Uninstall Beta or

So you’re waiting for sigma now?

i wish blizz would say if we should uninstall it or not.

i mean, it took me 19 hours to DL it on my crappy 1mbs connection.

The comment about possibly being able to reuse some of it might be right. If you don’t have a particularly fast computer you could try holding onto it in the off chance it saves you a little time later.

It would be great if we got an official answer but, I have a feeling that they aren’t going to respond to 99% of the stuff on these forums so as to not get even more post.

Yes I’m absolutely aware of that being a tech support MVP.

The CASC file format has the capability to mark certain data for certain versions of the game. TACT the thing it uses to download patch data has the power of looking at already downloaded data , sense what else it needs then downloading the remaining data.

I will admit though I may of been a bit bombastic on it seeking out beta and PTR versions installed however. I know it does this for World of Warcraft but that may only be due to the shared data folder all Wow clients share these days.

However it would be logical for it to do this - there’s people playing D4 on shaking , slow connections or ones with bandwidth caps or limits on how much they can download before they get rate limited. It seeking out previously installed data would be a great help there.

In any which case even in the off chance they decide not to do this then a simple trick that’s worked for years should work - start the download , quit the battle.net client , replace the downloaded Data folder with a backup from then start battle.net up again. It’ll sense what data it can salvage then download the rest.

1 Like

You will very rarely get a confirmation to delete Beta installs from Blizzard.

• If you backup nothing else at least backup the Data folder from the Beta.
  • Then once D4 goes live start the download.
  • Let it go up to the downloading stage.
  • If it’s going to sense your old Beta folder this is the stage you’ll know - it assembles a list of files to download during the patch manifest stage just before it starts downloading
  • If however it doesn’t pause the download and quit the battle.net client
  • Wait 10 minutes till your sure Agent.exe has quit
  • Copy the Data folder from your D4 beta backup over the one it downloaded a bit of
  • Start battle.net client back up
  • It’ll sense what data is there , if it’s usable then compute another patch manifest
  • It’ll then download what else it needs based off that patch manifest
  • At the end it’ll do a reclaiming disk space stage. Don’t worry about that it’s just putting things in order and getting rid of data it can’t use (reducing disk space)
3 Likes

i just reload it in 5 minutes if there will be another beta phase.

Thanks for the details

I’d just leave it installed for release unless you’re hurting for space. I have little doubt it will just patch the existing beta client.

As I posted on Beta client migration to release version? - Technical Support - Diablo IV Forums (blizzard.com)

With the new “Server Slam ” (see Help Us Gear Up for Launch During the Diablo IV Server Slam — Diablo IV — Blizzard News for more info), it appears the already downloaded files will be reused (however downloading a new patch will be required), which probably makes a greater chance that beta files may server as base for final release…

I greatly encourage every player that already bought the game or that consider doing so later this year, and that already downloaded the beta client to avoid deleting the beta files (unless if Blizzard announces that final release will NOT reuse the already downloaded assets).
Think of the bandwidth/carbon footprint saved! Thanks.

Not sure why Beta use so much space. I wonder if it’s the full game just being locked? But will uninstall before I install the new beta.

If you still have the beta client, don’t unistall it just to download it from scratch, it would be such a waste :frowning:

They stated (Help Us Gear Up for Launch During the Diablo IV Server Slam — Diablo IV — Blizzard News ):

For those that still have the Diablo IV Open Beta downloaded:

• Once the Early Download period begins, an update will be available for you to download. After Server Slam starts, you can begin your journey into Sanctuary.

Patch will be available starting on May 10.

I kept it around out of illogical paranoia that I needed it installed still to get the items in release version.

But good to hear that it’ll speed up the download/install times for server slam and release.

Just in case you’re talking about in-game items from previous beta, they won’t be available anymore, nor those for the future beta for the final release.

However, unlocked achievements will be available in release (bound to your Battle.net account, which is only server-side data).

Beta files assets (around 40-80 GB depending on low-res or highest-res) are however reused between each the betas, and it would be unwise to delete them/download them from scratch. Given the great number of beta players, we can globally save so many thousands of terabytes by keeping the beta files on our SDD (or at least move them to an HDD) until final release is available! In this very case, we call all make great energy savings with absolutely no effort at all!

I’m afraid you do have to uninstall the previous version as I did last month when I got the email for Server Slam. when I read what was to be done and our characters are not to be carried over so it means a new progress and new interface to be tested. When i uninstalled it i saw a in small words under the Install box “updating game client” and it kept spinning for about 30 minutes back then. By now the updates should be in. Anyways, here is the source.

For those who played during our Early Access and Open Beta weekends, these details may seem familiar—however, there are a few nuances we’re ushering in with Server Slam.

• Any character progress made during the Early Access and Open Beta weekends will not carry over to Server Slam. Additionally, any character progress made during Server Slam will not carry over to launch.
  • Players may level up their characters to Level 20, after which you will cease to gain Ability Points, but can continue to slay demons and earn alluring gear.
  • The Legendary Item drop rate has been altered to reflect the drop rate that will be present in the launch version of Diablo IV.
  • The version of Diablo IV available during Server Slam will include all the bug fixes and updates detailed in our Open Beta Retrospective blog.

You don’t have to delete the old beta to take part in the server slam. Toward the bottom of that post:
"For those that still have the Diablo IV Open Beta downloaded:

• Once the Early Download period begins, an update will be available for you to download. After Server Slam starts, you can begin your journey into Sanctuary."

i have crappy low tier cable at 1 mbs so dling this near 100 gig d4 client is a nightmare for me so i really hope i can use the beta client for launch. if i go to the next tier, it will cost 110 bucks a month for 3 mbs which is absurbly expensive (and still slow): third world countries have faster and cheaper internet than i do ugh. i miss the days of CD installs sigh.

D4 would require something like 100 CDs… :stuck_out_tongue:

still better than a 21 hour dl. damn isp mafias.

When testing games it is best to delete old betas to have clean installs as they come in. But it is up to you to keep bugs. that is why they give that choice of agreement.

You can assume he said CD as a generic term, thinking of DVDs instead (or even maybe Blu-ray).

Anyway, it’s very likely beta/server slam version will be upgradable to final release (patched), there should be no need to install it from scratch, given most audio/video/texture assets won’t change a lot compared to beta client.