First day of school

Has anyone ever played a paladin who did NOT have this monstrosity in their starting hand.

Forget tickatus - libram paladin should be a control deck, slowly buffing minions.

This card gives pally automatic tempo and early board control that a slow deck does not deserve. It means that a pally has an extra two cards in their deck.

And the rubbish this card randomly generates is almost always a powerful 1 cost, class specific minion.

Up to 1 mana. That way they don’t have the luxury of having TWO one cost minions to choose from in their opening hand.

I don’t mind the rest of the Pally toolkit. I just think it’s this one card that gives them early board control that makes it difficult to recover from when they begin their ramp.

In fact bin all 0 cost spells. Every card should have a price.

5 Likes

Yeah it’s pretty good…

It turns out 2 random 1 drops is often better than one specific 1 drop. A couple of them have combo effects which is nice.

I don’t know how they nerf it though. If they make it cost 1, it kills the card.

There is no “small” change I can think of that would make it playable in standard.

0-cost spells are difficult to balance.

Just nerf it to generate neutral minions only, it fits the name since they just have started school.

4 Likes

I can cop neutral - but class specific is cancerous

generates 2 minions, you get to keep 1 and the other 1 goes to your opponent

“I’m mad bc my copypasta deck doesnt’t work against paladin!!”

In fairness not many decks do work against pally at the minute. It’s still too strong for most decks to deal with

Its not two extra cards, its one.

Did they change it? (20 characters)

The card itself costs 1 card so 2-1=1

You replace one 1 drop with two 1 drops thus giving you one extra card.

1 Like

I have lost to this card more times than i can remember.

1 Like

Oh, 0-1 mana. That makes better sense for a card. I’m surprised blizzard didn’t make it “0 mana. Summon 2 1 cost minions. Give them +2/+2 Divine Shield Taunt”

True but if you run two of them its two extra.

1 Like

I think First Day of School should be nerfed to 1 mana, and it should only add one 1-mana minion to your hand, instead of two.

I lost two in a row to that card, as Warrior. Flame Imp in one game that snowballed into hand of Adal and secrets. The other was a gibberling into adal and secrets.

That would just make it horrible. Why run a 2-mana card (itself + minion) that gets you 1 random 1-mana minion on the board? Even at its original cost of 0 that’d still be a horrible card as it’s much better to simply add a 1-mana minion of your choice to the deck.

Because they dont understand HS

When I play paladin, I never have it in opening hands. Mulligan or not. And I usually draw it when I need something big instead. My opponents? everytime either this or librarian.

Yes

Yes, indeed, but it would still be nice to add a 1-cost minion, for example a 1-cost legendary that you probably don’t have in your collection and don’t afford to spend the dust on. For example it can generate Reliquary of Souls for you and you probably don’t have that in your collection. So I think it will still be good at 1 mana and only one 1-cost minion.

Good point, I didnt think about that.