SSD vs HDD question

From the console vs pc thread, that got me wondering. Diablo 4 has an Xbox One variant, which does not have an SSD. In fact, it has a ridiculously slow hard drive.

1 Like

You can get a cream of the crop NVME for like $120. They’re insanely cheap now days.

However, all that heat has to go somewhere … so if your case isn’t up to umping it out into the room it’s in, everything ELSE starts to heat up.

CPUs and GPUs generally don’t like running especially hot (hence why both of them tend to have especially-beefy cooling systems attached to them).

I didn’t know HDD still exist… :open_mouth:

1 Like

HDD or SSD.
The speed difference is enormous IMO.
I will never go back to HDD.

Couldn’t tell you how the game runs on HDD but overall everything runs faster on SSD.

Even a PS5 has a gen4 SSD.

More and more developers, and especially those making big cross-platform open-world games that have little to no loading times are just going to assume you have at least a gen4 SSD. The lowest common denominator is usually console. As others have mentioned using a slow HDD or a bad SSD with these kinds of games can give you weird stutters, and obvious immersion breaking when textures take too long to load or randomly pop in.