VRAM leak over time?

Yeah, just had this happen to me. It should not be happening with 16gb ram. lol And I am well above the recommended requirements. I haven’t had any problems until today.

1 Like

Having the same issue. It’s maxing out my VRAM on medium settings and using a alot of system memory (RAM)

Asus 3070 which seems to be running normal except VRAM maxed 8gb
64gb of ram but 20gb is taken up by diablo
13700kf is running normal and cool.

Having the exact same setup I’m experiencing random stuttering all over the place while encountering a larger pack of mobs, opening and closing world map or inventory, and nothing helps on that…

Issue still persists. After an hour of playing the game uses 22GB of RAM and over 15GB of VRAM. What a Joke.

1 Like

Found this topic with a Google search. Confirming I have the same issue.
6900XT - 16gb vram
5800X3D
32Gb system memory, dual rank dual channel
Game running from a PCIe Gen 4x4 M.2 SSD

On ultra textures the game has unplayable frame lags and hitches. Turned on FSR and it improves drastically. Which made me think of a VRAM issue.

Radeon OSD confirms that on Ultra the game is maxing out Vram immedately. On High it sits at ~14Gb, and every time I change a zone, TP back to town, or even exit to the main screen, about ~200mb is added on. It does this continually until the vram is maxed and the hitching occurs.

Need a game and driver fix pls

5 Likes

6650XT 5700X, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD. Since launch I’ve easily been able to reach 120fps 1440p high/ultra settings, but after anywhere between 15mins and an hour of play I drop down to 10-20fps and restarting is the only way to fix it.

Pretty ridiculous issue to launch the game with, wish I just got it on PS5 instead now.

1 Like

After 2 hours of playing, diablo takes over 10 GB of RAM and whole 12GB of VRAM of my 6700XT card.

Latest driver 23.5.2

This really needs some attention to be priority for fix.

1 Like

The big part of the trouble is this. Blizzard does something sneaky and installs the high res texture pack by default.
Open up BattleNet, click on the Diablo 4 tab, next select the spoke next to the play button, and select modify installation. Choose the top option, Modify Install, then uncheck the high res textures, and click confirm. This will uninstall the high res assets which get installed by default, and shouldn’t have been. Other people have reported this gets rid of this problem.
This high res texture pack, is something Blizzard should have delayed until a later date, rather than shove it out the door at launch and cause a lot of problems for people.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t call this a leak so much as the VRAM not clearing out uneeded cached files.

In other words, you are going to be seeing increase in your VRAM as you play anyway. But the game should be purging those files it doesn’t need as you move through the world in order to keep the game running smoothly.

I would be more inclined to think that the actual problem may revolve around the game’s use of cache taking too long to flush out instanced material not in use, and instead waiting till you hit a wall (the limit) before finally doing so, and causing the issues.

And I can see this being exacerbated by high res settings and textures as they will eat up your cache even faster.

But that’s me.

1 Like

i am using a 6600xt, setting on high by default and without using the texture pack in high resolution, it uses all the 8gb of vram of my gpu, if i change the graphics to medium it goes down to half, and if i turn it back up to high it keeps the usage at 50% but gradually starts to go up until it reaches the maximum, i think the game definitely has a problem with the vram management.

2 Likes

I wish my system would just start stuttering. I don’t know what to call this but my system will suddenly hitch and continue to do this once every second until I close the game and log out. I don’t even need to reboot. I have a 4080 and was thinking it had something to do with power draw so opened HWinfo while playing to monitor everything. After playing the end area of Act 1, I was at 93% VRAM utilization. The fix for now does seem to be switching something like the texture quality down a peg, apply, then put it back to where you want it.

Also having this issue.

After tonight’s hotfix I was able to play for nearly 6 hours without this issue coming up a single time, let alone any FPS drops/slowdowns that would appear beforehand to herald the coming VRAM lock-up. Going to do more testing tomorrow, but I think this might be fixed now.

1 Like

Ultra textures causes massive stuttering on my 10GB 3080, and high textures are quite muddy, which isn’t ideal either. I notice the VRAM going up and up and up until I start to stutter. Restarting the game starts the process over and again.

On my laptop with geforce 1050 i can sometimes play for hours without problem at low graphics. Most time it crashes after 3 teleports and i get bluescreen. On my stationaty with 1660 card only the game crashes

not for me sadly, same issue as before, performance loss over time, stuttering after a while etc. doesnt matter on what graphic settings

Confirming for me at least the problem seems semi fixed.
I’ve played for about 5 hours now and haven’t experienced the slowdown to crash.
There’s still some hiccups and stutter, but it stabalises now and remains at capped FPS most of the time, as it should.

A lot better, but not perfect.

ive been playing fine on server slam and the first two version of the game on launch, recently ive been crashing constantly after sometimes, especially if i alt tab or something. it really seems like there’s memory leak and my pc just locks up after some time has pass in the game after crashing.

Same issue here. I put everything to the lowest setting to test this.
My VRAM usage drops to 4.8GB, then over the course of ~30 minutes it will slowly climb back up to my card’s limit.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 5600X
GTX 1070
32GB RAM

Same thing happens here. After 3-4-5 hours, the FPS will start to drop intermittently every few minutes. It will go from 200 down to 20-30 and shoot back up to 190… So weird. Having to restart the game to fix this nonsense. Settings dont change jack nor influence this issue.