Monster scaling is a terrible idea

This game is such a boring slog, it takes so long to clear a dungeon of all the trash. You gain one level, and the game slows down even further. It’s like you’re being punished for leveling.

15 Likes

So don’t kill every single trash mob? It’s just a different style of gameplay

In D2 you would be punished for trying to progress. If you just do the quests and don’t repeat zones over and over, you’ll soon hit a point where you won’t have enough gear/levels to continue doing the content. You had to grind to continue, except maybe as a sorc

In D4 you’re instead punished for farming trash mobs. If you go around and only kill trash, you’re going to level faster than you acquire gear, and will therefore feel weak. If you instead stick to focusing elite packs / bosses, you’ll acquire gear faster and won’t have that issue

1 Like

Since there is a contest going on, they did not want people to just power level their friends. So, we have monster scaling. Because people will pay to have other people do stuff for them, we have monster scaling.

Disagree. I dont think it scales enough. That or xp is just way to fast. Im already lvl 41 and I havent even started act 2 yet because I want to 100% fractured peaks first. I still have a few quests left. I’ve only touched like half the dungeons so far too. Capstone dungeon 5 acts away only scales to level 50. I’ll be 100 before I even leave world tier 2 at this rate.

I don’t agree. Scaling makes every area a a challenge, rather than just steamrolling through ‘starting areas’ at lower levels. I know some won’t agree, and I can see both sides of the coin. But it makes every area playable at your current level.

2 Likes

Its been apart of the franchise since the launch of d3.

Someone didn’t play D3 at launch.

i beta tested it and played launch and played every season for 22 seasons.

-e

I was there when the drug lords tried to use the RWC AH to launder money.

Dont quote the sacred texts to me child, i was there when they were written.

-e2

I think ive beta tested almost every single game blizzard has ever made, now that I think about it.

Then you’d remember D3 didn’t have scaling at launch. This was added later.

4 Likes

Fair, but we werent talking about diablo 3s launch, and if we were no one mentioned it before hand lol

-e

D3 and d4 are too different animals though, unless you consider the ‘shop’ = to the RWCAH?

I dont think the shop requires blizzard reclassify itself as a bank lol

I’m starting to agree with the OP re: boring slog tho. Everything feels the same I never seem to feel more powerful.

2 Likes

I could say that every game i own is boring, and thats saying something, like, i have 10tb of space total, and that can only contain 1% of my total games. and thats not even counting my physical copies…

The sad fact is, as an adult in the modern gaming world, games are boring. There is hope though, they sell it at dispensaries.

-e

sometimes i stair at my librairy for hours unable to choose what to play

Other times i install something, only to launch it, and close it 5 minutes later, to re-uninstall it.

-e2

It’s a dilemma, a Gamers Dilemma.

I guess I’ll be the minority (or at least minority in this thread) I am LOVING the scaling. As someone who natural scales D2(R) ( ./playersX command) the fact I can literally just pace myself how I want and never be bored due to scaling. Yes, sometimes I’ve hit some issues due to my weapon but those are temporary and I’ll shoot back normal after a hour or so in my experience.

If I wasn’t so impatient for the mount I would have done a lot more side quests to start as I’ve found some of those to be nice intriguing side stories.

2 Likes

I really like getting level 5 drops from level 20 mobs. Also level 17 gambling items at level 30. I honestly wonder if real life monkeys worked on this game.

I normally have no issues with monster scaling, what makes it so terrible in this game is that every piece of loot that drops while leveling is like 10 levels lower than you, so you will never ever be at your current levels power, making monster scaling a huge disadvantage

Not a fan of the level scaling either but it’s not a deal breaker. I’m still having a blast.

This is pretty indicative that you didn’t play Diablo 2, or if you did, you never actually did a full playthrough where you actually do the quests, etc. You never need to grind in D2 unless someone’s rushing you, or you’re speedrunning, or you’re playing a physical build - which, hugely regrettable design oversight, but accounts for pretty much just a few builds and Barbarians. The XP you get is pretty substantial and keeps you right on track for where you should be all the way up to Hell A5. It’s not a “except as a sorc” thing, it’s “except as literally every single build that ain’t physical weapon damage”.

1 Like

I’ve played Diablo 2 on and off for over 20 years, but alright.

Sure, maybe the XP scales fine (though… I’d argue that isn’t even true) - the issue however, is the gear. Go do a playthrough on D2, at least LOD I dunno if you were referring to the original D2 instead of the expansion, and see just how much gear you get from a singular playthrough with no re-clearing of zones or bosses

You will be massively undergeared, and honestly not very high level either, by the time you reach… probably mid/late nightmare. Certainly by hell. Now, that isn’t to say you can’t do it, I’m sure speedrunners do it all the time, the issue is that the difficulty is significantly higher. Your damage will be significantly worse. Your AR will be significantly worse. Your block chance will be significantly worse. Etc etc

The meta, the thing that almost every player did, was re-farm zones in order to try and counter these issues. You would see plenty of baal games and cow games, even in normal. Not so much chaos sanc iirc but I’m sure some of those existed too

Skipping mobs is lame. It’s indicative of poor game design.

This is true, however, what you won’t be doing is spending the same amount of time to clear act 1 mobs that you will act 5 mobs.

This way you can skip certain quests and just do them later when you are geared. Unlike this game where it’s the same slog no matter what level and where you are.