Starting Diablo 4 freezes my whole PC

I pre-installed the game, updated the Nvidia drivers (3080) and as soon as I click “Play now” the whole system freezes and I have to hard reboot. I cannot even start the task manager.

All other games on my system work without any problems, it’s only in Battle.net.

I already tried reinstalling Battle.net, repairing the Diablo 4 installation, uninstalling the GPU drivers and reinstalling…nothing works.

I had this happen on my 3080 ti as well as my 1650 and I get 3 loud beeps when it unfroze and on the 1650 when I restarted

I did not get any beeps but I also did not get any unfreeze. I always have to hard reboot and then the system works fine again. So frustrating.

I had to reboot laptop but the 3080 ti machine it froze everything for a minute and finally unfroze no hard reset on that one.

I also have the same issue. Asus Dual 3060. Windows 10. OS and drivers up to date. It “freezes” my PC when I click the Play button on Battle.net. I can still move the cursor, even Start menu shows when I click on it, but the OS shutdown and restart do not work and I have to use the hardware button.

And this is not new for me, I got the same issue on Heroes of the Storm starting from last week. It started to freeze my PC after starting the game and showing the logo screen. Played it normally for half year before.

I already wrote about this in HoTS topic:

The cause is probably the same.

My Asus laptop Ryzen 9 5900hx with 3070 gpu freeze and hangs too, I see that my cpu temp is getting too high, i have to press windows key or go to other windows just to lower the CPU temp. My windows and GPU drivers are up to date, and I have no other problem playing AAA games like Cyberpunk. I have a better gaming experience on my PS4 pro than in my laptop (load times are slower thou). I think this game is optimized for the console than a PC.

Same, runs for a few minutes and then gets laggy, then freezes, then a speaker beep noise or two, then I need to hard reboot. I’m on Windows 11 22H2 with 7900 XTX using 23.3.2 driver. Oddly last weekend the game worked fine (though I played at quieter server times it seems, no queing).

Already using “Windowed Fullscreen” mode. The only other varible I can think of is I upgraded my gaphics driver to 23.3.2 since last weekend (was on 23.3.1). will try downgrading

install the new nvidia driver, use lagofast

Figured it out.
My problem was Bitdefender, so if you have the same problem and also have Bitdefender installed, open it, go to “Protection”, “Advanced Thread Defense”, “Settings” and disable “Exploit Detection”.

Source: Game doesnt even start and freezes PC - #3 by Jordan-15651 - PC Technical Support - Diablo IV Forums

1 Like

I just uninstalled Bitdefender and it fixed my problem too. Heroes of the Storm now work too.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.