Duplicate epic - year of the phoenix

hey, I have received multiple epics from a couple of “year of the phoenix” packs, while not having them all.
f.e. got “Steeldancer” from Scholomance Academy while not having 2nd copy of “Guardian Animals” Also have 3x Felosophy and 4x Totem Goliath.

Please keep in mind that the duplicate protection system does not look at your current collection, but at all cards you ever collected on your account. So including those that you no longer have because you disenchanted them. This ensures that if you e.g. disenchant a legendary you do not want, you can be sure you will not receive it again until you have found all other legendaries.

Guardian Animals was nerfed in the September 2020 patch (mana cost up from 7 to 8). Many people routinely disenchant all copies of cards that are nerfed to benefit from the full dust refund. So perhaps that happened to you as well?

thanks for the reply, yes that maybe it, that I had one and DE it, but still doesn’t make sense receiving duplicates when I’m missing others. Also its “year of the phoenix” and I’m still missing other epics from other expansions as well, not only Scholomance.

You can’t have your cake and eat it. An earlier duplicate protection system (for legendaries only) did look at current collection; and a lot of people were upset because they found a legendary they considered worthless, disenchanted it, and then got the same one again instead of the other legendaries of that set that they were still looking for.
Now it’s changed. Now you can safely dust cards you don’t want; you are still sure you will not get them again until you have received all other cards of the same rarity and set. And now people complain about this. Oh well.

Which epics are you missing?

I double check and was wrong, I’m only missing 1 copy of Guardian Animals from Phoenix.
I’m not complaining, I love it, I just don’t understand why did I get any other 3x copy now before getting the last Guardian Animals.

From my understanding, if you disenchant a card, you will not get it again until you have all epics (in your case). Because you disenchanted it, the game marked the card as “not wanted” and you will not receive it again until you have all epics; but not only this. The odds of getting that specific epic is 1 to how many epic cards are in the year of the phoenix. Think about it like the game thinks you have all epics and is giving you random epics until you will eventually get the last GA.

Duplicate protection comes in two phases. Neither phase cares about what you currently own. Both care only about what you ever received.

The first phase is before you received all copies of a certain rarity and expansion. For epic phoenix, this phase lasts until you have received (from packs, crafting, or other sources) exactly two copies of each epic phoenix card. And during this phase, random card generation will only give you epic phoenix cards that you did not receive two copies of yet. Whether you keep the copies or disenchant them is irrelevant.

The second phase is after you have received those two copies of each phoenix epic card. At that point, duplicate protection no longer applies. You either have two copies of each card, or you had two but chose to disenchant them.
In this phase, newly generated epic phoenix cards (from random card drops or from packs opened) are simply random. There is no reason to favour certain cards so the game just rolls a die.

There’s another phase in between where if you have one regular and one golden you get the second regular.

@CheezCurls: That is as far as I know not guaranteed. And if it is, then it is a change that was made unannounced.

When duplicate protection was introduced, we were told that the algorithm does not care about normal or golden. One normal + one golden epic = two of that epic, which is all you need to have “all”.

(If you are right, it’s definitely a nice improvement; no complains. But it would be a ‘ninja’ improvement).

@BigHugger

thank you, now I finally understand :slight_smile: