[Controversial Discussion] Good Job Blizzard?

There was a recent incident where a player had his account banned. I believed he seeks to address his grievance with Blizzard support leading to failure. Thereafter, he attempt to bring his situation known via reddit.
The player had his account reinstated where Blizzard also gave the reply as attached.

• Should we give credit to Blizzard for this incident?
  • What should players with valid grievance do/ how should players react to such incident?
  • Side question: Would a player whom attempts a similar course of action here in THIS forum, be able to be assured of equivalent response as of reddit?

I give Blizzard credit for erroneously banning players and failing to reinstate them on appeal. The fact that they did the right thing only after public shaming shouldn’t be seen as a positive.

8 Likes

I’ll come back, once the blood circulating throughout certain complexes of synthesized protein in my body is adequate enough, as to compensate for my lack of self-esteem and self-worth.
And leave a comment.

2 Likes

Perhaps to a degree, because this is a better outcome than simply leaving the player banned. It is, however, vastly overshadowed by the previous denial of appeal. The issue itself still feels bad, rather than happily resolved.

Blizzard customer service can be one heck of a brick wall for some folks, so really the only thing left is to take it to relevant social media which apparently does achieve actual results.

Very, very unlikely. With Jesse around and MVPs capable of bringing his attention to the matter it was very possible, but this place often feels all but abandoned as Team 5 evidently feels confident that their contributions to Reddit are satisfactory.

3 Likes

They ban someone, don’t tell him exactly why and include a message that basically says “we won’t respond to any further contact”. No. I’m not giving them any credit for reversing this ban after the story appears on reddit and their official forums.

If I was the guy, I wouldn’t bother coming back or playing a blizzard game in the future either.

5 Likes

Atrocious customer support if true which evidence supports.

“if true”? the blizzard’s customer support has been terrible since wotlk

It’s kind of hard to give credit since they guy wasn’t cheating in the first place. Can’t imagine spending a ton of money on the game and then randomly having your account banned without evidence. If his thread hadn’t gathered enough attention, the ban probably wouldn’t have gotten reversed either.

2 Likes

I found a good reply in the reddit post:

If He just played a lot of cards and you ban account, the question remains as to why Team-5 doesn’t regulate repeating playing cards and stopping rope timer during game client animation on the server-side?

so you think they shouldnt pay attention to feedback or unban them?

Maybe they should have properly investigated in the first place

4 Likes

Maybe they did.

I mean, the guys story smacked HARD of BS to me. Ultimately we only had his side via heresay and one biased by having come from himself.

I wonder if the thing which changed here was their stance on an exploit. Maybe they DID catch him doing something easily defined as an exploit but decided that fixing it and ignoring offenders was less bad press than punishing for it.

Especially when no announcement was made which clarified doing it would result in a ban.

Truth is, we dont know. Anything at all, in reality. Just some stories.

1 Like

Even if that is true, it smacks of extreme laziness and disregard for their paying customers to ban accounts and not provide the account holder with sufficient information to be able to make a case to defend themselves.

I’m guessing the reason is that they’re not interested in time and resources the back and forth communication would involve.

If you’re going to ban me, at least tell me very specifically why.

people are cheating by changing dll to skip the animation to play more cards during a turn
going by the reddit threads they thought doing this was the only way to get extra time but it turns out there was another way and many did it unintentionally and when blizzard tried to ban the cheaters they ended up banned too

thx to the reddit threads they realized they were banning people who werent cheating then reversed those bans and are trying to find a way to filter out the cheaters

1 Like

If they investigated, the issue would have been solved 2 days and a 13k upvoted reddit post ago.

2 Likes

Going further, the real scandal is that they are legally allowed to do so. (Consumer protection laws cough)

2 Likes

“Good Job for responding to a wrongful ban only AFTER a wave of consumer backlash in an attempt to save face!”

Nah. Not feeling it.

1 Like

Some companies operate with a system that defines the scope of individuals and/or depts. Thus, it is “understandable” that consumers does not get better services for grievances and issues.

When companies is able to “react” and resolve such incidents, that are usually ignored, as it fails in the “not my problem” area in between dept, it is really commendable…

The conflict was when how the whole incident developed where it showcase areas where so many areas of the company’s deficiency.

With each incident that the players wishes to be grateful to Blizzard, is usually accompanied with controversies that sours good gesture/works.

Would “WHAT WE’RE DOING” eventually get swept under the carpet for the players to gradually forget the incident, or will actually improvement be made to the system?
Will improved communication be conducted with proper explanations, or nothing really changes?

Highly doubtful. They have used the copy paste replies for all sorts of disputes for many years now. In my experience, you gotta reopen the case after they say “case closed” to speak to an actual rep… and I have a fair bit of experience in that regard.

Should it change? Yes. Will it change? Doubtful when it means paying someone to do what a robot does for free.

1 Like

Yes, I am always in a dilemma.
Wishing for the best, yet aware of reality.