Add Auto-Squelch or Remove the "Thank You" Emote

Acting like if only susceptible people need this because emotes are not tilting and then getting worried that if it is implemented a majority will leave it turned on because it can be tilting it is a contradiction

1 Like

sigh

No it’s not. Perhaps, when you realize that many different people can behave in many different ways, you might see that presenting how those different people could behave differently is important.

I also have not said that only overly sensitive people would want autosquelch.

you suggested that in the old forums, they are still there you know, but well, i guess we already agree that emotes can be tilting in some point so the “cartoon bubble” argument is over

Also, that can be avoided by making that when you active AS you can’t emote either, there, so if you leave it turned on you will realize, also, if AS goes like an option mode, i don’t see how it can be leaved on by people who doesn’t want it that way, you may still be able to squelch manually, and if it is too anoying you go to the options and then activate AS.

If someone leave it turned on with those conditions imposed, then that person doesn’t have any interest in emoting in the first place

1 Like

And back to some wild accussations.

It’s actually quite amusing that this whole thread you keep repeating that anti squelchers actually have legit points, yet non of you actually provide any - at least not in this thread.

Frankly, you shouldn’t even participate in this thread when your whole line of reasoning is ‘I have proof, but I won’t show it to you’. Though of course it’s your full right to spam the thread and sabotage the discussion.

But I personally done replying to you until you provide concrete points why auto squelch is bad for the game.

3 Likes

I don’t get why people always try to win this argument. Why argue with anti auto-squelchers when it is Blizzard you should be presenting a NEW argument for implementing auto-squelch? Everything has been said in the old forum. You’re not saying anything that hasn’t been said in the past few years. They don’t want it in their game. End of story. Nothing to see here. Move along.

I could take the time to speculate on a comprehensive list of reasons why I think Blizzard doesn’t want to implement it but why would I? It would simply be dismissed because you don’t like the answer.

Again… I don’t care one way or the other if the feature was ever implemented. I’m almost certain it never will be. But out of pure curiosity, what harm would it do? I’ve seen the question asked by a few people. I’ve seen a few people claim to have answered it. The answer is not in this thread.

Most people get blizzard reasons i suppose but are trying to persuade them, now, why some people dont want this? make yourself that question, if blizzard has a point people can get it, but what about those who are in the thread against it? i can see no logic behind it, the only one is that they like taunting their opponents

3 Likes

In your view this is a black and white issue but in reality that is not the case. It is a complex issue which has been addressed by the devs.

I don’t emote anymore unless someone emotes first. I filled up my friend list by using emotes respectfully.

For those asking for reasons, they have been discussed plenty of times. Each side dismisses the other side’s points. Ultimately it makes no difference and has not changed the devs stance. If you really want the feature, I suppose you could research the old mega thread and try to come up with some compelling arguments for the devs. I think we’ve covered all that ground already though and there are ways to address your issues with emotes that don’t involve arguing on the forums.

Addition of auto-squelch feature bears implicit consequences Blizzard may not want to acknowledge or debated about: online human interactions will always find a way to be toxic, no matter how simplistic it can get. Opponents argue that every community has them.

Do they convey any message? Yes. Are they complex enough to reflect the complexity of human mind and behaviour? Absolutely not. It’s as primitive as communicating with fire signals and smoke. So that’s 1 point to the team AS.

But what the feature entails is that: Hearthstone community has some “weak-minded, special snowflakes” and naturally, “ill-willed, abusive and toxic” individuals-which is true. This, however, is obviously not a good face for your game and the company. So 1 point to team blizzard.

On the more individual scale, what this option in actuality gives you is the false sense of power and safe space. A presupposition that most humans are toxic also makes people want for options to severely limit the means of communication. Hatred and toxicity instigates more bad and abnormal behaviour. Some are affected more, some less. So team AS also gets 1 point.

As someone who is neither against nor in favour of the feature, I very much acknowledge that not everyone who favours it are weak-minded, fragile, asocials or special snowflakes. There can be an argument to be made about the original view or artistic perspective of the game developers etc. Team5 scores another round.

Another strong argument which I also hold to is that: why not play a single player game if you want a single player experience? The point where argument sometimes fail as the discussion goes on is that not everyone have the same needs or expectations from everything. It’s also false to assume they have no friends. Maybe they do and maybe they don’t have fragile egoes. Maybe they are simply uninterested in online friends or entertain the idea of online communication in a game where communication holds no merit.

But if the latter part is true, it’s also true that squelching serves no purpose other than making you feel safe as they are not serious, and more often than not, meaningless. But then again we come in full-circle, stating the obvious: if it holds no value, why not either give the option to block them or completely remove them? At this point, I find this discussion to be pointless.

When or if the feature gets implemented, those who manually squelch their opponents every single match now doesn’t have to do so. So it is a quality of life change as some may argue, but the cost is also there. And it’s something Blizzard doesn’t want in their games and hurt the echo chamber.

Another argument (which I find stupid) is that: what if someone who auto-squelched leaves it on without noticing? Well, if someone has already toggled the auto-squelch, I very much doubt that they want to enable them in any point in their life.

In conclusion: Blizzard scored the most points and yes, they are the arbiters. If they don’t want it, we don’t get it. Because they already punish those who mean harm and verbally assault others. They also present you with an option to mute them should they annoy you. So we probably will never get it.

At this point I am neutral to this discussion. I find it stupid to have to begin with. There are more pressing issues in my opinion.

1 Like

You have some fair points but - and I admit it may be due to my own failures - I don’t see any inherent harm. Your point as I understand it is basically it limits interaction and gives Auto-squelchers some false sense of security. I would argue the squelcher most likely knows the opponent is emoting. Every player I face is emoting. So there’s no false sense that the opponent isn’t doing it. It’s just that the other player doesn’t have to observe it. The effect is the exact same as if the player had manually clicked “squelch,” without having expended the effort. I agree the effort involved is minimal, but that’s not my point. I’m not arguing the merits of Auto-squelch. Sometimes I squelch an opponent and sometimes I don’t. I wouldn’t use it. But the actual harm of having the feature so far hasn’t been satisfactorily presented.

Also - even though your argument doesn’t have me convinced, I want to thank you for at least stating your points. Previous posters have just said it’s been explained before in some other forum, I’m not explaining it now (then why even bother replying).

1 Like

Categorically false.

Because these are discussion boards where people discuss things and express their opinion. By your logic half of forum discussions are pointless, for example, any discussion regarding balance since no one except Blizzard can change their game, but here we are discussing different topics since that is what people do.

I don’t see any point inventing any new argument for auto squelch because the old reasons given are already good enough. It’s just that Blizzard ignores them and stubbornly refuses to add auto squelch without giving any reasonable explanation why they wouldn’t add it. It’s just a plain ‘NO’ from them without any explanation or inventing some childlish excuses that it would bloat their already ‘very complicated’ menu.

In the end of the day it’s of course their game and their decision, but we are still free to discuss it.

1 Like

What a well-grounded point.

I guess trolls are gonna keep trolling.

1 Like

Are you kidding me? You’re the troll.

That is the epitome of trolling. Making an inflammatory false statement to simply rile up the forum population.

NO POINTS HAVE BEEN BROUGHT UP? NONE?

Liar.

Here, I can do it too.

There hasn’t been one solid argument to implement Auto Squelch. People who want AS have admitted they are simply too lazy to press squelch and emotes really don’t bother them at all, they just want to antagonize their opponents and reverse BM them.

Please provide evidence.

All you do is bully people and call them names, you haven’t made one good post on these forums.

In this thread you personally brought zero points to the discussion as to why auto squelch should not be in the game. The only point Mand brought was that with auto squelch more people will squelch, but they didn’t explain why more people squelching or why squelching in general is a bad thing for the game.

Auto squelch supporters on the other hand have stated in this very thread for the thousand’s time that auto squelch would be a quality of life feature which would simply ease the process of squelching which they already do every single game regardless and that other games, even those where communication is much more essential than in Hearthstone, has features to auto disable communication.

1 Like

I’ll use Mand’s approach and tell you to go look yourself for the evidence in the old forums, and if you won’t bother I’ll accuse you of intellectual dishonesty.

1 Like

Or, how about you stop making false accusations and I won’t ask you for proof.

These threads kinda feel like they become a hundred replies of every telling everyone else that they’re just trolls and need to look at other threads :thinking:

Auto Squelch should not be in the game because manual squelch already is.

There is no need to automate something that already exists to accommodate a behavior that is truly subjective.

The “need” to squelch every match is truly a personal choice based on statements that can not be proven. Ie. the frequency of emotes spammed in a BM fashion during a given match.

The safeguard to prevent abuse is already in place in the form of manual squelch and can easily accommodate any perceived abuse.

No need to devote resources to automating this function.