Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023

just adding to say that I have the same problem. for ages!

2 Likes

I’m not sure what settings I changed over time but before the last patch I think I had mostly gotten rid of or at least seriously reduced the vendor GPU heat spike thing but after the patch (or possibly after updating my GPU driver which reset some of D4’s graphic settings I think) it’s back.

It’s very annoying, I feel like I have to rush at any NPC so I can close the window quickly before the NPC tries to murder my GPU.

6 Likes

Turning NVIDIA reflex off seemed to reduce the heat significantly. Doing a brief test at an NPC, it went up to 78c fairly quickly at an occultist with it on, only 58c with it off.

edit: some npcs are worse than others I think, I actually hit 80c with ozren in kyorshavad open for awhile.

3 Likes

i tried this and its worked

I have this problem as well. I have rtx 4070 ti and have no issues whatsoever at 144 fps cap with ultra 1440p settings everywhere except inventory UI or a vendor like the blacksmith. The GPU utilization, temperature both go up the longer the UI elements are on screeen. I capped fps at 100 which is more acceptable but I would not leave the game at a vendor for a long time. This is a pretty serious bug in a game with tons of inventory management and vendor usage. Please make this a priority problem to fix. I can see this easily burning out high end video card unless the user is paying close attention. I have tried all the adjustments mentioned, but none solve the problem.

6 Likes

I’m on Xbox ps5 players are having the issue too. So this won’t help any of us. It’s a vram issue or a memory leak causing the came to completely crash try reading care bears post.

2 Likes

I’ve got a 4090 with an i9-13900K. I can pull an entire zone and my PC won’t flinch, but if I open a vendor my fans scream for help. I’ve got framerate capped at 144, but no DLSS on, because I want to play the game at max settings, which my hardware should more than support.

update: Watching my GPU performance, it jumps from 25% to 90% and goes from 70 degrees to 85 degress any time I talk to a vendor. This is pretty insane.

4 Likes

0 communication on this issue… well played blizzard :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I noticed that with the UI as well. I’m capped at 144fps and when I open my inventory it goes down to the low 120s. Let’s be honest here, a UI should not have that much of an impact lol

2 Likes

Blizzard is silent because they have no solution and the financial liability from damaged hardware could be pretty large. They should have information, a warning, and or advice on settings to mitigate this in the meantime.

4 Likes

Come on Blizzard the lack of responses in this topic is getting pathetic. This is a huge problem that should take priority over your stupid cash shop and class balance. We already found the problem for you it shouldn’t take more than a few days to fix it from a company with your resources. Cap the FPS in the dang 3d character models in the inventory and vendor windows.

6 Likes

Sign!!! it‘s definitly one of the problems - i agree with u. On the freaking Vendor Menu, my GPU take 340 Watt!!! In Dungeons i have 220-240 Watt.

RTX 3090

4 Likes

Look here. The same :frowning:

3 Likes

I have this issue too (amongst others - see: Fenris error/crash)…every time I open the inventory, even without any vendor interaction the GPU usage jumps close to 100% and thus the power consumption and heat goes to the roof! My system: 9900K, 4070 Ti, 1TB NVME, 32 GB DDR4-3800

2 Likes

That doesn’t help the console users

Is everyone mad enough to go pound them on Twitter yet. Go to their Twitter page and pound them with posts till they either role it back or fix it. I wanna see on the news in the morning.

3 Likes

They just pushed a patch out to the PC users the console users still hosed. So if your on a PC go check and see if it’s fixed or not.

Doesn’t fix the vendor menus ramping up gpu fans and wattage, actually they haven’t even acknowledged the problem :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ya looks like it’s still crap. Had my fingers crossed for ya. I’m on a console so I’m still hosed any way.

They do know for sure, for at least a month now. You can see a “blue” on top made a post to gather reports on “Diablo IV - Vendor/Inventory Performance Issue.”

But… Nothing since then, literally a month of silence. /sad

2 Likes