Level Scaling feels bad man

Super early game (lvl 18 Sorc WT2) but yeeesh im getting no sense of item power bumps and it seems the more skills i get the faster i run out of mana.
I dont mind a challenge and nearly dyinig at times, thats why im on tier 2 but finding an item that increased dmg by 40% and then not feeling that at all feels bad.

Whats your experience been like?

6 Likes

I’m a lvl 30 sorc and currently feel pretty powerful with my build but the sense of progression / dmg progression / gear progression is either really really really slow or just not very apparent to me.

It’s a slow start imo that’s for sure. I hope it picks up soon.

1 Like

Sounds like you have a bad build, op. Go to maxroll or icy-veins and take a proper build.

5 Likes

My experience has mostly been the same. 35 summon Necro feels like I’m just getting weaker and weaker as I level. 21 twisted rogue feels wildly more powerful. 21 hota barb hits like a wet noodle. I get shiny new weapons but feel zero power spikes at all. Just slowly but surely feeling weaker as I level.

3 Likes

I am lvl 18 how could i possibly create a bad build lol

Frost Bolt - Enhanced, Glinting
Frozen Orb - Enhanced, Greater
Frost Nova - Enhanced, Mystical
Hydra - Enhanced, Summoned
Blizzard - Enhanced
1 point Glass cannon

2 Likes

Not just me then.

/20char!

I honestly kind of like where this is at. If I fail to synergize different mechanics that build off each other my build feels bad in a good way. It’s not unplayable it just feels bad. When I get skills and items that work well together or complement each other it feels really good. Kinda like a solved puzzle. One item doesn’t make a difference but when I click the right pieces together to synergize that impact feels so good. (Working on a frost build atm around bonuses to frozen enemies as a mechanic)

I’m not talking about like needing to find the top meta build, even just a few synergies make a huge difference. If I just pick the higher numbers and not focus on synergies my build suffers. It really encourages theory crafting and making your own theme to your build and sticking with it rather than chasing the highest armor or damage.

Way more fun, but if you’re comparing it to D3’s item progression I totally get your perspective. I just much prefer my crazy theory crafting to matter and I feel like it does here. Also to your point there arn’t a lot of opportunities to do that during the leveling process, and a strong case can be made that leveling shouldn’t feel bad and items should be meaningful especially so early on.

2 Likes

Maybe I am still too focused on how WoW gear works. Need to learn…

37 sorc here.

After full combo I don’t have mana for 2-3 sec, but Combo still ongoing…
Then only last hits. It’s ok.

2 Likes

In my experience so far, at level 45, it seems like the most advantageous thing you can do, to keep up with level scaling, is to constantly replace your gear as you go. That will keep you killing quickly.

The level scaling is great, because even after playing Act 1 for days now I still find it both challenging and fun to explore everything; because all mobs drop good loot with level scaling, I can go anywhere and be rewarded.

Yeah I get that pros and cons and stroking the perfect balance is hard.
Not sure which is like more but I’d guess scaling will pay out far more later on when like you said you can go anywhere and still feel challenge and reward.
I and am constantly changing gear but still not feeling any bumps in power but it’s super early game so will see.

1 Like

I think a lot of players got way too used to the idea of being insta-gods who get showered with powerful gear immediately in Diablo 3.

Leveling is supposed to be a little bumpy and challenging; and it’s important to always be replacing and upgrading gear.

1 Like

once you hit 40ish you start seeing more legendary items, and those aspects will help tremendously, too. good luck out there

1 Like

I’m running a fire build.

Firebolt, Incinerate, Fire shield, Hydras, Comet.

Drop Hydra, hit with left click to get burning going, wait for stuff to get on top of me, pop shield and drop comet at the same time, then dodge out on shield expiration. Usually kills everything quickly.

I have skill points in resetting my defensive talents on crit, getting 50% of missing health back on Fire shield use, hydras get more crit chance for damage output, and comet has immobilize on it. The burn does the heavy lifting across the board, while the comet immobilize ensures they take full damage from a hit since the ground burn lasts 3 seconds.

Incinerate doesn’t even get used.

I like the build, pretty powerful. I’ll probably change up incinerate to Frost Nova or Chain Lightning so I have a reason to pop that spell.

But mana wise, this is very light on use. Left click does most of the damage with the burn, Hydras and Comets do the rest when I need it. I’m level 21 currently.

Had the same exact experience today. It was extremely annoying… I finally swapped to tier one and at first I didn’t see much of a difference, but right around level 30 on Tier 1, legendaries started dropping left and right. This really made a difference for my sorc. I may swap back to tier 2 to see if this made a difference.

1 Like

My experience is a bit frustrated with how this scaling works. I was level 29 and just face rolling stuff then I get leveled up to 30 and fights got much more intense since my minions were getting clobbered in fact the same boss I killed at 24 killed me in one shot.

I get some new gear and then the same mobs are once again face roll. I think they need to fix the extreme gap between every ten levels.

1 Like

I like it. The game hasn’t become a faceroll and that’s exactly what I want. I hate facerolling. I want to actually have to use my skills and avoid damage and mind my health.

Yeah I stayed in T1 because it just doesn’t make sense to spend a lot of time leveling. After level 40 I may go on to T2.

I think it is the jump on mobs in health and power. Seems every five levels you have to find some gear to progress in the game. Level 19 to 20 was not near as bad as 29 to 30. I don’t know what 39 to 40 is going to be. Speaking of Legendries, they are worthless after you are 10 levels over the level requirements.

Thanks for taking time out of your busy posting schedule (2500+) posts to tell the OP to go make a meta build.

Fact is, it’s not the build, it’s the scaling and the fact that the gear dropping is probably 7-12 levels lower than the OPs character putting them well below the arbitrary power curve.

4 Likes

Are you guys upgrading your gear? Especially your weapons? I had no real issues as a Necromancer. Game was pretty easy. Felt pretty steady through the campaign.