Pc temps sky rocket on a new origin pc for only diablo 4

Running a ryzen 9 7900X3D and 96GB ddr5 with a 4090 full loop fresh build from origin pc, the cpu temps skyrocket to 70-80 with my coolers running extreme settings, shouldnt be doing this. This game is the only one that causes this. I play max settings on a lot of games for the quality. Fortnite, phasmaphobia, even a unoptomized fear therapy and still dont have this problem. FIX IT or me and my woman are just gonna ask for a refund. level 20 since season started cause we cant play long without temps increase.

1 Like

Auto overclocking the CPU is focused on your temperature and overclocks it to the temperature limit, no matter what kind of cooling you have. Auto overclocking does not work properly. Set up your hardware so that you are comfortable.

Another games that kills hardware.

GPU Temps skyrocket the moment game starts

Hi, Even before the game starts so while in the menu and in char creator the GPU temp goes to 89.1C hot spot 71 C GPU on HWMonitor. I had this issue before on a Larian game with Divinity 2 and the solution there was to deactivate in windows settings some stuff like V Sync etc - cannot find the page anymore to recreate it 1:1 and check if it works though my tries to fix it failed for now to lower the usage. I have a new PC - RTX 4070 with a R7 7800X3D cooled by a Dark rock 4 Pro in a case with good airflow so its not that its on the hardware… other games like Witcher 3 / Farcry 6 / Jedi Survivor all go on ultra/uber whatever the highest setting is without this spike so I think this is something related to the programming of the client…

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/3/3808408158827026934/

Auto overclocking raises the frequency for stable operation at this frequency, it raises voltages, this leads to higher temperatures and your auto overclock is oriented on this temperature. Just set the maximum frequency limit to the spec or lower by a hundred or so megahertz, you won’t notice a significant drop in performance and temperatures will be much better.

70-80 C? Are you trolling or what? These are normal temperatures for this CPU

1 Like

Not for a liquid cooled setup it isn’t, unless the poor bloke is running with no FPS cap (because lulz4090whycap). I suspect the OP’s “predicament” is self inflicted as even that CPU won’t run that hot unless you have ridiculous settings.

Since Origin builds their systems as a single loop (CPU + GPU in the same loop), it’s possible his settings are causing the GPU to run hot which then causes the CPU to warm up more than it should since the cooling is shared between them. But even then that’s a self inflicted scenario and the settings need to be reined in (mainly FPS/vSync). A 4090 and that CPU together will run wild with poorly set game options.

FWIW, I feel sorry for the OP. Origin configures fans as all exhaust in the liquid cooled systems, creating 100% negative pressure. The OP’s going to be having to dust out the computer a lot because of that.

2 Likes

If temperature allows, 7900X3D will overclock itself like crazy by default, using PBO boost and motherboard is further boosting it by showing the CPU fake power draw. ASUS does this, so my 5800X with 105W default TDF is actually reaching 140W!!! This topic has been beaten to death on Youtube by prominent IT youtubers, everything is clear. 7900X3D is no different, this CPU will run how no matter what, it’s designed that way.
If OP doesn’t like it, he must disable motherboard boost, then disable PBO boost. ONLY THEN he will return to 120W his processor is rated for. (120W is quite a lot on it’s own, but I am sure his CPU is OC’ing itself to 200W if he doesn’t adjust BIOS settings!)

Very well may be! Hardware/build issue, yet user is reporting this to game forum.

Crazy. Even more proof that build is not done correctly, and OP is in the wrong place complaining here.

1 Like

Not really, if posting here ends up getting the OP information that leads to a properly tuned setup.

See:

ASUS shenanigans aside (and they have plenty up their sleeves), letting the OP know about PBO Boost is an example of them posting here resulting in a net gain in usable information.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that a modern CPU’s “rated” TDP is very often overshot when running in turbo mode. And that CPU’s PPT is 162W, which is what the socket will allow at maximum, so factoring in overhead a 140W TDP under turbo conditions would be expected for even your CPU since it has the same PPT limit.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a valid point. Next thing we should teach OP is that CPU temperatures are a hardware thing, nothing to do, or blame, a software program or a game! Game is not “broken” because it uses CPU cycles, even if is does more so than other games. “Temperature spikes” have nothing to do with the game, but with the CPU itself - OP doesn’t like it, he must go to the BIOS for the first time and learn how to configure his hardware.

1 Like

Never go full prebuilt PC :melting_face:

Also, not playing a game because the CPU reaches 70-80° is ridiculous :clown_face:

“Diablo 4 Associate Game Director Joe Piepiora clarified the situation a bit on Twitter, stating that Stash tabs are memory hogs. Whenever you encounter another player, be it in Kyovashad or out in the wild battling enemies, the game loads not only the physical character and gear, but also that player’s entire Stash.”

maybe thats the reason why something felt wrong with this game the whole time. i also got those temp spikes from 45 degrees while ingame idling, doing nothing, to instantly 81 degrees (other people with worse cooling 90 degrees). this is happening constantly after some while of playing. people telling me, it has nothing to do with how the game is coded.

well. if an ARPG isnt build from the scratch so that it is able to provide enough stash for the players without hard technical limits or overkill of loading stuff in the background that isnt even neccessary, i would say to all those people who blamed me or my hardware setup before: well, however, thanks for your understanding :stuck_out_tongue:

this wasnt and still is not a normal behavior, and now we maybe got the answer from blizzard themselves. was clear something is working strangely in the background there, that could or should be altered and somehow optimized because it leads to this fan speeds ramping up for milliseconds constantly and stuff. yeah but we need to fix our fan curve, disable our cpu turbo boosts or blame ourselves for being too stupid :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: yes, its normal how the cpu reacts and acts then. but just because something is coded so bad it has to put your system full stress when X happens (just a player loading in, overloading memory, whatever), it still is not good. its still good to REPORT THOSE THINGS here in the forums, so that blizzard can acknowledge. thank you

This is called optimization. If the code is not optimized, it is unlikely to warm up anything.

you call it optimization when blizzard themselves reports that they dont know how to implement further stash tabs yet because this leads to performance issues.

imagine one more stash tab, not only the fans would ramp up fullspeed, the computer would start to fly, or explode, people would suffer and die, just because another player enters your area where you are idling around doing nothing.

maybe i just dont really get you, or dont understand what you are doing here in the posts where people report their issues, but at the same time its senseless to discuss. in the end, i guess we just have a different picture of this :slight_smile:

Your problem is that you’ve mixed all your problems together. You won’t get any answers with this approach.

No, The problem is this game is causing problems to 2k€+ setups (prebuilt or not) that don’t even occur in the slightest with any other, also more demanding, games.

OP even spoonfed you the incompetency of the devs with the quoted tweet and somehow people still have the damn audacity to stick these problems to the users themselves.

Stop it

Edited for Language by the Moderation Team.
Forum Code of Conduct

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.