Dragonbane shot nerf (unjust)

But do you also think that such a deck ought to be eliminated entirely from the game (even though many other players love it) just because you’d rather face something else?

Did this really kill the deck? I think it’s far too early to make conclusions like that. It hasn’t even been 24 hours.

I don’t know if you can call it similar, but, if you like damage-from-hand, maybe try out Burn Shaman if you can (if you have the cards – I think it’s cheap).

Me too, but they killed face hunter and made us play quest hunter wich was a solid deck to play until now. Make face hunter good again and were fine :slight_smile:

There are no stats available yet. I really think you are jumping to conclusions here. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but we can’t say based on any evidence that the deck has been killed.

In the past 24 hours (which the patch has only been out for about 19 hours) the deck is still tier 2 (D4-D1).

Lol unjust?
Because you can’t win that often anymore without your opponent having any chance?

3 Likes

Me too. Do you think our experience (and the general experiences of the playerbase) should be considered in balancing? It’s been about 2 1/2 years now and I still get stuck on this.

It hasn’t been eliminated entirely from the game. Let’s see how things actually turn out.

Lots of people were predicting that there would be much less to stand in Quest Hunter’s way after a nerf patch, so this is likely a pre-emptive measure to make sure it doesn’t blow up and I’m quite alright with it.

Should player experience be taken into consideration for balancing? Of course. Player experience is what drives players to play games. If a deck is showing that it negatively impacts poayer engagement and is therefore actively hurting your game, then it needs to be balanced.

It’s why Spell and Quest Mage got nerfed so much. They were fun and I personally LOVED playing those decks, but they also largely sucked to play against and were popular enough to negatively impact the overall player experience, so they got nipped.

3 Likes

Yeah deck is dead atleast for me, im sure there will be some new hybrid versions of the deck that may work out in the future. Im actually playing freeze shaman for now and a bit of mech mage. I would love to play beast hunter but i just cant afford to craft all the legendaries for it.

But in balancing around one group’s experience we may be harming another group’s experience. How do should we deal with that? Compromise, like we kinda see here? I guess, but, this may in fact kill the deck. We can’t say for sure yet, but it may be true.

Comprimise yes, but also recognize that they have all raw data on player engagement so they have FAR greater insight into player behaviors within the game than just a bunch of talkers on forums or Reddit provides.

This is also reflected when they’re more hesitant to nerf frustrating decks, as they can tell when players only really log in to play that specific deck, putting more eggs in the “perhaps we should just let them have their fun” basket, with things like Big Priest in Wild beign an example.

Quest Hunter didn’t really have a cult/meme following like Tickatus did, it was just a really good Tier 2 deck that also tended to make games feel really one-sided.

2 Likes

good ridance is all i gotta say as a wild player

the 1 mana pyroblast those quest hunter run is sickening(triple leper spawn) and not alway possible to clear them right away

on the other hand…aggro priest weap getting buff is ewww…just why ?

1 Like

Sounds like you would enjoy classic a lot.

Exactly what I thought when read…

He is sad because can’t use the cheat engine anymore and actually need to play a game to win.

3 Likes

Meh, too boring.

I enjoy just about everything in current Standard and I’m probably bothered by Quest Hunter a lot less than most who compain about it, but seeing it nerfed (as long as something underrepresented from the class gets some love, since Quest was all they had) doesn’t exactly hurt my feelings at all.

There’s a whole lot of gameplay space between 100% board chess and the level of call I do is play direct damage spells from my hand" that Quest Hunter engages in.

It’s plenty fun to play sometimes (just like Spell Mage) but not necessarily to come up against.

2 Likes

I’m never happy when blizzard nerfs a tier 2/3 deck just to push a different archetype. It’s hamfisted balancing. Burn decks are a thing in virtually every card game. The standard version also fights for board a lot more than the wild one does.

I don’t think it was unjustified. When DH got hit twice, they likely knew if they didn’t address Quest Hunter some way then it would have steam rolled out of control and just replaced DH.

Seems like they nerfed the Quest archetype and made room for the beast archetype to survive.

Fair trade imo.

4 Likes

Well, hunter did receive 3 decent buffs to Beast Hunter. Pre-patch I read that some hunters were having success with the deck. It should be viable now, I would think, definitely.

1 Like

It’s not really about the style of deck, it’s the fact they nerfed a card that needs the quest to do anything rather than the quest itself just to save a few bucks. And it’s the only reason the Demon Hunter hero remains at six mana. The bean counters are obviously feeling the pressure from nerfing too many legendaries lately. And I would argue that shouldn’t be a factor in balance choices, but I can’t believe that it’s not. It’s also the reason Drekthar got nerfed a patch too late.

I may be wrong and the deck might still be decent, but it’s going to lose a significant amount of win percent almost certainly.

It did, but the deck bares no resemblance to Quest Hunter, and the reason given for the buff was to appease Hunter players, which makes no sense. Most rational people play decks for the playstyle, not the hero portrait. I guess anyway. I certainly have zero interest in Green Rez Priest.

The deck has been objectively hit hard. However, we should reserve some judgement until a few days pass and we can get a picture of the fallout these nerfs result in.

If I were a betting man, I’d agree with you and say the deck, while not dead, will be weaker than it was, obviously. It will probably fall to mid-high tier 3, I’d wager.