Can someone clarify how the new duplicate protection works?

I saved all of my packs to open today, and I already got a duplicate. I thought I might have not gotten it wrong, so I read blizzard’s announcement of the change here:

But the fact is I still didn’t quite undestand it. Can someone please detail it for me?

PS: As to what I didn’t understand, well, I think I’d like to know how does it change in comparison to the old way, as I’m a new player and also don’t understand how it worked before.

Thanks.

“You’ll no longer receive more than two copies of any Common, Rare, or Epic card until you have owned two copies of all cards of that rarity in a set.”

Lets say you open a Classic pack and get the standard 4 commons and one rare. You have most of the classic set but are missing a few cards. The pack will not contain any common card that you already have 2 of unless you already have two of every common classic card. The same goes for the rare card. It will be a classic rare card that you have zero or one of unless you already have 2 of every classic rare card.

If you are lucky enough to get a epic card it will follow the same rule, you will not get a classic epic card that you already have 2 of unless you already have 2 of every classic epic card.

If you get a legendary card same thing except you can only get 1 of each legendary before you start getting duplicates.

If you open a pack from a different set same thing but replace ‘classic set’ with the set that you opened.

Under the old rules you could end up with 10 (or more) of the same card while still missing other cards of the same rarity.

1 Like

Ah, okay, now I got it. Thanks for the clarification.