In response to “Players have no patience”

I have gome with my neice and nephew. I just now have my own child. 2.5 month old naby girl, so shes a bit off being able to go and enjoy it hah. The last time i went was before they put the 2nd star wars ride in.

I went with my sister’s kids last summer. Age 10 and under. 3 of them. They hated the place. Probably because it was too Disney. Youtube had rotted their brains over the years. They somehow want to go to ComicCon and Anime Expo. But the few times I wen to AX I got sick everytime. No way I’m taking kids there just so they can spread germs.

OR, they can add proper evolution in the game

IDK about you but don’t see the difference between NMDs and GRifts

That repetitiveness that you call “replayability” is what killed the game initially

Something needs to differ man, something needs to evolve, can’t slay the same monsters over and over and over for 60, 70, 80 levels straight

They need to include something new every now and then to keep the game going

Level 60 - start adding small amounts of resistances,
Lvl 70 - start adding additional individual augmentations (increased armor, resistances, cast frequency, aggression, e.t.c.)
lvl 80 - combine the two from before
lvl 90 - slowly include new champions types with other auras than damage reduction (cloak, poison enchant, cast frequency, increased armor, increased X resistance)
lvl100 - start adding a completely enchanted variation to a mobs, not necessarily all in an area but just an individual here and there (fire knight, lightning knight, shadow knight, fire snake, bladed snake, e.t.c. - doesn’t have to be THAT much into going every pallette but like 1-2 more variants per mob type here and there - icy worms, poisoned vampires, stuff like that)

And all that can be done even with a frequency of say 10% of actual current gameplay - would do wonders just enough to change the monotony of doing the same things over and over again all the time

3 Likes

I think its supposed to be D3 players have no patience, and guess what?? Blizzard created them.

1 Like

I think there is a ton of mixed terms and meanings behind them thrown around with this subject. When I hear “new” and “more” I assume that the core experience is already in place, reasonably balanced, and we’re adding to it. But here it was “Here’s a decent start, but don’t worry, over the next few seasons we’ll add/fix everything you WERE looking forward to!”

We’re being conditioned as consumers to expect less and less at launch, and put our faith, and money, into battlepasses, seasons and GLURK content roadmaps… I just see it get worse and worse every year. In like 5 years theyre going to sell you a $60 character generator and say “We are so excited to unveil the campaign mode in Season 1” lol

3 Likes

To me it seems more likely that he meant it in the way of:
Doesnt matter what the start was, good or bad, just throw new content out every day. New and shiny! Surely people will not care about the stuff that was yesterday.

Fixing is not a part of it. That ain’t “New”.

In 5 years. Isn’t that literally Star Citizens?

Oh crap… facepalm you’re right… lol

Although you COULD play it before haha

I mean if they don’t want the constant criticism and us asking for more to do, don’t call it a live service game. The expectation here is continuous content being added. That is what we are asking for. My expectations are every few months we get a major feature or major content put into the game for our enjoyment. (outside of seasons)

On the flip side of this, i think people should voice there opinions but do it in a way that is constructive. Explain what parts of the game are not fun and provide 2-3 examples of what would change it for you. The fact that people are so passionate about the game and we care about what it becomes is a huge deal. Review bombing and throwing a fit about d4 are not the ways to get the devs attention. That doesn’t add anything to the conversation about d4.

I am not sure why people are complaining about more when that is the obvious goal by the devs. Some of peoples arguments are like a child throwing a tantrum.

It was an unfair thing to say. I’m just tired of this culture where people intentionally misunderstand each other so they can start an argument.

On topic:

Mike Ybarra said those things for their defence. If Blizzard is not responsible for the poor content they have released recently, who is? It’s an indirect way to blame us for being too demanding and impatient. We have too high expectations.

Also this is worth noting:
“Ybarra is confident that Blizzard can handle everything it’s working on.”

I’ll just leave what he actually said and be done with you.

“We know players want new content literally almost every single day. At the same time, it takes large teams to be able to deliver that. So you have to monetize it in the right ways. At the same time, I always tell the teams, ‘When someone spends one dollar or a penny with Blizzard, I want them to feel good after they do that. How do we get to a world where we know that’s always going to be the basis of what we’re doing?’”

He says the team wrestles with the idea of releasing a standalone game without live components. “We want to serve players with more content in our universes. At the same time, we want to make sure we’re responsible and meet their expectations. I think we’re still fine-tuning a lot of those things as we go forward. But it’s something top of mind for me as we go forward.”

1 Like

I havent even touched on that line and thats my favorite one haha. I loved Overwatch, played it like crazy, unlocked a ton of skins. Then I got out before Sigma was released. Then I fired up OW2, man, really liked Sigma and I was like let me get a cool skin for him. I looked it up and found out there was no avenue to earn one through play. Fine, I’ll toss a few bucks at it just to look cool. 20… they wanted 20 for a non color change skin.

Needless to say I didn’t buy it, because I was fairly confident that I would not feel good after doing it haha.

2 Likes

But you totally will feel good about spending a dollar (or whatever the price is) for a 0.000000000001% chance to get a P2W gem in Diablo Immortal. Promise!

The entirety of those quotes of what he said is just insanity.

2 Likes

D4 is like my last line with Blizzard. WoW really destroyed my view of the company. Everything they’re doing over there just seems lazy and monetized with metrics in mind. I haven’t felt good spending on that game in years.

3 Likes

Releases ARPG with completely non functioning resist system which isn’t fixed for months. Complains that players want too much

Checks out.

2 Likes

no patience, expectations too high, take your medicine, no icecream.

theyve said some weird stuff recently :wink:

anything but the honest “yeah we kinda dropped the ball sorry about that, were gonna try n’ fix it”

2 Likes

If they did it earnestly without some non-apology crap with a rainbow pin on, man… the respect I’d give them. But as someone stated earlier, not gonna happen.

1 Like

Heh, I just saw this too…which is why I popped back onto the forums to see if there was any chatter about it.

I’m absolutely astounded that Mike Ybarra believes gamers are “impatient” when they were all too keen to take money as quickly as possible for a game that’s basically little more than a dressed-up Magic: Legends that needed several more years in development, without work being done on the seasons and expansion alongside it.

That was their call, not the community. No one asked for that.

People wanted a solid game with a strong foundation and longevity with the eventual seasons and expansions, not this rapid-fire shoddy rogue-light experience they crammed down people’s throats.

Long ago, I mentioned in another post that, because of the inadequate foundation that should have been focused on prior to launch, the development team would be scrambling to churn out subpar content to keep players interested…and now they’re pretending that’s the fault of the community?!

If the foundation was solid, they could have taken their time with seasons and expansions, but they opted for this absurd path that no one in their right mind wanted…resulting in mass abandonment and them frantically scrambling to keep who remains invested in the game with content they can’t even take their time with in developing.

I predicted this, I literally predicted this on your own forums, but I sure as hell didn’t predict that Mike would be blaming it on impatient gamers. Maybe if they wouldn’t have been wasting resources on two shoddy seasons and an expansion before the game was ever even released, people would still be having a blast with the core game while musing over what new exciting things were on the horizon with the first season and eventual expansion that would have just as much time and effort put into them as the core game itself.

…but what do I know, I’m not working in one of these fancy AAA dev studios, BUT I’M AVAILIBLE.

4 Likes

I like armchair dev as much as anyone but you reinvented elites and maybe mutators. Both of which are in game.

At a certain point the game is just killing mobs and getting stronger, either randomly through gear / loot or deterministically via leveling. Random = dopamine, deterministic prevents any session from being “wasted”.

They need content that creates content and a rewards system that makes completing content enable and entice completion of the self perpetuating content.

This is why the linear progression vs exponential difficulty from D3 was so clever, IMO.

It very rarely is the base idea that matters. It is the implementation.
It is exceedingly hard to have a new idea in gaming.

Not all Mutator/Elite affix systems are born equal. Not all Maps systems are either, as we have seen.

Blizzard have a tendency to add ideas to their games, but then polish them down to meaninglessness. Nobody should be be able to get hurt on a feature, that would just be terrible.

Well, its kinda just a statement , and to be honest, its fairly true