47 U.S. Code § 509 - Prohibited practices (Oops Hearthstone)

You have to understand the difference between, what Blizzard can do and what makes sense to do.
Can Blizzard manipulate the matchmaking or things like card draw? :
Yes they can. A card like Zephrys shows us, that it would be possible. The system does not need to be flawless, if it just gives players a little help would be enough (Things like: Check if enemy has a strong minion on board, if yes, check if the deck has one of x single target removel cards and if yes, draw it next turn)

But would Blizzard do that? Also yes, if and only if they think it is worth the cost and risk.
And here is the thing most people ignore, when speeking about how rigged the game is:

Blizzard has nothing to gain, if they rig the game, so that you always face your counter.
Blizzard has nothing to gain, if they force you into a big losing streak.
Blizzard has nothing to gain, if the players feel like the game is rigged against them

If you want to make money, you have to make sure your playerbase does not leave (even the non paying players, you need them to attract paying players)
And if your players are unhappy, because you rig the game against them, they will leave.

Oh and for everyone who thinks “They want to make sure your winrate is 50/50”.
They do not need to rig the game for that. There is an system in place in most online games for that. A (most of the time) hidden value, that increases if you win and decreses if you lose. And your opponents are chosen based on that value. No need to rig tha game if doen right (and easier, than rigging the game)

1 Like

Okay. This thread has been quite the rollercoaster.

I have read through the patent. Shocking, honestly. I was not aware Activision had this up blatantly in public, even though it should have been common knowledge that this tactic has been employed for virtually every single game involving game winning (and sometimes even cosmetic) microtransactions.

Now, a few points I would like to make.

Blizzard is a company that is profit driven. The company overall has plateau’d, but let’s focus on the game in question for now. Hearthstone’s market share has plateau’d as well and is at the cash cow stage in its growth share matrix. That cow will transform into a dog over time unless some major external changes happen in the future.

Paradoxically, Hearthstone has become more free to play friendly over the years. The game rewards you with more free legendaries, more packs, higher gold rewards, free grindeable cosmetics, more free gamemodes, singleplayer, the core set, etc. I say paradoxically because although the rewards have vastly increased, so has the costs of being competitive in the constructed environment. However, in order for the appeal to the game to completely die for new players or free to play players, the constructed environment has been reduced to a niche, instead of the main gamemode of the game. Further improvements towards sedentarization of the game modes, separate from each other will undoubtedly come in the future.

Hearthstone irefutably works off of the positive reinforcement strategy. That’s why Bob urges you to buy battlegrounds perks after a successful run and that’s why returning players or new players have a very high (statistically proven!) luck percentage of getting legendaries. You cannot have consumer remorse if you were remorseful before consuming. Blizzard has a strong marketing sector and therefore understands and employs this well.

With these in mind, let’s discuss the patent itself, its implications and Hearthstone’s position in all of this. Like I said, patenting manipulation is shocking and I feel like Activision should have received overwhelmingly more bad press from it than it did. Imagine what the reaction would be if EA did it. They state that they have never used it, but this is quite honestly a load of crap and a company “investigating themselves” should not never be believed by anybody with any functional braincells.

HOWEVER, —and this is a big one —my father holding a knife near a crime scene and me holding his hand neither makes me the primary suspect of the crime, nor does it incriminate my father. My father does become the primary suspect, yes, and he will (should?) be investigated for it, but he is not already pronounced guilty. The existence of a patent for manipulation is extremely shady and is damning by itself, but does not prove the usage of it. Now, to skip on the company PR bs, let’s be more conspiratory for a second and assume they do use it. We are aware of hearthstone’s use of positive reinforcement. Now why would they manipulate matchmaking for free to play players to lose more on average than paying players, if they want them to incentivize them to spend? I don’t know about you, but when a game screws me over time and time again, my first sentiment is not to throw my money at it. The usage of that tactic is not believable for Hearthstone considering they use many other manipulative tactics to incentivize players to spend. Those alone would have to individually take up other threads and I would rather focus on the patent in question rather than the other possibilities.

As far as the other arguments in this thread are concerned, such as Zephrys and the others, I would prefer not to waste my time on them because they can all be reduced to “Oh, weren’t you aware of the fact that —insert conspiracy here—?

2 Likes

While I agree with most of your post, I would like to correct you here. This particular tactic can NOT be used (at least not under the method described in the patent) by other companies, because it is patented and thus only Activision can use it. What many of these conspiracy followers seem to ignore is that by making this patent, Activision has actually made it less likely for online multiplayer competitive games to be rigged, since doing so ub this manner would be in violation of this patent, and would open a door for legal repercussions.

1 Like

Oh is it? Where can i find that prove. i would like to read into that.

Not really: what people sometimes forget, is that other companies still can do the same. They just have to pay a fee to Blizzard.

1 Like

Blizzard does not hold the discussed patent, it’s held by Activision. A minor, but important distiction.

Since it’s not an essential component of online matchmaking (or online gaming), Activision doesn’t have to offer it under Reasonable and Non Discriminatory License terms and can essentially ask for however much they want. I honestly doubt they’d ask for anything that wouldn’t be considered extortion.

I might have worded it a bit poorly, so you might have expected something different and are already aware of this, so I apologize if that is the case.
The enhanced pity timer of new buyers

Returning players benefit from this because this resets after long periods of time (I think the last reset was in Un’goro? But I might be wrong), hence them buying 10 packs again of old sets will again guarantee a legendary and an epic within those 10 packs.

interesting, but seems more like a one time thing (maybe even some sort of bug) and not part of a strategy to manipulate players.

Btw. not manipulating matchmaking does not mean, that Blizzard (or all game companies) are not using strategies or tricks to influance you to play more or buy things.

There are a lot of different Videos on that topic. From “how to present something, so that people buy” up to “How to trick the player, so he things he is better than he is”
Dynamic difficulty comes to mind.

Everyone who is interested in “how do they get me to pay for this free2play game?” should watch this video:

it shows a lot of tricks and techniques.

Great post and well said, can you share a link to the patent? I would like to read it myself.

Fount it, close to the top result when searching for Activision matchmaking patent on google, and as mentioned, laying there in the wide open!

patents(dot)google(dot)com/patent/US20160005270A1/en

I’ve said it a million times, my luck seems off the chart when I delete the game and reinstall it on my phone after a couple of days, and this proves why! I’m gonna exploit the hell out of this now

2 Likes

Abstract

A system and method is provided that drives microtransactions in multiplayer video games. The system may include a microtransaction arrange matches to influence game-related purchases. For instance, the system may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player.

1 Like

Here is an article that mentions Activision involvement why reforge was bad. Bellular also discuss about it too.

https:// www. bloomberg. com/news/newsletters/2021-07-23/activision-blizzard-s-games-culture-crisis-runs-deep

1 Like

Congratulations, this has already been brought up and debunked in this very thread. Please read before replying.

This dude is trolling.

Everyone just ignore him.

It’s not a bug. It has not been a one time thing so far, gives me no reason to believe it will suddenly start being one.

This is publicly announced on the battle.net news, just hard to come up on google searches because of purposefully low indexing.

1 Like

My two cents: I feel blizz adds a random identifier to accounts. Those who hit a positive identifier will win more games. To per-determine potential “winners” if you aren’t flagged for victory, you’ll be one of those who quit, or become a whale.

2 Likes

They are electric sheep caught in a matrix of their of their own design.

They are incapable of seeing the truth.

Just let them go, as they will live in ignorance all of their lives.

They are being used and going out of their way to defend the abuser.

There is no hope for them.

1 Like

I am still to discover a female coder who’s done a blast of a game. Trust me, I’m looking! There isn;t and wasnt one at blizzard thats for sure. Making games is generally male department. There may be some exceptions, but females usually excel elsewhere. Like kitchen. Or nursery! Sue me!

They think they would patent something like that just for the hell of it. They don’t want to use it, they just have it collecting dust!

It really doesn’t matter. You accepted their terms and conditions when you began downloaded and began playing (implicitly or actively). Their servers, code and gameplay that you are allowed to access within the constraints that they set and allow.

LMAO!

The law you cited was enacted due to the 1950’s Radio Game Show scandals: wikipediaDOTorg/wiki/1950s_quiz_show_scandals

Read the definition of “contest” in subsection (b) (1), it’s right there. Hearthstone would not be considered a contest as defined by this law.

So even if there was rigged matchmaking, this law wouldn’t apply.

I’ve seen some crazy things from barracks and range lawyers; but I think forum lawyers have to be the best by far.