Will Mobalytics overlay get you banned?

Sure it’s use at your own risk, but same with overwolf or discord overlays.

A bit over the top fear mongering because of thud(which is a different league of it’ own)

If you gotta ask, the answer is probably yes.

4 Likes

Parts of Mobalytics hook into the game’s API. This is one you do not want to touch with a ten mile pole. And it doesn’t matter whether or not you use the features that hook into the game or just the mundane info parts of the overlay - if Warden scans that app as active while playing, you can be actioned. Just ask people that have had AutoHotKey running while a Blizzard game is being played, even if they didn’t use AHK while they played, it was detected and actions taken were not/would not be reversed in those scenarios.

Warning players that the detection of what is considered a form of cheat software by multiple developers can result in account actions even if those cheat features aren’t in use isn’t fearmongering. It’s arming the player with the info they need to make a decision as to whether or not to risk it. Basic overlays like Steam and Discord can’t hook into a game’s API. Mobalytics can. It’s the “can” part that matters, as that is what Blizzard goes by when actioning detections by Warden. Note that just because they may have an “interactive” overlay doesn’t mean that feature is the cheat - it may well just pull data from a website API. But the core software is what will be considered when detected, not necessarily the features enabled by the user.

Keep in mind that bans don’t happen right away when the detection occurs. It can happen weeks or even months later after more data is collected, and to prevent software developers from catching on to which part of their software is triggering the anti-cheat mechanisms of each respective developer.

As with any such software, it boils down to “use at your own risk”. The general rule of thumb of “if you have to ask, it’s probably best to avoid it” is the safest bet. But in the end, the choice must be made by the end user, not us. All we can do is provide information with which to make a decision from.

6 Likes

No, i don’t think so people ask about overwolf and discord overlays also. So, not really.

https://mobalytics.gg/lol/glp/diablo-4-download

see FAQ.

Probably not unless it becomes a cheating tool or gets put on the no-play list

For those of you who want something more definitive:

Sketchy player base dude.

Option to cheat is probably there, you want to put your hand up in the air for everyone and say nobody will abuse that option?

I wouldn’t.

2 Likes

WoW has a system to support Addons, 100% not the same thing.

5 Likes

Option to cheat with what? Mobalytics app?

Thud - yes, but mobalytics is a pretty big website - equivalent to the major fan sites icyveins / d4builds / maxroll / etc. I seriously doubt that they would put their player base at risk of massive bans.

Mobalytics arent same context with AutoHotKey. When its not running. Warden doesnt have the rights to scan your memory for active software(s). It is illegal. AHK can hardware macro detections are based from in game activities. Even if you set a repeater in town to prevent dropping out from idle time, the action can be bannable, just unlikely since back end info states you are in town.

Thud and other more intrusive cheating taps into API way invasive than mobalytics. We dont know if there’s a white or grey list on warden. Its unlikely a build guide overlay, no matter how it behaves relating to API been bannable based on principle of ToS. There are individual scenarios which are inevitable in any circumstances.

Players were banned from music overlays in D3’s history, sure battle music buffs a player’s performances in terms of unfair advantage.

1 Like

Yes, it does. That’s how anti-cheat works, and you agree to such in the EULA:

3 Likes

It CAN NOT scan memory out side the scope of Blizzard games running. We wont discuss too much regarding Blizzard bugged ToS in legality terms. Way too much time spent back in D3 era.

The question shouldn’t be if mobalytics is safe.

The question should be: Is Blizzard going to accidently ban you?

Do you want to take a chance with Blizzard’s track record? If they ‘accidently’ banned you, would you be able to get your account back without massive headache?

At your own risk IMHO is with Blizzard, more so than Mobalytics.

We often assume Blizzard won’t make a mistake, but mistakes have been made, their staff needs to be retrained on a regular basis on these things, and quite frankly - I’m not too sure they have lived up to expected standards over the last year, since we had so many inappropriate bans that were reversed.

4 Likes

Oh yes it can.

3 Likes

What is mobalytics and why would someone need it? Just being lazy and don’t want to google; and better to just ask those in this thread.

I think the spirit of the rules relative to this program should be safe. The problem is the way that blizzard enforces these rules has never been fully transparent for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I get your points and sure “technically” anything can get you banned, the question is where do you dial it in. THUD - I get. Discord overlay / Overwolf / Mobalytics - I don’t.

There are even some posts in D3 where some shader mods to make the game look more “dark” got hit with bans.

Common sense used to rule the roost in life, but clearly - not common enough here.

ReShade hooks into the framebuffer in order to change textures’ appearance, opacity, etc. There are places where that could give a huge advantage vs. vanilla shaders. That’s why the bans happened. Single player games and games with noncompetitive multiplayer generally don’t action ReShade, or at the very least don’t make a fuss about it. Any game with a competitive element is going to ban such modifications. The morale of the story here is that if the game has competitive elements, you want to avoid any third party software that has hooks for the game’s internal API. For Blizzard games, that goes without saying, though a lot of people get in a huff over it because they didn’t bother to read the ToU/EULA before clicking Accept.

TheTias, yeah I get it, I don’t agree with it and I think its dumb as probably a lot of people here, but it’s blizzard - which is my point.

It’s blizzard

not mobalytics.

You also know what I feel about the so-called competitive environment.

And yes, I am sour about it because I saw the whole end game community cheat and nothing sigificant happen for years. Even members of Viz (i won’t say who) started botting and thudding - and you know Viz was completely anti cheat. I think even Viz administratively - started looking the other way on the THUD piece.

This turned me into almost a pure solo eternal player. I even lied that I had THUD just to get into groups only to be never invited later as they saw I didn’t have THUD lol.

I remember reading something about a player with visual disability asking for bigger mouse overlay - which also generated a potential ban because of the unfair advantage of having a pointer you could actually see in all of the crazy graphics / floor effects / etc.

“Unfortunately, it’s against the TOS, you will just have to play impaired”

That’s partly why we have a large cursor option and color options. What we really need though is a way to disable the change from cursor to sword when holding shift to force stand still. That tiny thin sword, even enlarged and colorized, gets lost in the visual diarrhea way too easily, moreso if you are one of the many players with visual impairments such as myself. We could also use a way to de-emphasize others’ skills and spells so we can see the bad on the ground. Or just the bads period.

1 Like

I dont use it as I am not sure whether it has trojan inside as like other freeware. So I opt to enter the paragon points manually. It is better safe than sorry.