S4 Trading - barter or currency?

With open trade coming best builds will come via 3rd party websites just like D2

1 Like

Donate them to me instead.

Making a thorns necro isn’t gonna be easy.

1 Like

You won’t be able to trade Ubers

1 Like

Gold is going to have a high value in S4 and even Eternal from now on I’d expect. Highest levels of master working are not going to be cheap. I’ll be hording every bit of gold I get, and might actually target farm it for the first time ever.

So I will be trading for gold. Give me all your shekels.

An AH won’t work unless Blizzard nerfs drop rates. Other wise the value of items will be minimal. If they were to nerf drop rates then the back lash would be great and price gouging
would be rampant. This is a game with some time and effort most of all items can be had.
I see no reason why Blizzard should change the game to cater to the lazy and allowing profiterring from their IP by third party entities. I have heard every excuss under the sun, And none of it is really valid. Just play the game and enjoy.

1 Like

Drop rates in S4 have already been nerfed.

AH is already in the game its just massively slow and cumbersome by using third party sites. So many items are tradable now that this is no longer acceptable. AH needs to come back reasons → The Case in Favor of a S4 Auction House 🏠

AH would ruin the game unless they did it in a way like LE does, where you need to commit to trading as an upgrade path and the alternative is to gain higher drop chances. Otherwise, efficient trading ruins the drop curve by making it far more efficient to just farm gold and built gear with it than to actually find good drops yourself.

Trading is very easy to fix. Rather blizzard decided to implement it is a different question lol…

For example; implement a trading post (auction house) whatever you want to call it and allow people to list items for sell via bin or auction style.

Players can search for items they want by affix and ranges.

All listings are anonymous meaning you cannot target items from a specific seller (to prevent Real money transactions)

Disable the ability to trade directly between players which include gold and items with few exceptions;

1. If you were in a party with the person that found the item it can be traded among those in the party.
  2. Clan members can trade with other clan members ONLY if the item was found while in the clan and the person receiving the item was in the clan at the time it was found. (again prevents RMT) and gives clan’s significant value and social building incentive. This approach can be further locked this down if needed by requiring 72 hour clan membership prior to clan trading being enabled. I recall reading about another game that took this approach.

None the less this approach would prevent RMT transactions and give players the ability to trade freely while maintaining the value of in game gold by preventing RMT inflation.

But it would still ruin the item chase by making gold the primary way to acquire items, just as the D3 auction house did.

The system you suggest could work if it was a physical location within the game, where you can go to post your “for trade” notices and browse what others have posted while you were there, but only if they are online and in your current instance. Prioritize filling an instance with others at the physical trading post, and create a refresh mechanism that jumps instances when not in a trade (rather than having to porting out / in).

This would have a lot of the convenience of the auction house (easy browsing and trade initiation), still allow locking down trades (can only trade with someone who posted a notice in your instance and is still online), and also keep your item curve from being completely flattened by having access to the second-best drops of millions of players.

Adding an AH will trivialize the loot hunt albeit make rmt less bad for whoever cares about that.

*Yes i tend to agree with you @Zolation-1897. What is there on a Chinese farmed weapons or armor that separate’s a dupe from actual tradeable items ? *
Please enlighten me. Is there a difference in you trading with me that says your item being sold to me is a legal sale opposed to the Chinese farmer selling you something that is difficult to find for a high out of market price cause your using RMT …I dunno . How does Blizzard know the difference from actuals they don’t see the transactions its all done on another website ? its hard to explain sorry guys …

Boss mats and triple greater affix items with value in ratios based on popularity of the class.

They did increase the gold cap keep that in mind. However, I feel it might just be a combination of the things really and not in the order below. Depends on trader and what they are in need or want.

1. Gold
  2. Boss Mats
  3. Other GA items

Does that really matter? People use third party trading websites regardless. People want a means of trading and they will do what they need to do to trade.

I’m personally tired of using Discord for grouping and trade websites to make trades. It ultimately takes me completely out of the game and focuses my attention elsewhere.

Trading should not be used to manipulate the market, that is what balance is for. Too much gold? make a gold sink. Too many items? reduce item drop rate.

Yes it matters. Having to go to a 3rd party site with all the extra hassle and risk it entails means that most people are not participating in that part of the economy. It’s possible that mechanism becomes the best way to compete if you want to compete, but it doesn’t impact the experience of anyone who doesn’t want the hassle and doesn’t want to compete.

This is also basically true of the high-friction in-game version I suggested. It might still be more efficient to farm up gold and go buy items from the trading post, but at least it costs you some in-game time to hunt up the item you want by browsing different instances. This cost means that people can more easily ignore it and feel good about their play. Maybe they go there now and then when they find a great item or when they really need something to compete their build, but they don’t just find every possible upgrade sitting there waiting for them the first time they open the interface.

Of course, professional traders still might make this too easy, so the current system is maybe the best bet. Just allow people to join or block a trade channel and figure it out themselves from there. If they want to use 3rd party sites, fine. Blizz could easily crack down on 3rd party RMT by just having some staff members seek out these sites, identify seller accounts, and ban them. Broadly speaking, I think they use this as a revenue source because it’s less disruptive than the RMAH was: they tax the professional RMT users by periodically forcing them to buy a new copy.

This they should absolutely fix in-game.

Efficient trading completely overwhelms drop rates. It is impossible to balance with gold sinks and drop rates alone, unless the drop rates are explicitly tied to not trading.

Such a ridiculous argument against an in-game trading solution. Forcing people to trade outside of game decreases the overall time a person spends in the game and obviously incentivizes RMT transactions when you see advertisements on trading websites to other websites selling Gold for $$$ or boss mats for $$$.

Anyone who competes at a serious level with the current game design is going to trade outside of game anyways. Why force them to trade outside of the game?

There a methods that blizz can implement that can easily prevent RMT transactions within the game and ensure a smooth gaming experience and maintain market values.

By eliminating gold transfers directly between players it will force players to gold farm themselves by finding it or selling items or complete rewards. This aspect can be carefully controlled by developers which directly control the market.

The market will obviously balance its self out as a free markets always do. The best gear in the market will always demand a higher price. Getting rid of gold RMT’s will obviously change the market in a significant way.

At the end of the day no one is forcing you to trade.

I will do my best to ignore trade as before.
If I’ll trade, I’ll get the bestest gear my 1 gold can afford.

Unrestricted trading about as bad as no trading. Rarely would i suggest taking anything from d3 but trading should of been.
No reason to group in D4 and trading would be at least 1 incentive. So now every single legit player is going to have to ignore that there are noobs running around in better gear. Because ANY trading in a game like d2 is cheating.

D2jsp is the way to go imo. But only using it to trade ethically. Never using more FG then you gained in a season.

Blizzard should really make their own version of this because it’s lossless trading. Trading item for item, one party is losing some degree of value in the overwhelming majority of cases.

Because making an in-game AH would ruin the game for everyone else.

RMT isn’t my concern.

Yes. It will force everyone to farm gold. Farming gold or trading for it will be the primary way to get new gear.

They only control the ratio of gold to items. There is nothing they can do about the fact that there will be far better items on the AH than you can find for yourself. It’s just math.

Let’s say that I’m searching for an upgrade that’s a 1/1000 drop. So I need to fill my 33-item inventory about 30 times to find it, on average. The developers can set the typical
amount of gold I would get per inventory. If they set it to 1M, then I will get 30M gold while farming this item. If they set it to 100k, I will get 3M.

If I get some other item instead, I will try to sell it. But it is not worth as much to me as the item I want. So if the item I want is worth farming 30+ inventories for, I’m going to charge way less for the items I don’t want, because their value to me is 0. Maybe there’s a min value I’d assign that makes it worth the hassle.

So when I go on the AH, my 30-run item is selling for 10 or 15 runs worth of gold. Or less. Because someone found it but didn’t need it and they had no reason to hold out for more value.

By adding a convenient AH, you are giving me two options: completely abstain from trade and never open the AH or use the AH and therefore the game is only about farming gold.