyed. The card in what you 2 are actually referring to does need different wording. Add 10 cards to your deck to replace your current deck.

If my Father (Deck) bailed on me as a kid, a step father (replacement card) does indeed take the place of him. I still have a Father (Deck), even though he isn’t around (ie 0 cards you would say in this instance) but in order for him to be replaced or taken the place of, He still needs to be there. Wow I’m nuts.

Thats outright untrue. This is not a glass half full or not case. This is your interpretation being just wrong.

Using your example of swaping out 0 for a number. 0 is a number so your swaping a number for a number. When replacing elements can be created and destroyed. As replace has no bearing on the end state of either side. It is a direct replacement. I can replace 2 with 3 or 3 with 2. I dont need 2=3 in order to replace them.

The entire reason 0 exists is to represent where it is placed there is something there. It is a PLACEHOLDER. As such the fact the number 0 is there means the deck is still there and as such you can “take the place of it”.

You are thinking 0 to mean that element no longer exists. If that was the case it would not be 0 but NULL. Null meaning having no value or invalid. Zero and null have VARY diff meanings. NULL you cant “take the place of” as that resource spot no longer exists as a whole. Zero means the resource still exists and is just empty. In hearthstone the deck dose not go away when empty as such zero is the correct term.

What is empty can be replaced. This is just like replacing a empty ink jet with a full one you REPLACE it, changing 0% to 100% full.

The wording is 100% correct. Your interpretation is whats flawed. Replace means to swap a existing value (in which 0 IS a value meaning nothing there but the spot still exists) with another value.

Your father example is also flawed. A step father dose not become your biological father. He only becomes your father figure. If he replaces your father as your father figure than yes your biological father is NO LONGER is your father figure. If he remains your father figure he did NOT replace him but your step father was gained as a father figure. Either way your father remains the biological father but being a biological father doesn’t mean you raised the kid or have any value to them.

The wording you used in your last post “Add 10 cards to your deck to replace your current deck”. Has a vary diff meaning than the current and would be a massive nerf. As you are no longer discovering cards and now adding 10 cards from no where. To be exact the def would no work as you cant add cards without saying where from. Otherwise its the same meaning but with more words so wont be used as lower word count card effects are used where possible.

The word “add” you used there being the biggest problem as now your increasing the liklyhood of people missreading the card to assume it adds to your current deck vs just replacing.

An empty deck is still a deck. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to shuffle copies of cards into an empty deck.

Replacing one deck with another results in the same outcome regardles of the number of cards in the deck being replaced.

If I replace a glass of milk with a glass of juice, the quantity of milk in the glass has no bearing on the outcome.

Well played sir, well played