"Challenge"/difficulty of single-player adventures

Just some short rants concerning the single player adventures (particularly Dalaran Heist heroic anomaly mode, but most points are general).

1. Why oh why do I need to start and concede a game if it’s an anomaly mode I’m not interested in playing (for example “Murlocs occasionally join the battle”)? Is it too much quality of life to just be able to click the anomaly mode off and on again with a new mode being generated?

2. Most of the time, playing these solo adventures feels like playing the game against a 7-year old ADHD kid who cheats. Was that the intent?

3. When Blizzard made the opponents it seems the thinking was “Let’s make some really cool, synergetic decks… which the players won’t get access to, and let’s instead have them sift through some random unsynergetic garbage buckets and see how far they can get”.

4. I get that heroic should be challenging, and I agree with the idea but these modes aren’t challenging in the sense that every game/adventure could be won with correct play. These games are “challenging” in the same way walking blindfold through a minefield and surviving or winning the lottery is “challenging”; it’s a complete RNG crapfest. You can (normally will) get unsynergetic buckets. You’ll get a bad mana curve. You’ll get unlucky draws. The AI never has bad synergy/curve.

5. Is the 0-mana hero powers and mana advantage in the the later bosses a substitute for creating a good AI?

6. I would say in most runs, at one point you will encounter a boss where the match is decided on turn 1. Is that intentional? Do people actually find that enjoyable? Do Blizzard think people find that enjoyable? Maybe it’s just me who is out of sync with the community here… But I feel that you usually lose because of things you have ABSOLUTELY NO way of playing around, and when you actually win it’s because the stars aligned, hell froze over, pigs flew and you got super lucky. I remember getting a deck consisting only of Elder Taggwag with shuffle 1-cost into deck on play and reduce cost of cards in hand by 1, which I naturally won but there was no skill; I couldn’t plan it… it was just the gods decided to grant you an insane deck. In the current state it would almost be more fun just to be notified at the start of the adventure that “you lost to boss 5 because of bad RNG”… it would certainly be time better spent…

I wish they could come up with a better way of making “challenging” content… at the moment the biggest challenge is not throwing your computer out the window when you lose to factors you have no way of playing around or controlling for the nth time in a row…

But maybe all this is just me… who knows?

5 Likes

I have problem with all dungeons

1. I don’t have the cards for it.

2. The witchwood’s etc i just can’t play around a win, been following all kinds of guides yet it doesn’t work, the AI counters every card i play