Ray Tracing is very poorly implemented

Tried RT with max settings last night for a little bit, but ended up turning it off. Not seeing the benefit of it in a game like this, where you’re constantly moving, fighting mobs, or traveling from one place to another. It’s about the action, not about admiring the “accuracy” of shadows and reflections in water.

Now, if D4 was a single-player, story-driven RPG with photo mode, I can definitely see the benefit of RT where you can pause the game and take some great screenshots like a lot of virtual photographers do in popular games like CP2077 Metro Exodus and Control, myself included.

Btw, I’m running Diablo 4 in 4K with a 7950X3D and 4090, so achieving adequate fps isn’t really a big deal with or without RT.

2 Likes

The skill effects do look a lot nicer and reflections on reflective surfaces.
And it is easier to read the word “Vulnerable” everywhere. :hamster: :popcorn:
But yeah if it is impacting performance to the point where it is noticeable then not worth it.

even with a 4090 i cant get the game to run smooth with everything at ultra, ray tracing just hammers the fps to much, without ray tracing get solid 120fps, with it on 50-60 fps .
the micro stutter really isnt worth th extra bit of eye candy
edit Update so after polaying with many different combinations and nvidia control panel settings, found that just turning off ray tracing particles and both shadows and reflections on to low will maintain 120fps in 4k ultra.
Still not what i expected, but at least their is some nice extra effects.

ray tracing particles where the main culprit - (im Ball of Lightening sorc) which could also be a contributing factor.

3 Likes

Optimized ray tracing will be announced for season 5. Or the expansion.

3 Likes

PS5 not able to play after enabled

What makes you think that? Didn’t the devs had enough time implementing it??

Yes, but this optimization will be paywalled for the xpac.

Running I9-10850k with 32gb ram, EVGA 3090 FTW3 24gb memory. Ran quite well before the RT patch and now the game is VERY laggy. No RT features enabled.

Might not help with this issue but if the game has conflicting settings running in the background

5900x and 3090ti at 1080p window with ray tracing, I drop to around 40s in some places with a lot going on, Whats weird is if I go 3440x1440 the lows are pretty much the same as if I was at 1080p, but highs are of course lower with more pixels, so CPU bottleneck with RT on, I can also enabled the performance mode for DLSS and lows do not change much if at all.

Turning RT off, fps at 1080p is well into the 300s. It such a big hit to performance and I personally don’t think they can optimize it too much more, RT in itself is poorly optimized in a way if you ask me, every game I play that has the option ends up being CPU bottlenecked, some worse that others like Forza Motorsport, wonder if that has anything to do with Nvidia’s driver overhead, who knows.

I do like RT in this game though, makes shadows and some skills look much better.

1 Like

I’ve mentioned this before, also in the WoW forums, the RT implementations by Blizz are very hard on the CPU.
Also the frametimes are much worse with RT on, even with high FPS.

It’s kinda funny that pathtracing in CP and AW2 have less CPU overhead.

Shadows yes, depending on where you are, but which skills look better?
I have tried some spells with my wiz, fire, ice etc. and can’t see a difference at all with RT particles on/off.

I don’t know why but ray tracing doesn’t excite me at all….i get it but it does nothing to gameplay

i get 50-60fps with rtx 3080ti at 1440p

since when does gameplay have anything to do with graphics? why do people have such expectations?

Druid Pulverize when you have the tectonic aspect looks awesome with RT vs with RT off. I am guessing it has to do with the shadows on ground effect.

Here is a Sorc Vid, see for yourself.
What I noticed here is not so much Sorc’s own skill effects, they look about he same, Blizzard’s reflection is a little better. But if you look at the burning enemies RT on seems to have better detail.
https://youtu.be/Vs4BFqLqQAQ

I made a longer video with all the characters I currently have, but just edited Sorc to see if it had any value for anyone who wanted to see it. I can edit the other ones similarly if you would like.

It is downscaled from 4k to 1080p so hopefully it doesn’t lose too much. But I think you can still see it.

When you play the game at speed I don’t know that it matters, but again I like visuals but not at the cost of normal performance.

Honestly can’t tell the difference :smiley:
I really wonder if the particle setting does anything at all…
Well at least we will get some updated spell animations with S4, confirmed.

I’m not playing atm, no point. Waiting for S4.
But then i most likely will only use RT shadows.
The reflections look really bad with that super low resolution, it’s ridiculous.
I mean in general the reflections are very weak for a game with a fixed camera angle.

1 Like