As our new Returning Player Experience went live along with the 17.0 update, we’ve found a few places where we think we can clarify the process and what you can expect.
To expand upon the eligible time period, we’ve defined a returning player as one who had not logged into Hearthstone for four months as of March 17th, so your last login to Hearthstone needed to be before 11/18/2019 to qualify. If you logged in on or between 11/18/2019 to 3/17/2020, you would not qualify as a returning player and receive the Class Deck.
If you’re a returning player who has not logged in since before 11/18/2019, to earn your free deck
- Log into Hearthstone and be presented with a new Legendary Quest line, which is made up of three total quests. In the first quest, you will face three bosses made specifically for the quest line. In the final two quests, you will play 30 cards then deal 100 damage to an enemy hero.
- Upon completing the third and final quest, you will be able to select your free Class Deck once you return to the main menu.
If you’re a new player and have not completed the new player ranks,
- Log into Hearthstone and complete the tutorial and the Starter Quest line
- You will need to graduate from the New Player Ranks (Ranks 40-1)
- Upon completing these quests, you will be able to select your free Class Deck once you return to the main menu.
If you have played Hearthstone before, but either did not complete the tutorial or the New Player Ranks, you will need to do both before receiving the free Class Deck. Note that there’s also a chance you’ll see the Returning Player quests and need to complete those as well.
As a final note, it is possible that you may not see the deck in your deck list if you did not have an open deck slot when you chose your free Class Deck. If this happens, don’t worry! You will still receive all of the cards from that deck. If you would like to delete one of your existing decks, you can then navigate to this page and use our deck list. From here, copy the deck code, and you can then add the deck to your deck list from within Hearthstone.
We hope this helps to clarify the experience for everyone! In addition, we are going to keep investigating any potential issues with the returning player decks, and we will provide updates as we learn anything new.
EDIT 1: Quick update that the team has indeed identified an issue that we know is affecting some players. We’re currently investigating the steps needed to fix it. I may not have an update again until tomorrow, but I’ll let everyone know what to expect as soon as I know more.
EDIT 2: We’ve just deployed a hotfix that contains, among other fixes, a resolution to heal up accounts affected by the issue we found and prevent it from happening in the future.