15+ cards in Mage top deck are pure RNG

D Missles, Runed Orb, Secrets like N Portal, Ring Toss, Mask od C’thun, DoL (ofc.)…

AAAND icing on the cake: Front Of Power and Primordial Studies - someone explain WHY FOR F**&*# SAKE NO MINION MAGE STILL HAS AT LEAST 8 MINIONS?! And they will be almost always good. No minion mage has more value with card generation than control warlock. F LOGIC.

3 Likes

The spells that generate minions all seem to give legendary minions as the pool to choose from is rather small. Makes apex so op.

Ranting aside, it’s always a problem with any discover card around rotation as the pool of option are so small, that the options will always be mostly the same… same reason why DOL is even remotely playable as you can pretty much guarantee the spells you get…

RNG boils my blood like no other. Nothing worse than Mage discovering a card to discover another while doing 2 damage, discovering another card and getting 3 minions for playing this stupid deck.

I really enjoy the strategic element of HS and honestly miss the old days. I don’t know how to play around a deck that generates random cards. No clue what I should play around.

1 Like

If you choose to play it then you live and die by the rng. But if your opponent plays it, you have that gamestyle forced upon you, which irks me. Team 5 is generally leaning away from these kind of decks, but they still don’t know what to do with Mage by the looks.

Can’t be worse than Solarian Prime =))

Because it would be far worse for the game if Spells Mage could function without minions at all. Do you really want a Mage version of Poison Rogue?

1 Like

I can destroy poison rogue with one ooze. Fighting against full RNG mode Mage I can only pray.

And if they didn’t have minions, it would be even worse. Which was my point.

Super strategic knowing what to do from the start and have to change absolutely nothing…

Want something that gonna really fry your brain?
Not knowing all your pieces and win conditions before play and have to think during the turn timer , play around probabilities , have to make whatever you get work.

Real strategists can do it even on the fly and not get salty over RNG.

1 Like

Your reward for no minions is random minions…great deck design

It’s hearthstone.

Design anything more complex than this and everyone gonna want it dead because there isn’t an so obvious answer that even a monkey would know.

This is of course patently false, as even if a deck has no cards that have RNG in them, there is still randomness in the mulligan/draw. What the opponent does (nothing stops them from having RNG effects) will also alter how you play and respond.

Consider combo decks, especially OTK combos. The combo itself has very specific pieces and play order that you basically “know what to do from the start and have to change absolutely nothing”. But combo decks are considered requiring a lot of skill, since you have to reach the combo to pull it off (see above on draw, mulligan, and what the opponent does)

…and let’s remember mages themselves have had plenty of combo decks in the past. Of course, mages didn’t/don’t accuse themselves of lacking strategy when they do it. Typical “it’s skill when I do it, it’s cheese when you do it” hypocrisy.

2 Likes

Yeah. That quote was probably an hyperbole. Everyone exagerate a little here and there when the opposite side has 0 nuance.

With that said. High volatility isn’t easy to play with either but in the hands of someone better than you almost any card combination gonna feel like a “highroll”.

Don’t worry, when Mage has a cut-and-dry strategy that can win consistently, y’all will whine and moan about that too lol

3 Likes

I not give even 1 week for threads asking for wildfire nerf if it gets a buff.

1 Like

“the opposite side has 0 nuance” is itself a statement with 0 nuance.

You tell yourself that the other side has 0 nuance, giving yourself the excuse to give 0 nuance.

It’s like Omni man, after beating the crab out of Invincible, going “WHY DID YOU MAKE ME DO THIS? THINK MARK THINK”

::high five for making reference to recent meme::

1 Like

But it’s exactly how it works.

If people wanna be civilized I all open to it.

If they don’t…
Well…
I not that patient. It’s not my obligation to treat well people who don’t do the same for other people.

It does: discount burn, draw burn for zero or -1/2 mana, throw burn at face.

True, but that deck incorporates enough discovery/RNG to give opponents of it a scapegoat lol.

If they buff hero power and nerf spell mage, I predict a hero power/spell dmg hybrid to take the front position of the pack, which relies on virtually no RNG.