Please, kindly delete this

Please, kindly delete this.

Every Blood Elf described previously has been either male or female. They decided to make Varden non-binary. Make of it what you will.

2 Likes

In general High Fantasy Lore, elves have typically been androgynous tilting toward feminine. Also, female dwarves are often said to have beards. Make fot hat what you will.

1 Like

Of course, Warcraft female dwarves never have beards.

“It” is pretty demeaning. I think they is the correct pronoun to use, which is what Blizzard did.

1 Like

It is a demeaning term for LGBTQ people in general, not fictional Blood Elves. It makes them sound sub-human, like a thing instead of a person.

From Wikipedia: Some non-binary or genderqueer people use gender-neutral pronouns. In English, usage of singular ‘they’, ‘their’ and ‘them’ is the most common.

In addition, Varden is referred to as them in all media released by Blizzard. It’s “canon” that Varden goes by they/them.

So you would ignore what a person wants to be called and misgender them? Pretty sure that’s considered homophobic.

Blood elves are based off of tolkien elves, while night elves are like inspired by ancestral native american hunter tribes, but purple, to try and seperate fantasy themes of humans all being the same but the violent tusked race that wears bones through their head is green because it’s meant to be a evil fantasy game race while there could be underlying implied tensions otherwise accidental, intended or not.

As far as Varden, who really cares about the gender of a video game card we hurl at the other opponent, and fireball, pyroblast, sheep and hex. He could be a magical animated block of wood enchanted to speak like, act like, and dress like a human in the lore and it wouldn’t change much. It’s a video game card and quest mage players aren’t human, :stuck_out_tongue:. Jk lol.

We’ll likely get some background when Varden’s Book of Mercenaries is released.

As an aside the proper pronoun for someone identifying as non-gender is “they/them” even when it’s a single person, not “it”. “It” refers to objects and is thus extremely derogatory, any comparable terms for males or females are basically auto-moderation material if not outright bannable offenses. If you don’t like using “they” or “them”, the name of the person is generally considered the acceptable substitute.

Alright, I should explain myself. So take a person who identifies as non-binary (the correct/most-common pronoun being they/them), but their birth certificate says female. So from what I understand, if you are referring to this person in conversation with someone else, you would call them it or her. This would be deliberately disregarding what they want to be called, which is them.

You would be intentionally misgendering them, which is sex-based discrimination, and has serious repercussions on a person’s mental health. This could also be constituted as a hate incident, and is grounds for termination in the workplace. In addition, depending on your definition of homophobic (if it includes all LGBTQ people or just homosexuals) this would be classified as homophobic.

I’m not sure what country you’re most familiar with, but the U.S. based Blizzard company probably goes by the following grammar structure:

Third-person personal pronouns are used to describe a person or people, in American English grammar, as the subject, as the object or in the possessive.

These pronouns include the gender-neutral they/them/theirs — words that traditionally refer to a plural number but that today are used by some individuals who identify as gender nonbinary or who prefer not to share gender information.

https://share.america.gov/why-do-many-americans-list-pronouns-on-social-media/

1 Like

Yeah, you’re definitely homophobic, though perhaps not consciously. You literally just dismissed gender identifiy and called the people born that way genetic flaws and abnormal.

Also, just because your personal anecdote about a non-binary person preferred to be referred to as she, does not mean that is the same way for every person on the planet. You dismiss credible websites with statical data for anecdotal evidence. You ridicule creators of a character for defining a character’s pronouns simply because you think it’s ridiculous and grammatically incorrect (it’s correct).

These things really don’t speak well of your respect for the LGBTQ community.

1 Like

Whatever grammar structure you personally use is different than the grammar structure being used for Varden.

It is grammatically correct.

h ttps://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/singular-nonbinary-they

Words evolve and gain meanings over time. If you want to argue with the definitive dictionary, go ahead. You’re only displaying your ignorance further.

Actually, you are.

Sex and gender are not interchangeable. Pronouns are based on gender, not biological determinants because gender is a social construct.

But it isn’t, and you told us why yourself.

Unless you have seen what Vardin is packing, that would make them a “they” from my chair. But more to the point, this is about gender specific pronouns rather than biological concerns.

Let’s look at this another way though, what would you do if someone intentionally misgendered you all day work? Like called you the opposite of or differently that what you believe you are? Would you file a complaint? Would you leave your job?

So from my chair I don’t think it matters whether one likes, understands, or even cares about the issue, the human thing to do is say they/them and move on because it’s honestly none of our business.

They introduced Varden’s backstory already:

Varden Dawngrasp, Blood Elf Mage

A curious intellectual seeking redemption in the eyes of their people…

Dawngrasp spent most of their life in Silvermoon, a curious young elf and student of all things magical. They showed a preternatural gift for the arcane, quickly mastering various schools of magical thought. They were trained by Prince Kael’thas Sunstrider himself, who was part of the High Council of the Kirin Tor. It looked like Dawngrasp would rise through the ranks of the mages of Quel’thalas and attain the title of Magister.

Alas, Arthas and the Scourge had other plans. In the aftermath of the destruction of the Sunwell, Kael’thas went to Outland, but Dawngrasp would not go. After the prince’s subsequent betrayal, many of the magisters, Grand Magister Rommath included, suspected that Dawngrasp might be in league with the traitorous prince. Alienated, Dawngrasp turned to their studies for comfort.

After the Night of Falling Stars, a troll appeared in Silvermoon. His name was Kazakus, and he sought aid in gathering the glowing shards that had rained across the Barrens. Suspicious of the troll’s intentions, Dawngrasp went to Kalimdor of their own accord, seeking knowledge about the power contained inside the shards…

For Pete’s sake its a video game card, just call them whatever you want and I’m sure life will move on.

I don’t know why people get so fixated on hypothetical video game character lives and for how much I care we might as well ask to have A- or B+ and O type blood types represented on fictional characters and fight pointless internet wars on if we think some fictional character should have A- or A+ blood type and I could not care less. XD.

Everyone is so fixated on internet these days, But for what it’s worth, Varden has a body most reminiscent of a male blood elf like kalethalas or a male blood elf avatar maybe some (sometimes longer, but not always hair).

Female blood elves tend to at least in game look most like tolkien female elves or Valleras. If any thing the they thing is probably about mtg having nonbinary cards and someone asking for hs to have the same x it’s just probably cheap corporate token representation pr stuff. If it’s good PR for cheap they can do it, if they think it’s risky they don’t. Etc.