A year of classic destruction

Well.

If classic set not exists the new player has no need to buy it.

At this point you can count on they maintaining the classic even if nerfs turn it unplayable at all.
With that said it will be important for us as players point it to new players when it start to be the scenario.

There are 237 cards in the classic set. OP listed 7 of them that have been nerfed. (2.9%)

Conclusion: HEARTHSTONE CLASSIC SET IS RUINED Q_Q!

1 Like

You can’t possibly be that daft. Not all cards are created equal. Hence not all cards have the same impact or power. You further gut the classic collection by nerfing only a handful of cards. Try again.

So you think that the entire classic set is RUINED because 1 to 2 class cards per class have been nerfed?

Here is the definition, but I’m sure you will cling to your melodrama and hyper-reactive whining.

ruined
/ˈro͞oind/

–(of a building or place) reduced to a state of decay, collapse, or disintegration.
–* having been irreparably damaged or harmed.

I view at as Classic set provides the platform where players starts to build their collection. New players that start off with a modest collection can “safely” rely on the Classic set as the backbone in their deck building until they can replace them with more powerful expansion sets. (Classic set last “forever”, expansion set last 2years/less in standard)

At the rate of “powering down” the classic set, new player will have a harder time, unless subsidised substantially & consistently through freebies and offers.

2 Likes

But no.

The new player will just go to exp cards and need someone to help they since blizzard will never admit it even if it happens.

If I take a single popular letter (~4%) out of the English Alphabet, I’ve reduced hugely the number of words you can make. I’ve ruined several works of Shakespeare.

More prosaically, the spark plugs of a car are less than 2% of the machine, but it isn’t going to work without them.

Degree of impact is not always proportional to percent composition. This is especially true when things are meant to be used in combination (as with cards in a deck).

The classic set is meant to provide reasonable decks for f2p and new players to craft. Things like ramp druid and temp rogue are part of the evergreen landscape that they are slowly pruning. People are right to be concerned.

2 Likes

Sorry, What do you mean?

1 Like

I think what hes saying is that nuking B&C is fine, but its on us as the “community” to inform new players that classic packs are not worthwhile purchasing.

I disagree, its on blizzard to do that if this is the way the want to reduce the prevalence of cards in that set. The online HS community is a minuscule percentage of players, there is absolutely no way that WE can do that. Blizzard need to make it clear that the Classic set is not worthwhile if they continue down this road.

#rotateb&c and cut the crap already!

2 Likes

State of decay. I would say that on an objective level, classic is indeed in a state of decay.

Collapse? Depends on perspective. Ramp druids would say yes. Any other form of druid currently cannot exist without playing token. So yea you can say that the classic set nerfs to druid has precipitated the collapse or disintegration of everything druid minus token which was only recently reinvigorated with the new expansion.

But I see you’re a literal guy. Literally. So of course you’re right. Nerfs didn’t ruin classic because by definition, classic still exists. Therefore it can’t be ruined so long as it remains. Who cares if the cards are competitive or relevant. Right?

4 Likes

Most of the cards are not competitive or relevant already… why should there be a few exceptions instead of an even power level among the classic set? This mentality that the classic set is the holy, sacred thing is beyond stupid to me. Prep needed a nerf, Fiery war axe needed a nerf. Maybe one day they will consult baby Jesus and Moses before making a video game, but until then, expect change.

So you are saying my car will not start without Chillwind Yeti? Hmmm, i never thought of it like that.

I see your point and I actually concur that classic should not be viewed as sacrosanct.

Yet, I must disagree with the desecration of the classic set because this treatment doesn’t jive with Blizzard’s purported premise of characterizing classic as a foundational set. Had Blizzard actually adopted a rotational format for the classic set, we wouldn’t have this issue. But they seem to want to have their cake and eat it.

If you reflect on how Blizzard marketed and introduced the classic set, we were told it would be the perpetual set that defines the key qualities of a class. It was the bedrock in which future expansions would stand. As in foundations go, you generally don’t mess with it unless there is something fundamentally awry.

But what we’ve witnessed is the gradual erosion of the classic set in direct contravention on Blizzard’s own started purpose. In fact, nerfing classic either through HOF or straight up nerfs appears to be envogue with each balance patch. Indeed, the convenient excuse of “constraining design space” rings a bit hollow by now. To me, that sound bite means that the creative brain trust at Blizzard has gone bankrupt. A total cop out. A poor excuse to reverse their own precedent and ideology while at the same time refusing to implement a true, sustainable solution—a rotation of classic.

2 Likes

Rotating classic could not be a worse idea.

First it will be that. For “design space.”

Then it’ll be “hey guys, expac 1 of the last year and 2/3 is cramping our ‘design space’ so we’re gonna rotate it a set early.”

Then it’ll be each new expac is a whole new game. Good luck catching up.

I don’t give af what magic does. HS is 10x the game magic is. It can find a better way because it’s a better game.

It’s actually a really great idea. You dont need to have a knee-jerk reaction to the idea just because you are uninformed about it.

Magic is a much more indepth game, hearthstone is fun to watch and play… they are both good for different reasons.

It’s comparable to the “Core set” that MTG uses. There are always cards that are flowing in or out, or being added to the base sets per year. So the cards from years ago can come back, or can phase out if they are stifling new expansions.

1 Like

If I wanted to play a magic clone I would.

So hearthstone cant draw inspiration from other success stories in its own genre? Why exactly? Because you no want?

1 Like

This whole idea of “catching up” or “the games too hard or expensive to get into” is bogus

CCG are expensive just look at Magic look at Magic Online or Artifact

It’s not the Developers problem if you can’t keep up. It’s up to you the player to decide if you want to invest into the game.

Hearthstone on the other hand if you choose can be completely FTP. You must understand though that this choice also comes with consciences don’t come and complain that you don’t have all the best decks to play or whatever because that’s YOUR choice.

When it comes to the classic set.
A rotating set is the best option. It’s been proven to be a good decision going by other CCG

Nerfing problem Classic cards is a bandaid fix to the problem. But at least it’s a fix. You cannot make the argument of “oh it’s the base design of the game or new players need them to be good otherwise how are they meant to keep up”
Well if a cards poorly balanced, it’s poorly balanced. It doesn’t matter where the card comes from, if it’s a problem it’s a problem. Pretty simple.
The small amount of cards out of the entire classic set that have been touched were changed for the right reasons overall.

Proven to be a good idea by other inferior CCGs.

Please.

I’m all for well-planned nerfs but I think you’re not wrong here. So far the team behind the game seem to be very lazy when it comes to balancing their game. They are either to scared or unwilling but what the game desperately needs is a new base/classic card set like how Magic The Gathering does it.
They could already do so much by re-evaluating old sets (like Priest who needs Lightbombs so badly … or they have to keep on printing busted aoes for him in the future). Same goes for sooo many other classes. This not only would refresh the game by a HUUUUGE amount, they could also announce it like 1 year in advance so no one is pissed when some cards leave or enter classic set.

1 Like

The “superior” ccgs method is already in force, nerfs and HoF. A rotating core is a far better option than systematically destroying the evergreen set.

1 Like