Cyclone Mage vs Purr Paladin

How are you supposed to play this matchup? As mage.

PURR PALADIN

Who’s a good kitty? Good kitty fights for the Light, doesn’t he? Yes, good kitty!

17 Likes

As a mage or paladin?

As which side? Pure Paladin rarely has the luxury of many choices; the plan is the same as always: Mulligan for early game and Truthseekers, slam stats until you win. The biggest thing is to try to avoid exposing Libram of Wisdom to devolving missiles; use it for trades as much as you can, and always try to have wide boards if you have Argent Braggart or juicy devolve targets.

On the mage side: abuse crippling Paladin weaknesses. Keep them off the board, and remember they have terrible comeback so if their board is clear they can’t do much against Chenvala on 3 or Ras Frostwhisper without Libram of Justice combos. In general just out-tempo them as punishment for being fair.

2 Likes

Now I want to see a paladin cat hero. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Mr. Bigglesworth, Champion of the Light.

1 Like

Grrrrrr!!!

12 Likes

You freeze stuff in key momments to win.

Not even joking. Paladin do terrible against freeze effects.
That to not talk about devolving missiles making their librams into nothing.

Autopilot to a win.

This matchup is very polarized to being mage favored.

You outvalue them at every turn and just wait for them to run out of resources.

1 Like

What. Mage out-tempos Paladin hard, but there is no way in hell you outvalue Pure Paladin without some god-roll RNG.

I just try to keep their board clear early. Many times at some point in early mid game, they will run out of things to play and then you are free to take control. Once they have to answer your threats instead of being the aggressor, you usually win.

Devolving Missiles. Even if you didn’t include it, the Spellkin build gives you many chances to generate it.

Beyond that, freeze the big things and smash face with Mana Giants/Snow Eles.

If they draw a perfect buffing curve and you draw terribly sure, you lose, but Mage is pretty reasonably favored in this fight.

1 Like

Yeah the last game I drew 0 of my draw / generation engines (cyclones) while he had GOD-like RNG with generated Lord Barov and Guardian Augmerchant.

Yeah, having absolutely terrible luck when you’re opponent has excellent luck loses you pretty much and CCG match.

Also, devolving missiles is just brutal.

If Paladin ever gets a board, you just Devolving missiles and drop a giant.

It’s very hard to impossible for them to recover after that.

As easy as you like. Paladin doesn’t beat mage.

Turtle mage is highly favored vs pure paladin. You get combo going and they are completely helpless so just stall at all costs and set up the turn 10 tort. IF they set up huge taunt wall just kill with sunreaver. Also run the version without doomsayer and without acid ooze. Its just better.