Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023

And people are still trying to put the responsibility for the safety of their hardware on people who can’t find anything. Oh, no.

When people talk about the quality of Blizzard, they mean the art direction, not the quality of the technical execution.
The most you can hope for is a spectacular firework from your PC that will be truly beautiful. But no safety can be trusted to them! Safety is not a job for game developers, it’s a job for hardware developers.

I have found a way to keep the crashing at bay for myself atleast. It seems after I change the settings from ultra to high my VRAM drops back below 10GB and then slowly climbs. I keep switching once it reaches 15GB

So far its keeped the crashes away… for now

3 Likes

Thanks! I had no idea why ReBar was off in my BIOS settings. Thanks for the reminder.

Also, if you have an AMD GPU, activate FidelityFX using performance mode. I’m finally able to play the game on high settings with high textures without any stuttering.

For those wondering how to activate ReBar in AMD GPUs, make sure your system is compatible.

Edit – Added more information.

Compatible CPUs:

• Zen 3: Ryzen 9 5950X, Ryzen 9 5900X, Ryzen 7 5800X, Ryzen 7 5700X, Ryzen 5 5600X, Ryzen 5 5500X, Ryzen 3 5300X, Ryzen 3 5300G, Ryzen 3 5200G, Ryzen 3 5100G
  • Zen 4: Ryzen 7 6800U, Ryzen 5 6600U, Ryzen 7 6800HX, Ryzen 5 6600HX, Ryzen 9 6900HX, Ryzen 7 6800H, Ryzen 5 6600H, Ryzen 9 6900U, Ryzen 7 6800U, Ryzen 5 6600U

Compatible GPUs:

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
  • AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
  • AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
  • AMD Radeon RX 6800
  • AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT

Your motherboard may not support ReBar, so be sure to check that as well.

To activate ReBar, follow these steps:

1. Restart your computer and press the BIOS or UEFI key as soon as it starts up. This key is usually either Delete, F2, or F10.
  2. Once you are in the BIOS or UEFI, navigate to the Advanced or Overclocking settings.
  3. Look for an option called Advanced\PCI Subsystem Settings.
  4. Enable “Above 4G Decoding” and set “Resizable BAR” to Auto.
  5. Save your changes and exit the BIOS or UEFI.

Note: This can affect the performance of some games that do not support ReBar. If you experience poor performance in other games, you may need to disable this function.

1 Like

Let me guess, still nothing from Blizzard hum? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

nope, nada, zero, zilch

1 Like

It will surely be a priority issue in tomorrow’s Campfire. :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeh most likely like always they will accidently avoid things that will show their non professionalism. Or anything that is too difficult for their comprehension which in all fairness, is quiet a lot.

Meanwhile 366 cinders lost in the process over the last 2 days because of framestuttering… Helltides weren’t worth it anymore anyway… They were fun to do before the heavy nerfs… but they are impossible to do with this buggy performance.

I was just watching my Wattage…

GPU (3060ti)… just walking around in town… capped at 90fps… using ~ 85-90W… I open up vendor GUI… ->>>> 190W… thanks blizz… we pay 6 times more for electricity overhere in the EU than the cheap utilities in the US.

Not to mention that the GUI elements are highly unresponsive… still… since the release of the game… frame stutters and unplayability… since the release of the game…

5 Likes

Blockquote That is a failure of the safeguards all modern CPUs, GPUs, Motherboards and Windows have in place to prevent system damage.

Please do not suggest that this problem is anything other than YOURS, blizzard. I intentionally didn’t capitalize the B in your name, because the state of this game is SHAMEFUL, ok? FFS

1 Like

Never fails to amaze me how some people cant get why we are complaining…

Better cooling or lower settings in this situation is NOT the solution, because some of you ppl misidentify the problem statement.

The problem is disproportionate and unjustified performance demand in specific scenarios.

If you GPU has TDP of 300W, works under TDP for 95% of the time but spikes to 1000W when you open file explorer, the solution is NOT to update the PSU and put the PC into a freezer, right? You’d probably go chase Microsoft on what the hell is wrong with file explorer?

5 Likes

Of course not. In the vast majority of games, the load varies. And that’s fine. The game doesn’t know about any 1000W. It just gives the load. Your PC can have no fans at all and have negative temperature on all the hardware. And if the game crashes because of the surge, it shouldn’t do that. If your video card can draw 1000W. Then it is designed for that and should work fine.

That’s the only thing that’s true. But that’s not for you to decide. You don’t need to bring in temperatures, fan speeds, and the like.

After 1.1 I began having an issue with D4, a black screen with audio. It’s happened at least 3 times since 1.1, twice today. No issues with any other program. Nothing specific that triggers it that I can tell, other than being in game. It’s happened when I’m in dungeons, happened in town, happened when nothing is happening on screen. My CPU and GPU temps never go above 50. I suppose it’s technically not a crash since the game is still running, but the screen is black, the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive, the DisplayPort stops being detected but you can still hear the sound effects from the game. Alt-tab or Ctrl-alt-del don’t work. The only way out of it is to hard reset the computer. Prior to this I could have 5+ hour gaming sessions with both D4, WoW, Total War Warhammer 3 and not have any issues at all.

I ran the Windows event viewer, as usual it shows nothing useful other than that the system unexpectedly stopped (6008) and that it restarted without a clean shutdown (41). Both errors were expected because I manually shut the system down.

My system specs are:

Falcon Northwest Talon
13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K with 280mm liquid cooling
Kingston Fury Beast RGB 64GB (2x32GB) - 6000MHz
LG UtraGear 27GN950 (3840x2160@144Hz)
4083MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 (NVIDIA)
Power Supply Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200 Watt
1863GB KINGSTON SFYRD2000G (SATA-2 (SSD))
Windows 11

My system cost $6k from Falcon Northwest, so I have 20+ pages of stress tests they did on the CPU, GPU, PSU, prior to delivery to me. All passed.

I have HDR activated, I play both WoW and D4 in 4k. My Windows 11 power preferences are set to Balanced. I have auto shut off for Windows updates disabled. My NVIDIA drivers are fully up to date. Are there any other drivers I should be updating?

If there’s something causing my GPU to shut down and the fans to go to 100%, it’s only D4 that is triggering it, and only after the launch of Season 1 patch. Doesn’t happen in WoW, COD or Total War Warhammer 3 and I play all those in 4k with max settings no problem. And it’s only happening during quiet moments of the game, like when I’m in town selling inventory, or at the end of a NM dungeon with the glyph upgrade screen open, or moving from one part of a map to another. I’m fairly confident my system should be more than enough to handle D4.

I tried the solution that someone mentioned earlier about disabling the loading of High Resolution Assets, unfortunately it did not solve the problem for me.

Was there some system change that was put through with D4 season 1 patch that could be causing this for me? I’m going to try and reinstall D4 and see if that fixes it. Any other possible solutions from anyone? I would hate for this to be what stops me from playing the game but it is frustrating.

1 Like

I’ll just reply to the last sentences of the last post… No it is not you… It is not your nice system…

It is the technical state D4 has been in since release (and assumably way before that)… It is clear that blizzard has no ideas on how to fix any of it or just choose to ignore the many, many, many players having issues.

I do know that for me, after that major nerf patch but also after the one before that, things got exponentially worse for me and are now at the point where the game frequently is unplayable… Or totally unenjoyable because knowing blizzard doesn’t care that much, totally kills the enjoyment for me… Funny huh how that works.

3 Likes

Bingo, you’ve uncovered them. And a lot of similar complaints on the internet about %gamename% like a copycat, it’s probably the PR department to divert suspicion from the game.

You are overconfident in the stability of your system, even if it is assembled and tuned by professionals.

Just google your symptoms on the internet. There are plenty of exactly the same complaints about black screen in different games and from AMD and Nvidia owners.

In the meantime, reporit the problem and wait for patches.

Not sure what you are on about… Who is talking about black screens? You know nothing about mine or peoples skill or system, you know nothing about their problems or their stability of their system.

Just another blanket statement from an unknown… Yes it is good you are unknown.

1 Like

Just like all the others in this thread.

Ignore him, he’s just a troll who pretends to be “the computer friend” without even knowing what the main problem is.

You know, someone has to defend developers who can’t even fix their own game. :wink:

4 Likes

And? This is not a thread about “out of memory” issue, which target like 1% of player base, maybe less? While vendor bug affect every single player on PC. And nope, no mention, nothing.

It’s like we are playing different games.

Sigh

4 Likes

number of the beast is mine!

Hey everyone,

Long threads like this tend to get derailed as people with completely separate issues come in or things devolve into arguments. Many of the core issues that could contribute to this specific topic have long since been addressed or player resolved through troubleshooting. A lot of the newer posts are not related or not constructive so I will be closing this thread out.

If your crash was unrelated to the title of this post, please find a currently active thread describing your issue or if there isn’t one, create one with the main symptom in your title and the remaining details in the body of the post.

If you have been consistently seeing the exact issue described in the title of this post, we recommend going over any of the troubleshooting provided by other players who were experiencing this issue and resolved it through that troubleshooting. If none of it helps, go ahead and create a new post with the main symptom in the title and remaining details plus previously tried troubleshooting in the body.