Helltide crashes my system, forcing hard reboot

This appears to happen when I open the map, maybe only when. I try to open the map and bam, screen goes totally black. My system is still running, but is completely unresponsive. This happens as much as 4 times during the event and the only option is a hard reboot. Four hard reboots an hour, every few hours is very hard on my system and wastes a significant amount of Helltide time. Maybe the graphics sub-system is crashing? The game hasn’t crashed anywhere else and runs fine otherwise.

Apple 2010 Mac Pro, 5,1
Windows 10 via Boot Camp
Intel Xeon X5690 @ 3.47GHz
48 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 580
Samsung SSD 860 EVO
Universal Audio UAD-2 Quad Apollo audio interface

Unfortunately, running the game via Boot Camp Windows isn’t supported by Blizzard so it’s outside the scope of this forum. However, you could investigate the Windows Event Viewer and see what call is being made before the crash. It may also be related to the server CPU you’re using vs a desktop version.

With all due respect, this is also happening on users systems that aren’t Boot Camp Mac’s, so the fact I’m running Windows on Apple hardware is hardly the issue. For all intents and purposes I’m running Windows 10 on an Intel PC with a Radeon RX 580. The issue isn’t with my system and whether it’s supported or not. The issue is there’s a bug in the game’s code that is crashing peoples machines during the Helltide event. Another thread about this issue seems to indicate that the RX 580 video card is a common denominator: Helltides crash my game

Event Viewer reports, “The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.”

“It may also be related to the server CPU you’re using vs a desktop version.” has absolutely nothing to do with it. The game runs fine everywhere else and crashes no where else. The game has crashed 14 times in 4 days during Helltide, which is 14 hard reboots, which can’t be good for my hardware.

Edit:

I’ve run Helltide three times since making my initial post. The first time I managed to get the Chest of Mysteries +2 normal chests without crashing before the event was over. After I got my last chest, noticing I had little time, I decided to portal to a town via map click, opened the map and… insta-crash.

The second time I got started late and only got the CoM +1 normal chest, with one crash when I opened the map at some point. When the event was over, instead of opening the map to click on a portal to return to a town, I logged out in the field. I waited a few minutes for Helltide to be over, re-logged and continued to play in that same area until the next Helltide (over an hour), doing side quests and Whisper events, opening the map many, many times with not one single crash.

The third time I managed CoM +3 normal chests without a single crash by NOT OPENING THE MAP. So, a workaround is to only use “T” to portal to town when you’re in a Helltide zone (which sucks if you want to go somewhere other than the main town) and open the map in town for your navigating/pins. Pin the location of a CoM and work from there and never open the map in a Helltide zone.

Something about Helltide and opening the map and/or inventory is broken for some players, possibly related, but not limited to Radeon RX 580 graphics. It has nothing to do with my computer, OS and/or it’s configuration, poor life choices, what I had for breakfast, etc.

I have an Rx580 and this happens to me every time I open the map in hell tide.

Game runs fine everywhere else.

I’m not running it on Mac.

1 Like

Win 11, rx580, crashing on every helltide and only on helltide

1 Like

Win 11, rx580, crashed a lot during helltide last week. I just crashed five minutes ago (probably another helltide event) in nightmare.

edit: I checked and yes, there is a hellfire event going right now. I made my computer crash by opening the map, and zooming in the helltide event in the map.

GPU crash when in the Iron wolf encampment helltide zone version - #13 by FatZero-1910 imore impacted RX 580 users

Just adding in that I am also crashing with my RX580 specifically for Helltide. Everything else runs fine with no issues.

Frustrating that an important part of the game is unplayable.

This is still happening after the patch today

Wow, this sucks then. I thought it would be fixed by then.

edit: it seems fixed for me.
edit2: nvm, it crashed five minutes in. It didn’t crash when zooming in and out of the map, though.
edit3: still crash on zooming

This is still happening after today’s stability fixes.

Edit: Two more bits of information. If your map bugs out and the area has the red hue even after the helltide you still crash. Second if you are in a seperate zone but open a nm dungeon in the helltide zone opening the map to try to teleport there, before even taking the teleportation still crashes your game.

It’s still happening after today.

MVP Support

As Bladewraith already said, runinng the game via Boot Camp Windows isn’t the problem at all. All RX 580 users I know are having this issue since launch and as an “MVP - Tech Support” all you could do was literally INVENT your support, and then ghost us all once it was proven you invented. What’s worse, this is still crashing (2nd august) and is not like helltides are an optional mechanic since some core materials are only obtained there. May you please at least bring someone who will do his job to the conversation?
I want to apologize if I sounded rude but the minimum I expect from a game I payed ultimate edition for is having access to the entire content. Maybe it has to do with AMD, but as users we can’t do anything apart from having all drivers up to date, if that does not work, the least you should provide is a solid answere, or at least let us know you are working on it.
Thank you.

1 Like

Soo its a Problem with rx580 GPU. Possibly something that can be fixed only in AMD drivers or by Blizzard… I wouldnt count on Blizzard here tbh… its easier to ignore it or deflect by saying “system-configuration is not supported”

I’m a volunteer… lol

The map with helltides looks different now. Is it still crashing in 1.1.2?

edit: nvm it happened after 45 minutes of helltides.

Crashed today for the second time in hell tide. I am a HC player and this is unacceptable on blizzards end. It is only crashing during hell tides. I lost two characters due to this. Making me and others want to quit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.