Developer Insights: Hearthstone Battlegrounds Rating System Update

Very BAD MOVE. Now I will only play a few games to try out a new hero or a new minion. Once I have played each one a few times I will stop playing for weeks or months until a new change comes. I’ll pick another game because all the excitement to slowly rise in MMR is gone. I don’t play much but it was enjoyable to reach 5K, 6K , 7K, 8k, down to 7K This took me many months and that was fine. I have 0 intention to do the same climb every month or season.

So no more battle pass for me.

To climb every season is too much… I played more then 2k games to climb to 13k…and now to repeat that each season…I will not do it. It’s not worth time to repeat it every month or season. It is ok to have a yearly reset of stats, but this is not good. I refuse this season reset of BG stats.

Loved Battlegrounds. It’s been my go-to game for months; it literally got me out of bed in the morning so I could get in a couple of games before work. One of the main things that kept me going was feeling like the protagonist in a Shonen Anime - “I’m going to get strong!” I read the strat guides, watched the streamers, got coaching, all so I could try to get better. I was only ever above average (top 50% according to HSReplay) but that just made me want to try harder.
For a while with the new update I was thrilled when I shot up to the top 1% but couldn’t believe it and now see it was really just my fake rating. I understand why you want to not let your players know how bad they really are (EndoZoa put it eloquently) but for those of us who only play the game to truly improve it would be good if we could opt in to our true ranking. I don’t see the point in playing anymore if I can’t.
Or perhaps unlock the option for serious players once they reach a certain point. Even if the option remained locked for me just knowing it was there would be a motivator.
[Side note: I appreciate your honesty. Even though it may cost you a few players you let those of us who want to know, know. Respect.]

“To give sense of progression, let us reset your progression every season…” wtf is ur broken logic blizzard…

It is just the opposite feeling you create ffs.

1 Like

Thanks for your time, the explanation and the great game.

I do like bc a lot. But what doesn’t keep me there is that the rating system doesn’t offer a reference level. I do not know how good i am! The rating doesn’t say or do anything (in-game). It is just a number… so the progress or rating doesn’t add something to my experience. Ladder for example does.

Yea the new system is great, but when are we getting a reward system with Battlegrounds?

2 Likes

Am I reading it right? Once I hit 6500 I will start getting 300 per win? I just finished a game where my MMR was 6500+ My win was still a measly 102. Wtf?

Also we have to do this every month?

Not happy if thats the case.

Simple fix - just provide the MMR to those who buy the perks. Takes 10 minutes to ad a rating field and display it, think of the dosh you’ll make…

1 Like

we need to be able to see out internal rankings. sorry, but watching 11-15k players creating smurf accounts and then utterly destroying lesser players is defeating.

“Floors” does not work! My MMR decreases unde for 8th place, but I got 5000 points before.

1 Like

yeah, I just got from 6000+ to 5960, nonsence

Same here. At least 3 or 4 times I have dropped below 5000 mmr got it back and then gone under again.

So if this article is how it works, how come today my score in Battlegrounds dropped from over 6000 to below 6000? Did I miss something about a reset? I am confused.

2 Likes

So… The “rewards” track is broken. Battlegrounds Skill Floor broken. A major number of players say weekly quests have broken. Whats the next thing to break in this game? Are any devs left? Does anyone actually pretend to care if the basic rules of this game still work?

I doubt it.

Sometimes top 4 gets you - points

I was at 5119 now I’m at 4915 :frowning:

I think the final rank was 4500

It doesn’t even work properly. I just dropped down below what was supposed to be an MMR “floor”. If you’re going to implement a new system, at least make it do what you say it does.

Same Here. PLease fix or update this post!
Just managed to get above 5k, was so happy to reach this floor, as it took me quite a while at 4,9k just to drop to 4.95k again :frowning:

The rating system is complete useless now, so you have numbers that the user views that has NOTHIN TO DO WITH ANYTHING AT ALL. Nice move, so you have no idea where you sit with ranking except for some made number that they give you based on nothing.

I would rather you work on balancing elementals then some b@#$s#@$% ranking system that you just told doesn’t mean sh@#.

Blizzard, improving my skills is the only reason I play this game. If you remove that, or fake my improvement, I will leave. It’s that simple.