IPS or VA monitor?

IPS>VA>TN Anyone telling you otherwise is an idiot. I wouldn’t go curved for 27" but It’s a personal preference I guess.

Better in what way? Each has there own strengths and weaknesses and it comes down to player preference. I for one prefer VA panels because I love deep blacks and high contrast. I have not experienced the ghosting and smearing that others have maybe because my monitor falls in that upper price range. For me, Oled>VA>IPS>TN.

The answer is buy an a95k

For reasons

I bought a Samsung G5 32" VA 144hz aaaand it was horrible. It had so much motion blur/ghosting it made me physically nauseous. I sent it back and bought an a more expensive IPS instead which im happy with.

After reading around, the only really good VA panels is Odyssey g7 and up.
Just if you decide for a VA make sure to do your research.

Yeah, I’m doing a hell of a lot of research before considering getting a VA panel – now going back and forth between a 27" or a 34" UWQHD…

There are a couple affordable Dell VA monitors which seem to have practically gotten rid of ghosting, eyeing those.

Yeah don’t buy VA panels period.

Go here. www.-rtings.com/monitor/tools/table minus the -
This site you can trust in the reviews. And check if the monitors you are considering have been reviewed.

1 Like

I use a small VA monitor for most of my gaming nowadays and while the contrasts and blacks are very nice compared to my IPS panel, the smearing/ghosting is horrific on it.

You kinda have to decide what you value more: richer contrasts or visual clarity?

Visual clarity is only possible with a glossy coated screen. Any matte filter will smear the pixels making for either a grainy (more agressive matte coating) or oily look (lighter matte coating). Either way you will have a veiled picture, like looking at the world through a dirty lens. There is a reason all topline TVs are glossy.

I’d say it is worth it to go for the 34" VA imo. The size is just perfect if you can afford.

Sure, that could be the case.

What I was getting at by saying visual clarity was readability of text when scrolling and your whole screen generally not looking like you just engaged warp 5 whenever the picture moves, particularly in scenes with high contrasts.

Tell us your needs, o Axe.
Your setup, your preferences? What are you buying this for haha?
If it’s on your desk in front of you, and you have no eye problems, I would highly suggest you don’t jump straight into 34inch+ and curve below that is kinda distracting to some.
It’s easier to find quality IPS at that price range.
VA’s are ok for watching movies, or working with image editing, IPS for games is probably better, the constant motion in games kind of dictates that.
As said above here, the glossy finish on VAs is horrible for glare. So it feels like you have to play in a dark room.
The “faded” blacks are not a big deal for me, because I found that I prefer them a bit lighter in D4’s dark colour palette. (Tried to play D4 beta with full range dynamic output (it looks more like a VA panel) and that was hard to see, whether you up colour gamma or brightness- like it bamboozles your eyes). Having a IPS feels like you have everything under control

1 Like

Thanks Las - Im buying this for gaming primarily, and Im mostly intetested in immersive games like D4, Cyberpunk, Jedi, maybe Souls-type games. It’s quite hard to decide between VA and IPS here - the deeper contrasts are attractive, but the more vibrant colors of the IPS are also. Hard to know which would be more important in D4. Ghosting seems to have been largely taken care of by even budget VA monitors like the Dell S2722DGM, though it is a 27" curved.

And then there’s this: a $170 total (after $25 coupon) 27" IPS QHD from a brand with zero reviews anywhere called XGaming. Very suspicious, but what do you think? Best price for an IPS by far.
https://a.co/d/2GAe9IZ

I am looking for budget, but for $100-150 difference it’s silly to buy something bad.

OLED is the clear winner for me. Albeit burn-in is a problem, and for monitors there are additional issues with especially text clarity, so havent made the jump yet.
Between IPS and VA it is always a choice between different problems. I have never tried a VA monitor, but my impression is that they have gotten much better, to the point where they are a good choice overall. Still, I’d probably pick IPS. I would just prefer not to have to ever both with either of those again :smiley:

Bring on micro-led already.

Monitor quality control is already terrible, I definitely wouldnt add to that with some completely unknown brand without reviews.

Agreed, but Im wondering how bad could a 27" QHD IPS 165hz really be? IPS means it shouldnt have ghosting and colors should be ok, brightness…

The manufacturer is apparently “Memsuoix”?
I can’t find a page for it, can’t see contrast, grey response, nits. Rather buy once, cry once.
At arms-length, for monitors smaller than 32inch, 4k doesnt seem to me to make much difference especially for games like Diablo with no draw distance.
I prioritize 21:9 over 4k, it feels liberating and it feels claustrophobic to go back. I played D4 first beta with 16:9, other betas with 21:9, so much better (especially considering PvP). Then played some MOBAs with the new aspect ratio and it was much better, getting a read on situations faster than looking through a keyhole. Direct improvement on player performance.
The next priority is panel type, and at this budget one would assume any VA would probably be miserable. See if you can find a friend or store with IPS panels you can play with in Nvidia control panel under “change resolution settings” you have colour output format, and on your monitor you can manually adjust RGB ratio.
The Optix MAG301RF is $220 in US apparently. If you’re set on 2560x1440 you’re going to have to go up to 34 most likely, which to me in just a tad too big for sitting at arm’s length on a desktop (2.05m armspan) and it comes with increased price. Other than that, curve under 34 is kinda annoying- depending on viewing level, the horizontal straight lines near the bottom of your screen are always bent but in a kind of unintuitive way, unlike warping from high FOV in FPS games.

Refresh rate: there’s a big difference between 60 and 120, not so much between 120 and 200.
Let us know what you decide on

1 Like

Neither.

Get an OLED.

I know that the smearing/ghosting isn’t as bad on certain models but this is what made me go for IPS instead :

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/ls82bg/ips_vs_va_monitor_in_one_gif_black_smearing_issue/

Oled > ips > va > tn

Always has been.