This game has almost melted my GPU twice!

Don’t remember, I just don’t like vsync, it tends to make things worse in my experience and I never see tearing.

From what I’ve heard it’s a problem with an unlimited framerate again.

Lies, they aren’t the latest!

“fps number goes up why is my graphics card heating up hurr durr”

They did just roll out a d4 game ready driver last night.

1 Like

Blizz also did something on their end:

One additional client patch before beta will be addressing the issue below.

• In-engine cinematics are now properly capped on framerate.

did they specify what they capped cinematics at? i dont wanna end up with 30 fps cinematics lol. hope its at least 60

would be weird playing at 140+ and then it drops to 30 out of nowhere for an in-engine cinematic heh. guess ill see soon enough.

*also i dont think it had anything to do with capping framerate :wink: but if they wanna act like it did sure go for it.

my d3 runs wild at 450+ fps 1440p (often 12+ hours sessions) with the coils happily whining along. no issues lol.

This is happening to me even just in the character creation… I capped my fps at 60, i’m assuming that it doesn’t immediately change the creation settings… my fan was running so extremely high that it scared me and i just closed the game.

After hearing its been bricking cards, i’m not going to even touch this crap

Games can’t brick cards, it’s a problem with these particular cards themselves

yo don’t know if people are still having the insane gpu load while playing this game but i turned off Dynamic Shadows and Soft Shadows options (everything else maxed) and my gpu load went from 90+ to 74+ on a 3080

going to the main city load spikes to 90 but drops down instantly when leaving.

Campfire character select screen caused my GPU temp alone to spike from ~45 deg to almost 80 deg. Something there is ridiculously graphics intensive.

Yeah, but there is no reason for it to. Cap your FPS. Just because you can turn 200+ FPS and in most cases don’t have a monitor capable of displaying it, doesn’t mean you need to. You are basically using more power than you need, creating more heat than you need, and working the card harder than you have to.

There is NO gain running your system that way. NONE.

Even in an FPS game, you don’t have to have crazy FPS numbers. You can have it run a bit above the monitor’s limit to help lower input lag, but anything more than 5-15% is not going to make any more difference.

Its like running your car down the road with the engine near redline while still in 1st, just to go 35MPH.

*facepalm

1 Like

i would normally. d3 isnt smooth enough for me in any other config. i get hiccups or tiny micro stutters with any cap/vsync in that game

letting it go wild gives me the best fluidity in that title.

all i was pointing out is that uncapped fps doesnt melt your card. if the ppl want to go with that fine but im not following :wink:

Then you need to switch screen modes. Either use Full screen exclusively, or actually swap to Full screen Windowed.

Some machines are smooth one way, and others are smoother the other way.

I run mine capped to 60FPS (on a 144FPS capable G Sync monitor) and its smooth as glass. No micro stutter at all. And that with Full screen Windowed mode. And max quality settings!

Barely runs the card any warmer than when sitting idle at the desktop with that setting.

This.
Human eye cannot clearly difference 60fps from 144fps. Let alone a monitor can show 450fps.
What’s wrong with gamers this days? Chasing fps like if they were measuring certain parts of their bodies… vsync is your friend. Why would you want to render more frames than what your monitor can show?
It’s absurd.
Also, if your GPU fries, it’s not because of the game, it’s your setup that doesn’t have enough cooling, or good cooling. (water cooling sometimes is not better than good air cooling. It just looks fancier).
I run d4 at ~144fps, 50°GPU 50° CPU, on a custom fan setting, both for CPU, CPU Case and GPU. (MSI RTX 3070 ventus x3, I7 11700KF, Full tower case, 2 silent wings 3 exhaust and 2 other nice ball bearing intake ones (near 0 noise) MSI X590 Gaming Pro motherboard and a few nice NVME ~4000MB/s, which are a bit old now.)
If you’re on a laptop, undervolting and a cooler base is the only way to go if you want to go under 80°.
Definitely, definitely, turn vsync on guys…

Undervolting is not possible with most laptops though. Mine certainly doesn’t support it.

But lowering the FPS helps a ton, along with a cooler pad.

I had my MSI GE Apache Pro old gaming laptop. I was able to make it run at 99% CPU and GPU at constant 75°. Depending on your CPU, you can undervolt with specific tools, and mantain both stability and performance. (ThrottleStop and MSI afterburner for a good custom fan curve)

Yeah, I keep forgetting about Afterburner.

Leaving your PC/Laptop cooling settings at default, is like saying ‘please vendors, make my hardware run hot, so they can melt quicker and I run to buy new ones’.
It takes some time to get to know the tools and the knowledge to do it properly, but it pays out.

buy a custom loop 4090 45c