Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023

I’m still baffled that there is zero communication on this topic from devs.

Not a single response to at least aknowledge the issue, which can be reproduced on ANY machine, specs does not matter (tho more powereful GPUs suffer the most).

This is just show that “we hear you” or “we monitor all forum topics” is a complete lie.

8 Likes

I have the exact same issues, even though reflex is off, graphics are set to low and i have a 2080 super… It is outrageous that Blizzard hasn’t responded yet, let alone fixed it… I will keep commenting here until there is a blue post.

3 Likes

You can get an answer by contacting support directly. It will likely be exactly the same as the answer from Blue post. This answer will not satisfy you with 95% probability, there is no point in writing such Blue posts. All instructions for troubleshooting are in the attached post in the technical support section. All your crashes are sent to developers and developers analyze them and make a conclusion whether it is their problem or not, if they consider this problem as their own they try to fix it.

Just want to add, the new NPC for season thats in our first city hub for crafting the hearts has almost no power draw increase.
Main difference, the window where the NPC normally shows is missing (The NPC is actually not there, and its just a desk).

So the massive power draw / gpu hit has to be coming from the window where the NPC is rendered, and the actual NPC’s have some intense draw calls causing a huge strain on the GPU.

Either reduce the crazy detail / draw call or have an option to toggle static NPC frame.

5 Likes

Imagine this game is posted to be sold on Steam, it would get overwhelmingly negative status immediately.

3 Likes

Although I doubt very much that the problem is solved.
It’s like saying “we did something, but we don’t know what”

Wonder if they even read this thread… It is clear that the campfire chat was just for show.

Nothing… Absolutely NOTHING has been done to fix frame stuttering or the horrible performance in this game… And yes, I did send logs to the e-mail address with full description weeks ago and didn’t get so much as an auto-reply.

If you are so much listening to the community… Wtf not even respond in this thread?

I think that comm director (lol) needs to try and find a job better suited for him as it is clear communication skills are non existent.

2 Likes

That’s why he hides behind a private Twitter account, so he can hide for not doing his job.

EDIT: The problem is still not fixed.

1 Like

Well, after today’s hotfix it seems nothing has really changed on the crashing front. Haven’t checked vendors yet, but did just have a wonderful crash that hard locked my computer for about 5 minutes for no bloody reason.

I’m getting really tired of how much of a technical disaster this game is, it should not be running this poorly and locking up my whole computer multiple times on modern hardware (3070 etc.).

Pull engineers off other projects if need be, but this issue needs to be bloody addressed. What happened to the Blizzard that produced technically astounding games that just ran beautifully? I miss that Blizzard, it’s a shame.

1 Like

Well I hope they have a fix for this with 1.1.1 patch otherwise I’m really gonna be mad about it. I mean how hard can it be to limit the rendering or give the option to deactivate it (static picture)

1 Like

update I just had a black screen driver loss forced to restart so nothing has been corrected.
before that I reinstalled the drivers and the game without the high texture pack.
setting high in the option. the memory always go over my 16 go vram.

before the patch my game was crashing on a black screen after 3-4 hours, since the patch my game no longer crashes but every hour, freezes for 10sec and after is unplayable fps drop 100+ to 20 fps, I have to restart. every hour max 2 .
my setting texture ultra i switch on high but still the same. My vram always 16g…

My spec
3650x 6800xt
32goram system, 16g Vram
Win 10 . driver up to date; default setting in amd app

2 Likes

Well I hope they have a fix for this with 1.1.1 patch otherwise I’m really gonna be mad about it. I mean how hard can it be to limit the rendering or give the option to deactivate it (static picture)

It’s worse. I’ve had maybe 2-3 crashes myself since early launch, but since the season 1 patch, it’s crashing every time I attempt to play now.

2 Likes

Since the game came out I have black screens that force me to force restart the pc. It always happens when opening windows of vendors, occultists, etc. They happen quite frequently, every 5min-3h depending on the day, I tried everything clean windows installation, change graphics to low…
I have amd ryzen 5800x
amd 6800xt graphics card
32gb ram
It’s the only game I’ve had these problems with so far.

1 Like

Let’s add to the list.

I’ve had my share of black screens, with 100% fan noise, having to hard reset my pc several times while playing this game.
Started digging deep - removing PBO on AMD CPU, stock GPU settings (3070), custom fan profiles. Blaming my setup and current room temperatures.

I wasn’t understanding the issue as the “normal” temp readings were all fine.
80% gpu usage, 76C - 67C CPU. Nothing alarming.
It was only when using HWinfo that i got to see the issue:

GPU Hotspot max temperature reads 106°C.

It is 20-30°C higher then the avg GPU temp…
I"ve seen it climb to 105C easily. But didn’t let it go further anymore for obvious reasons.

This game seem to be heating a very local part on the GPU.
And as avg temp is not affected, the usual fan spin-up and throttling doesnt occur.
When it reaches 110°C, safety kicks in, fans go at 100% and system turns off.

Limiting fps to 60 somewhat limits the issue.
Skipping all dialogues and cutscenes and minimizing inventory management is also recommended as you can clearly see the hotspot temp skyrocketing towards 100+C in those scenario’s, even at 60fps.

2 Likes

No issue with PS5, this game is definitely not optimized for PC.

I think only well optimized software can heat hardware like stress tests. For example Linpack, it’s just a well optimized library sometimes used as a stress test. The game has good optimization, but it also has some problems.

There are many blocks in a GPU that cannot be engaged at the same time or the chip will melt down. The problem of idle parts is called “dark silicon”.
Here is an example of this problem.

https://cdn.pixelbin.io/v2/dummy-cloudname/af.remove()~sr.upscale(t:2x)/__editor/__upscale_media/2023-7-22/fViYw7wCZFQEcP4BRSk0q.jpeg

Surely applications don’t have the low-level access to control such a process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_silicon

Short follow-up.

I solved my huge gap between avg temps and hotspot by replacing thermal paste on my gpu.
Now i’m seeing 72°C max temp with max hotspot at 83°C.
Only had a short test-session.

The delta between both temps is only 10° now instead of 30-ish…

This game just happened to push my card hard enough for me to identify the root cause.

It looks like you may have a defective video card or the air flow in your case is sub-optimal. At constant 100% usage if the fans are working properly it shouldn’t go higher than 80-82C.

There is definitely an issue with the game in terms of UI that does increase the load percentage but temperature is on your side. I’d open the case and make sure the fans are all working and maybe leave the side panel off see if it helps. That would be the main concern, get your temperature under control if possible otherwise it would be the card itself.

Anyone know if upgrading to Windows 11 helps? My friend and I have very similar PC builds and he has no issues with crashing. The only difference really is he upgraded to Win 11 and im still on Win 10

PC:
Ryzen 7 7700x
RX6950 XT
32GB DDR5 5200

His pc is the same just 64GB ram

I have windows 11 and crash every 10-15 minutes since season 1. So don’t get Windows 11 thinking that will help unless you just want to get Windows 11 for different reasons.