Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023

Same for me. I have a 7900xt. Normal gameplay the card uses about 150W and sits between 60 and 65C. When i open the Inventory/Vendor/etc. it shoots up to 90C and 290W. When i cap the framerate to 120fps it is better.
Running Fedora38 and Diablo through Lutris.

I fixed this issue! But in weird way.

I have 1080ti and it started when I opened inventory and been while there, or more less it can happen on any UI element interaction.

I played on 2K high/medium settings nothing crazy. Recently it started crashing all time when I went to inventory, checking my GPU it went from 50% to 100%. Actually lowered details didn’t help. So I went different way. I put game to my 4K monitor, set everything highest possible. Now my GPU sits on 100% all time not just menu. So far no crashes (like 8 hours session yesterday). Today I tried to lower it a bit since some places I got lags… it crashed immediately in inventory again.

Definitely an interesting discovery. I wonder what it could be.

Just wanna add my input, seems to be fixed for me when disabling automatic tuning in geforce experience

Also have problem with high temp and crazy fan spin when vendor\inventory tab is open. In normal gameplay graphic card stay silent. Im on gtx 1070 btw. Looks like some UI elements render in uncapped fashion.

Look at Post 34, Blizzard is gathering data if you are able to send yours in.

Didnt watch my GPU… but my CPU goes skyrocket every 1-2 mins in the game for some seconds… from 50-55 °C … to ~75.

2 Likes

I have downloaded high resolution textures, the game still crashes but less frequently than before.

I completely agree. I’ve been experiencing consistent crashes while playing the game today. My GPU is a mid-tier AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, which should handle the game graphics without any issues. The rest of my monitors are connected to a GTX 980, and my PC’s drivers are up to date same with the GPU drivers. I’ve made sure that Diablo 4 is running on the correct GPU and that the graphics settings are not set higher than ‘high’.

4k full detail with a 1080ti? its a typo?
i play with a 3060ti and get only about 60fps with ultra settings and cant use ultra texture.
using ultra textures always ends in a crash.

As a palliative solution in my case:

1 - I accessed the nvidia control panel and set the maximum fps to 75 (maximum frequency of my screen)
2 - I set the graphics to high (using ultra the problem always happened after interacting with any npc or opening the inventory)

After 30 - 40 minutes the problem happens again and the gpu gets 100%, however I use fast travel to the city and come back through the portal. GPU usage returns to normal (30-50%).

My specs:

Ryzen 9 7900, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM 5200MHZ(2x16), Asus TUF X670e-plus, Kingston FURY Renegade 2T SSD

I didn’t say I have always full 60fps. But Ultra textures didn’t change performance. It just popped more ram.

Still better have less fps than crashing all time…

There are people sitting on the toilet posting in forums as a hobby, but are not very good at that either.

If they don’t make a statement or fix this soon, the only power you have as consumers (if you’re within your GPU warranty) is to return your GPU and inform them that Diablo 4 is the software that caused it. The last thing they want is the GPU manufacturers also pressuring them if they’re not already. Again, let’s see if they address it in earnest before going that route, but you do have meaningful actions available to you in lieu of staying in griping purgatory.

2 Likes

After browsing this thread, I remember that the first crash was the time my char returned home and I tried to access the inventory.
I hope they fix it.
I really don’t want to play now as the hardwares will be damaged.

1 Like

E209449D-8BC0-4C92-AAB6-3681B5F90D9D

Thats all I am getting. Good Game Blizzard.

They have made multiple statements about looking into it and gather data.

Most places do not let you “return” used electronic components. They will replace it if there is an issue with the card itself.

The issue here is that there is a game issue pushing cards far harder then it should be.

The "only power’ we have is to be vocal so Blizzard takes it seriously. If people listened to people saying “just cap your FPS” I can guarantee you that they wouldn’t have this thread pinned.

You are entitled to your opinions, thanks for sharing and being on topic /s.

I lost laptop that was half year after warranty. Send it to service in the city and waiting if there is something to save.

How?

I talked to NPC, fans went crazy and laptop died. I find You that i had some crashes befor when i talked to npcs si i went here and that is how i find out that Diablo 4 killed my hardware.

Yo ‘Mr. Civility’ I payed $100 for your game and what I got in return was an alpha version, game stutters,FPS drops from 60 to 0 when entering new zones/new city, huge FPS drops when opening inventory / tabbing through map panel options (collection, shop etc), Game FPS drops and even disconnected when taking portal specially to big cities such as Kyovashad, Game FPS drops / lags when opening options menu either at character list or in game.

Regardless if you have minimum / recommended requirements, these same issues still apply to everyone, call it gtx950, gtx970 / rtx 3k/4k/5k/6k/9k series or whatever.

You ask for civility and honestly that’s quite pathetic as many of us PAYED for your game and WE’RE ENTITLED TO GET IN RETURN A FINISHED WELL OPTIMIZED VERSION OF YOUR GAME and NOT an alpha with stutters, crashes, FPS drops etc.

As of right now your company Blizzard promoted false advertisment if we can’t play the game with minimum requirements regardless if the game is running with low settings or not it should run smoothly WITHOUT stutters/FPS drops/ lags/ crashes / freezing etc.

in conclusion: STOP WITH THE MEDIOCRE PROGRAMMING AND FIX EVERYTHING ALREADY NOT TOMORROW NOT IN TWO DAYS, DO IT NOW!!!, You don’t like this type of reply? Then don’t sell a product that is still in alpha plain simple,WE ARE CUSTOMERS, WE PAYED,WE DESERVE THE BEST OF THE PRODUCT NO EXCUSES.

7 Likes

same issue
got a 2070 super and the fans and usage goes bonkers in any merchant menu

tried about every solution including setting the max frame rate to 60 in the nvidia control panel for diablo 4 exe but nothing helps against this