Explosive Runes vs Divine Shield

I had Explosive Runes trigger on me after I played Taelan Fordring.
The card says “After your opponent plays a minion Deal 6 damage to it and any excess to their hero.

Well, it seems 6 damage was done to it. The damage to the minion was nullified by divine shield, so it still lived. But I still took three damage as if he died to it. Based on how other interactions are resolved, this has to be an oversight.

1 Like

Not a bug. Please search before posting.

Divine Shield negates damage, it doesn’t change incoming damage to 0.

Explosive Runes deals 3 damage (which Divine Shield negates), the rest hit the face.

1 Like

I did search. Both this forum, reddit, and other sites and only found one thing that wasn’t conclusive. But thanks for assuming (though based on your post history, I’m not surprised at that rudeness)

And I was mistaken, the Divine Shield keyword says “ignore it”. Something about this interaction doesn’t seem right if this is how it resolves while benefiting from Spell Damage.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/search?q=explosive%20runes%20divine%20shield

Ignoring the first result (which is yours), the next three results are related to your report.

Explosive Runes (and similar effects) always do the same damage as the target minion’s health. Any excess hits the opponent’s hero, plus spell damage.

https://hearthstone.fandom.com/wiki/Explosive_Runes#Notes

I’m curt, which tends to be mistaken as rude, hence why I’ve started putting the “please” in front of “search before posting”. Attack the argument, not the poster.

1 Like

I’ll attack both for your pretentiousness being painfully obvious.

If the damage is negated then there should be no excess damage!!!

The damage done to the minion was negated. The damage done to your hero was not.

The text on the card is a slight simplification, for brevity. The actual effect is more like:
“After your opponent plays a minion, deal 6 damage to it, or damage equal to its health if that is less. In the latter case, deal excess damage to their hero.”
The actual effect is NOT:
“After your opponent plays a minion, deal as much damage to it as needed to actually destroy it, but no more then 6, then deal excess damage (if any) to their hero.”

I understand that new players who see the card for the first time might assume the incorrect version. But after once seeing how it really works, the actual effect should be clear.