Duels: Is it really what we wanted?

Ever since the devs announced a new game mode, I had hope that it was one that implemented older expansions. It was half true. Duels is a neat concept, but I didn’t hear anything from players asking for such a mode. If anything, a constructed format that has several but not all expansions would have been better; this would be updated monthly, just like arena. This would keep strategies and gameplay fresh, as well as reward players who have refrained from dusting cards going into Wild.

My own quote months ago: Idea for a Third PvP mode - #2 by DLMdD-2967

Maybe…Something like a dungeon run with constructed deck but against other players; while you go on, you get some points to spend on stuff like:

1. upgrade hero power
  2. upgrade starting health
  3. special treasures

IDK, something new, that has the potential to stay fresh and evolve over time

So at least one person asked for it :joy:

12 Likes

Yes, there are some people that wanted something like that.

3 Likes

There are a couple popular games out that are very similar. While you may not have wanted it and there is likely people enough to make a we, it is for sure been asked for.

2 Likes

There’s also going to be another new gameplay mode that will be announced and released sometime in the middle of the next expansion. So, Duels isn’t the only new game mode that is coming in the not too distant future.

2 Likes

I wonder how many people it’s punishing for dusting wild cards years ago.

1 Like

And the answer is…no.

What I really wanted? wild finally having a banished set, a way to skip the battle phase on battlegrounds or…i don’t know…being able to play HS on my phone again.

I could be at least happy with this new mode if:

1- It didn’t required wild cards to be played.

Or…

2- If the decks were pre-made like on dungeon runs.

U know, the fun in arena and battlegrounds is that both are modes that set me and my opponent on the same rng conditions.

I would prefer a casual free arena mode without prizes or at least to play a versus mode of arena with a friend rather than this mode.

2 Likes

I didn’t know I wanted it until I got it.

I’m definitely sad I dusted all my wild stuff years ago. Though at least it is only adventure cards for now.

i was asking for 2v2 :frowning:

2 Likes

How can two people play at the same time? an open field where instead of 7 is 14 minions? at least I would expect to be double the mana, so at least the two could use the same amount of mana.

:smile:

or rewarding for keeping them :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I wanted something Like that - take 15 cards, check, add 15 cards and 2 treasures, via beating 5 solo bosses, then best of 5 vs random opponents, si either you win 8 in total (normal solo run), or you don’t.
After a few games, the rng is dumb as always, but nothing out of the ordinary. Some treasures range like heroes in BGs - tier S to tier BS, so it’s same ol’ same ol’.
But is it FUN? Yes, although the narrowness it has. It’s better than I thought we’d get. I’m more concerned with the powercreep cards, and the BS yogg rng going to be deciding games on a literal roulette wheel.
This mode rewards deck building skills, if only we could avoid netdecking for this as well.

Won’t happen. There’s choices to be made so people are gonna want to know what the right choices are and what the best players are doing.

This was mostly what I wanted to see. I like dungeon run stuff so pvp dungeon run sounds like a good idea I just wish it wasn’t dependent on how extensive your wild collection is as it limits the possible appeal of the mode so preconstructed decks or temporarily making the wild sets in duels available to everyone within that mode would’ve been better

ehh you cant have deckbuilding without netdecking
is impossible !

I know, I know (:
20c

I have been playing Duels for the past 2 days and I don’t think I like it. It suffers from 2 problems in my estimation.

1. You are limited in the choices of Hero
  2. You are forced to use a reduced selection of cards (some cards are even held out of the sets you are able to use - like no “Self Sharpening Sword” in Rogue even though I managed to get one as an additional card in later stages of my rogue Duel run)

I don’t play Arena much because I hate being forced to choose a hero I rarely use when I’ve paid to get in. Duels suffers from the same problem. It’s also no fun to be told you can’t use a card that you collected and is a part of an accepted set but the Dev’s don’t seem to want in the game.

It would be like playing chess but you arbitrarily decided to use half the normal starting pieces and also, by the way Knights and Castles are too strong so you can’t play them.

It seems like Blizzard really missed the mark with this mode. It may be something that other games are doing, and it may have some nice rewards when it launches fully (I hope), but I don’t find it any more interesting than arena.

Thoughts?

1 Like

What I said in other thread.

Honestly it is a PVP format with monthly set rotation.

Many wanted that. I too.

We for sure got more than we asked for and only time will they if that is good or bad.