Minion command & targeting UI/Controller Mapping

There are very good ideas…
Why would minions attack barriers, invulnerable targets, ads in the middle of a boss fight ?
Necros are supposed to be the commanders of the dead, not the other way around !!
Having a pet move/attack command button would solve it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if the devs ever thought of such ideas to solve it…

I use Aspect of Metamorphosis for this because it breaks the link between summons and the necro and re-establishes after the dash finishes. It basically hard resets the summons AI when it screws up badly.

It’s janky and not ideal but it does work.

1 Like

I’m just sad because they already had a skill called command skeletons in Diablo 3. And some that they auto target the next closest mob after its primary died and kept th attack power buff. D 4 was a massive step back for minions. Hence the need to completely revert all the initial minion nerfs from the beta.

1 Like

Minions here has colision, just like in D2 (unless when you clump then with teleport/enigma).

Colision is the major problem to have a command buttons, as i said in other topics.

To me, it will cause more problems than solve, because if you command your army to atack specific mobs, some of then will just run around doing nothing, trying to reach your target non stop.

In D3, skeletons dont had colision on skill…

The solution would be pretty simple, having a new interface only for minion controler where we can choice who minion will interact, what they will do in fight if they have to focus on a single monster or attack any monster that come near the player first, monster with the lowest life etc that way there is no need to have a buttom to spam every second.

My pitch has always been:

When you use the golem active, it directs all your minions to attack its target.

Simple, easyish to implement, and adheres to their “limit the buttons” design philosophy

Too many minions, so especially if you select an enemy with a small hitbox they can’t all attack it and would probably jank out trying.

I think it’s fine; it’s balanced because a lot of the big damage spread abilities can’t really focus fire. Tornados, Frozen Orbs, etc. all just spread themselves out randomly and kind of attack whatever. If minions have enough speed and damage to make up for their general lack of control I don’t see the issue.

1 Like

I’m sure they have, and that they have completely legitimate reasons for why they made it the way they did, whether by design or limitations or compromises or whatever. They know 10000% more about the workings of the game and the behind the scenes stuff than me or anyone else not on the dev team. I just ultimately hope one day we can have more active minion control, that’s all.

What on Earth makes you believe that’s a limitation for D4?

Man, those are sugestions i wrote since the first launch and nobody cared, now you come with a tesis with the same. Also people were insulting me and stuff like that and now they say oh, is a great suggestion!!! thanks!!!, what have you done to them, do you pay people? XD.

1 Like

Because to remove colision, they will need to let minions unstoppable or then let them walk free beetween monsters, which isnt something i think devs want to do.

It will change too much game design (at least my opnion).

Anyway, this is something every necro can ask to devs, but i simple cant see this work on pratice, considering all that i said.

Why would they remove collision to begin with? That’s nonsense. The issue is with skeletons lagging on target acquisition and the crappy leash range that breaks too easily.

I exclusively play minionmancer. I know what I’m talking about here.

I already said, just read my replies before…

If you target specific mob, some minion will do nothing trying to reach them… Perhaps you re thinking only about mages that are ranged, this isnt the case of warriors that play big part in utility and tank.

Also trying to convince others that you have more experience, saying things like “I know what I’m saying”, usually does just the opposite, especially in forums where most players don’t even know each other :wink:.

I wish you good luck with your suggestion, not hurt put your perspective, just like me.

1 Like

Your minions aggro isn’t tied to your aggro. What you’re expecting is something that never existed and it probably shouldn’t be like that because your minions attacking multiple targets is generally a good thing due to their collision. It lets them “tank” the enemy even if the enemy ignores them, mostly.

What it seems like you want is a focus fire button for summons, which I agree should be a thing.

In this case though, I do what what I’m talking about. You’re talking about things that never existed, however. So IDK man, I don’t wanna be mean or rude but this is one of those -.- “really?” moments lol.

Anyhow we’re all here for one thing, to support D4 in some way. Disagreeing doesn’t mean fighting and I get the feeling you think otherwise in this case. Dialogues go two ways. Otherwise this may as well be a Reddit echo chamber. Cheers!

They can give us an option for minions to focus fire on a target, so we decide when to use it.

You’re making this way more complicated than it needs to be. In Last Epoch and in Grim Dawn (due to the way I have my keybinds setup) you press “A” on your keyboard and your pets either move to your mouse marker or attack the mob under your mouse marker. That’s all that needs to happen.

They could even borrow some code from Star Craft 2 for general interface and ‘strategy’ of what the minions are supposed to be doing.

they don´t need to remove collision, i make videogames, there are pathtracking, script to recognise colliders and set the best way to move, and there is something called, be with your necro sucker AI. Also most of the time they are, is just bugged. When you enter a boss fight they usually reborn when you have zero. So they should do that forever instead of spamming and wasting buttons and everything.

You must have missed where I said…

or perhaps the part where the thread title is “Controller Mapping.”

aka, DUH that would be super freaking obviously easy to just make them attack with any keyboard button over where your mouse is aimed. Like jfc. lol.