Is this tool from Nexus Mod bannable?

you could, yes. but it wouldnt be officially supported by that game since running a non-steam game through steam would technically count as using a 3rd party program. technically.

1 Like

Makes me wonder if they implemented a work around so steam itself wouldn’t trigger a false positive. Now the real question is if the program knows you bought it through steam to set this flag, or if the flag is activated regardless.

Not that I’m willing to test it out, but does make me curious.

1 Like

I disagree. This kind of information changes the feel of the game and a know every analytic while you are playing isn’t the feel they were going for with the game.

They will never give a detailed answer like that because they want the grey area to make decisions as necessary and not be hounded for it. Some things they might turn a blind eye to and some things might get you banned - and the criteria might change depending on context.

Their default answer is ALL 3rd party software is banned. It doesn’t get much more clear than that.

But I don’t think they can possibly detect any program, overlay etc that truly has zero interaction with the game. That doesn’t read game files or modify anything etc. Like for example if you overlayed a stopwatch on your screen to alert you to XYZ intervals (which you set to coincide with game activities) I don’t think they can do anything about that.

The ToS states no third party software.

That is it.

You wanna use some, use it at your own risk.

There is no discussion.

2 Likes

A notice regarding unauthorized game modifying software in Diablo IV - PC General Discussion - Diablo IV Forums (blizzard.com)

The sticky mentions a HUD. Also I wanna say people got banned for mobalytics at launch but don’t quote me on that I just napped.

Steamhud is not really comparable to most overlays that give background calculations and integrate in the game. Steam is a ‘dead’ overlay, most cheathuds hook into the screen information.

tldr

if your hud looks like this you will get banned

1 Like

Windows is not exactly third party, as it is an integrated part of being able to run the game. More like second party.

The moment they name what is not allowed, silly people will claim that anything they forgot, or anything that did not exist when Blizzard made their announcement, must be allowed.
Nor can they mention which software is allowed, since that software might do something else tomorrow than what it did today.
All they can say is what functions you are not allowed to do. Which they mostly have. Albeit that too can be difficult to be too precise about, as people can get very creative with bending the rules. Stuff like this is much more about intent than anything else.

Not at all. It can simply mean that they are having a hard time detecting it.
People do not always get banned in sport for using performance enhancing drugs. Because it can be hard to determine. Surely does not mean it is allowed.

Since it is a required part of Steam, presumably not third party.

A feature or tool can be allowed, while using it in specific ways are not allowed.
If an overlay is not reading from, or interacting with, your running game, in any way, it is hard to see how it would not be allowed however.
Like, overlaying Helltides website would presumably be perfectly fine.

If the site read the game memory to determine which chests you hadnt opened yet, or something like that, then it would not be allowed.

If it isnt the feel they were going for, they sure failed at it.
They could simply add more RNG to the chests spawns, so it was different for everyone.

I see no justification for not having a timer for when world bosses and helltides spawn (I mean, Helltides should always be up), but similarly, if Blizzard didnt want it to be this way, they could change them to random spawn times.

:100:

Exactly.

So making a win.ini executable like Mousepad wasn’t technically a violation of the TOS?

it propably is against the tos
and this means u could be banned for it

but asfar as i understand the tool it only displays information clientside and doesnt do anything to the game itself

which means this is undetectable and wont get u banned realisticly

like aslong as a tool doesnt change anything about the game and is hud / overlay exclusivly it might be bannable but not detectable

When I played WoW like 15 years ago they allowed mods and macros, what changed since then?

You can still use mods in wow. Nothing changed.

I meant Blizz philosophy

Anyone using mods i hope is ban . theres nothing wrong with the base game UI. Wow is the only game that allows Mods due to its Sandbox UI design and setup. D4 doesnt have this and therefore doesnt allow modding

1 Like

Same as Nvidia DLSS…

I use a mod, 3 of them. But they been approved.

That is you using windows for something that is not required to run the game.

Only allow mods and macros that are within the rules of the game however. The overlays from Diablo wouldn’t be allowed.
But yeah, D4 should be playable offline, and have mod support.
I guess Kotick and co. happened.

To be fair, afaik Blizzard regrets WoW addons because of all the information they can give in raids. The devs are fighting addons more than the players when designing stuff.

also my geforce technically is an over lay with added d4 support to it… and can be pulled up in game… so technically even though blizzard uses it…

Speaking of overlay … What about steam overlay, now that D4 is on steam ? You are a keybind away from pulling any website right on top of your game, with a feature provided by a distribution software endorsed by Blizzard.

Wait till blizzard hears about Nvidia drivers!!!

psst… that has been discussed in this post. might help if you read the comments.

1 Like