Battlegrounds, TOP #5?

There have been several times now where after the battle gets down to the final 5 players, and even though it is rare, I will place 5th and my ranking will go up not down. Also, let it be said that the amount it goes up varies from +5 to +40.

1. Your lobby players have a significant higher MMR than yours.

2. 3, 4, 5 die together and while you are rank 5, you get rank 4 MMR.

I just got it again, but last night I placed 4th and was deducted -14 rather than an increase of +14.

I just gained +1 for 5th place,yes its possible to gain when you come 5th if the lobby is considerably higher rating then you on average.

If multiple people are eliminated on the same turn, the rating gain/loss is averaged out between all the people eliminated.

That may be all well and good, but most players strive for 1st place but they usually will be happy making TOP 4 because of the guarantee of + to their rating, however, why would a player get a minus rather than a plus to their rating for placing 4th when on the norm this is how its done?

There are still element of relativity in here. If you are 10k. And play a lobby of 7k, you are kinda expect to be 1st, getting 4th while still a win is a severe underperformance and thus will result in a drop in rating. Similarly, a 7k in a 10k lobby will expect to get 8th and getting 5th is overperforming and thus may get a raise in rating.

To make the rating accurate. If there is a 10k player who averages 4th-5th place in 7k lobbys then he isnt really worth 10k so he gets ranked down.

Again, it’s an averaging of the gain/loss of everyone who was eliminated on that same turn. Zero rating is gained for placing “4.5” which happens when 4th and 5th place are eliminated at the same time.

Places 3,4,5 give you an average of 4, which means you’ll gain rating.
Places 4,5,6 give you an average of 5, which means you’ll lose rating.

Which means if you get a situation of 3,4,5,6 you get an average of 4.5, so you could go as low as 6th place and lose zero rating.

OK, let me ask this then, before the new dragon cards were implemented I was in the high 5’s, around 5595 in rating, but now because of a random series of disconnects and a whole lot of really bad tavern chooses I back down to 4423 and the last match I had I placed 2nd for the game and my rating only went up +23.