Am I a Bad Player?

I actually watched the replay: I don’t … think I understood the meaning of some plays:

You discounted your initial hand from the get go, without any big minion out and decided to keep most of the discounted stuff rather than building something big, going for tempo, early game, which I wonder why since you had Jeeves; when your matchup is something combo-like, it’s better to go “bite or die” than granting them extra turns; if you get precautious or sensitive of what they might have, your risk of losing increases;

Also, alot of turns mid-early game were used to just Hero Power; the 2 extra damage would have been inferior to a bigger board for the mage to deal with; not to mention, again, you had Jeeves, so there was no reason not to empty your hand.

Finally, the magnetizing the bomb in the end I think was a big mistake; you wanted it to die since the mage was at 5; magnetizing it reduced its chance of dying; the Polymorph in the end was indeed unfortunate tho.

That build not only is meant to go aggressive, but it serves no purpose to play “midrange-like” vs a Mage.

Hope that helped in a rather more “realistic way”, somehow.

1 Like

I love the rng that is stormbringer. When I pulled it from a brawl reward pack, I had to build around it. So now I have parts of token druid in a shaman deck to be evolved to who knows what come t6.

1 Like

I updated my mech hunter but I also threw together a budget dragon priest that I’ve been playing for fun on ladder. Thank you for your input.

The point to this post is learning how to get better. The whole “git gud noob” response is lazy, sarcastic and doesn’t help anyone that is genuinely wanting to better themselves. Every time I see this response in any post, I automatically assume the person saying it is a much worse player than I am so your advice would be terrible anyway.

Thank you Mand! You’re quite right, good sir!

It did: thank you!!!

2 Likes

Your Hunter vs Mage game just lack tempo, OP. In this match-up there is almost no way for you to out-damage Mage with hero power. Therefore, maximizing tempo every turn and put something on board is necessary.

1 Like

I believe my issue boils down to…

I’m irresponsible with mechs.

It looks so easy on the surface and you see all these points about how “brainless” these decks are so I play them just to spite those people and sometimes, they’re more complex than even I realized.

Even my own Dragon Priest, I’m still sort of learning about that one. Which spells I want to use up first before casting Shadow Visions.

Switching out dead cards. (I took out the Firetree Witchdoctors for Loot Hoarders because I wound up being milled a lot)

I’ve also been playing it in casual and I think only once I’ve been able to pull off my Thaurissan>Alex>Mind Blast combo. I’ve been considering replacing Alex with Malygos…

I think you nailed it the other way around;

you are way too thoughtful and precautious for a build meant to be approached in a more “brainless” manner;

similarly to playing Pirate Warrior; there is a strategy behind it too; I know the strategy sounds “brainless”, like “hit them very hard in the face and fast until they die” or rather “find any means necessary to be able to deal the highest and most consistant amount of damage in the least amount of turns” but it’s a strategy nonetheless; if you try to deviate from that strategy, you oughta expect less in terms of results;

putting more thought into things than necessary is another way of losing.

3 Likes

Yeah.
What Luke said.

You are too responsible with your mechs.
To the point where you deviate from the deck’s plan.
A tempo/aggro deck cannot afford to lose the initiative.
To win, you need to use every chance to stay proactive.
This way, you force them into a Zugzwang.
A severely disadvantaged position, in which they are forced to make suboptimal plays in decisive situations.
You force them to look for answers.

Of course.
Sometimes, you will be at the short end of the stick.

Alternatively: Think of Mech Hunter as a hybrid of Aggro Druid and Pirate Warrior.

You do not hold on to resources, unless you suspect a boardclear that puts you behind.
Your resources only get you value, if you use them as soon as possible.

And even then.
Game winning plays are made by taking risks.
Sometimes, your only out is to go all in.

3 Likes

Aha! You guys are wonderful for clarifying that for me! I am forever always thinking about blizzard, flamestrike, endless rays of frost.

And planning for next turn. I never thought of the absolute opposite as a strategy. I do remember seeing posts on the old forum during pirate warrior that if you can survive the initial onslaught, they’re not that bad.

I adjusted my deck accordingly and bobs your uncle. I’ve been having a blast (literally) with dragons/mindblast/vargoth shenanigans in casual to blow off steam. It really helps to have a fun deck to play in casual where nothing matters, lol.

I think your problem is that you havent played through various decks/classes but picked (or dont have the money dust) certain decks/ classes.
Playing various decks gives you the experience to know what your opponents gonna do and the weaknesses that a deck has. So try playing with other decks/ classes as well and i think you ll be fine.

1 Like

And still earn gold.

While playing fun decks!!

Eureka!

All my decks are fun. Unfortunately, wild cyclone/quest mage doesn’t let me, you know, play them.

I don’t think that you are a bad player, but even if you were a bad player it doesn’t matter if you have fun playing the game. For instance, I never reached legend rank and I am stuck at rank 5 on this season. It’s not a good rank, but I still have fun playing Hearthstone.

This is a huge point that too many people forget.

Back in my days of playing TCGs IRL, no one cared what your local tournament standing was. We just played for fun. When I played Halo, no one cared what anyone else’s ladder standing was. We played and had fun.

2 Likes

Well said. And Hearthstone has a lot of fun things to offer. I play ladder, but I also like to play arena, adventures and tavern brawl. So if ladder start to seem boring to me I play those other game modes.

Yes, games should be enjoyed and I enjoy Hearthstone but I also think I shouldn’t stop trying to improve my gameplay either. And for some of us, unfortunately, winning is fun.

I’ve earned two more crowns on chapter 1 of Heist but I got horribly stuck on Shaman. It depends on the brawl and I’m scared to throw away my precious gold on arena…

I agree with you. I want to improve my gameplay too and I also have fun winning, but I think it’s healthier for me to not take the game too serious. I don’t care much about ranks and stuffs.

Now, I was reluctant to volunteer because I normally play on EU and wild is the only game mode where I don’t have any knowledge of, so I thought there were better qualified people here that could offer a hand. That being said, I have faith in my fundamentals, so if you still want someone to take a look at your plays I’d be happy to help.

I took Mech Hunter to rank 4 last night. All that I can say,

• Loatheb is a staple. It wins you games single handedly
  • Throw in an Enhance-o-Mechano if you happen to have one. It’s amazing and not so hard to pull off. Boards as Mech Hunter are hard to clear
  • How about teching DK Rex, so you have a shot at winning control matchups? It’s a decent clear versus aggro as well
  • Playing around things like Defile, Shadow Word: Horror, and Excavated Evil is essential. And I think you already know how to Magnetize in such contexts

I do not have Loatheb (yet) but I will see about your other points.

1 Like

DANGER ALERT
I was forced to switch to Odd Paladin during my daily climb. Divine Shield and Quartermaster swarms have bested me more than once: if you don’t open T1 mecharoo/coin/mecharoo, the whole matchup is pain and those are Mech Hunter’s only 1mana drops beside Cogmaster. I often find myself running low on turn 1 plays, which never happens if you run baku pally.
Maybe I should focus on one single class instead. Still, the truth is I need to read my pocket meta and switch decks whenever it gets me down.

It got me up to rank 2.